on 2 June 2001
I was surprised by this book. I bought it thinking that it would be another Penleope Leach-type read, where you dip in and out. But I found myself fascinated from the first page. I had no idea how important exercise was for children, for example, although that sounds obvious, it's amazing that there are many things we don't know. I loved the chapters on the emotional health of our children and on natural therapies. The sleep chapter was better than any of the books that I've read, and believe me, there are many. Karen Sullivan not only explains them extremely well,but provides information that I've simply never seen before. The best part of it is that it all works. It's practical and it's interesting and it's pretty much fun. I have a 13-year-old and a 2-year-old, so I have an awful lot of differing problems on my hand at all times. This book has dealt with everything that's come up over the past few months and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any reader with children of any ages. In fact, I already have. This is the modern, unjudgemental book for parents who need a bit of guidance from time to time. It's great.
on 1 June 2001
Why did no one tell me about this sooner? Having had three children already, and been uncomfortable in the main about the kind of treatment they've been getting in the doctor's office, at school and in every aspect of their lives, I was astonished to find that I am not alone in this thinking. This is an indispensable handbook for any caring parent. It has all the alternatives to health problems (most of which work, by the way) and really looks at things like diet, sleep, exercise and even emotional health in a practical, caring and insightful way. This book has become my bible and I've recommended it to everyone. I implore you to read it. It changed my whole approach to childcare, and everyone I know agrees. Fantastic and the perfect antidote to the 21st century approach to everything.
on 6 June 2001
This book includes advice on eating the right food to relieve, cure or prevent symptoms. It means you can often help your children(or yourself) straight away with items from the kitchen, not just wait until you can get to a health food store or pharmacy. It gives you just about all the alternative options available, meaning you may just have something in the house already.
on 15 January 2001
Finally a book written by someone who understands children and has practical, realistic solutions to modern problems. This is a fascinating book - I actually read it from cover to cover - and I learned more about how children work than in any of the hundreds of books I have lining my shelves. It addresses all the real issues that face parents, such as food and nutrition, exercise (where have you ever seen this addressed?), sleep and all the natural therapies and remedies and tips that make parenting a healthy and a sick child easy! The best part, however, is the emotional health chapter, which was a real eye-opener. This book is a must for any caring parent. I'm not surprised to see it so well reviewed on the jacket and in the newspapers. This is a marvellous book.
on 1 August 2001
I'd really like to avoid stuffing my one-year-old with chemicals. I don't knit my own yoghurt, but I am aware that we don't really know the long term effects of so many things we are almost forced to place in or on our children.
This book is wonderful - explaining just about anything you could possibly want to know about healthcare for our children, in a sensible manner. Karen Sullivan is not anti- everything manmade, but explains the good, the bad, and the options.
It's not just for babies - I think that by the time my boy comes of age, this book will be one of the most referred to, this being a comprehensive source of alternative treatments to most problems that are likely to arise. There are a few sections that might put people off, if they prefer not to consider the more spiritual side of healthcare, but the Health Service is not doing such a good job, in my opinion, so perhaps it is time we considered the alternatives.
This book is easy to read and refer to, dipping in when necessary - though I think I'll make my way through the whole thing for once, out of interest.
And at last, someone can tell me how much a portion is - crazy, but no other of my several childcare books explains this, just tells you how (a tablespoon, by the way - as a reasonable rule - we're not all born knowing these things).
Thoroughly recommended.
on 26 January 2001
This is an excellent book covering all aspects of natural health care for the child - a gold mine of information for the concerned parent.
on 18 March 2015
Very good book, fast delivery.
on 20 February 2001
This is the first childcare book I've come across that covers all the controversial issues of the day, and I found it fascinating (and scary) to read some of the research about the MMR, non-organic food etc . My favourite bits were the psychology chapters, and ways to test your child to see how their mind works. A must for every parent!
on 30 January 2001
IT was so refreshing to have an alternative way to bring up children. I love the natural way and very much believe in organic foods. I didn't realise that a little bit of organic cheese will help clean our childrens teeth. IT really is fantastic book.