4.0 out of 5 stars definitely worth a read
I've had trouble with my skin for many years, tried all sorts of treatments, alternative remedies/therapies and changes in diet but the advice in this book around supplements and what to increase has really helped.
Published on 6 Aug 2009 by Clare

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I had high hopes for this book, but was extremely disappointed. THe book is extremely general, and extremely thin. It could have been a lot more detailed.
Published on 22 April 2011 by Jan

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely worth a read, 6 Aug 2009
This review is from: Solve Your Skin Problems (Optimum Nutrition Handbook) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good tips!, 10 Mar 2012
My skin hasn't been in good shape forever and I never get the good answers from GP's or dermatologists I visit. That is the reason why I decided to read a few books! The book has some useful information but I would have liked it to be more in depth. Still, I do have some good leads I can follow. You find in this book information about several skin problems like Psoriasis, Acne, Bags under the Eyes, Rosacea, Skin Cancer, Eczema and Dermatitis, Cellulite, Rashes and Hives, Cold Sores, Fungal Infections, Warts, Impetigo and Vitiligo. Some of the chapters are maybe a bit too short, I would have liked a bit more in depth information but this is a good start! There is also information about detox, digestion, diet, food allergies and supplements. You will also learn about external skin care and harmful ingredients in skin care products although about that subject I am going to read another book soon: Toxic Beauty: The Hidden Chemicals in Cosmetics and How They Can Harm Us! A book I also enjoyed was Skin Fitness: Safe and healthy skin care, there I learnt that some of my problems come from being always to well wrapped which means that I sweat too much and don't let my immune system work in order to keep my warm!

There is also an useful test where you can see your detox capacity.

There are a few things in this book I don't agree with, like the advice to stay out of the sun. The sun is too important for one's health to avoid it completely! Better use your common sense and be in the sun for long enough but without burning! Still, this book is already 11 years old and back then avoiding the sun was a very common advice! It is true that at the end he acknowledges that sun screens can be a real problem, something a lot of people still ignore! I also don't agree with the use of soya or his fear of fats, especially saturated fats. As far as pure water goes of course we should all have access to it but it is almost impossible to know what you are drinking be it tap or spring water, unless you have your own well and let your water be tested! On page 59 there seems to be a typo because it lists the amount of Vitamin A you should take as being in a range between 7500 to 2000iu. The authors also advise eating lin and sesame seeds without talking about phytic acid. I would have liked to know more about that.... And I wouldn't tell people to give red meat and salt completely, they are both needed in our diet, at least that is my opinion! Diets without salt can be quite dangerous! The idea that we should drink loads of water can also bring a few problems! I did it last year and I became very dehydrated! Maybe it works for some people but not for everybody. My eyes and my mouth became very, very dry especially during the night, to the point that I thought that I had Sjogren's disease! So.... be careful!

Still, if you are on a journey to cure your skin problems I really think that this book can fill in some gaps in information you might have!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 22 April 2011
Most of the book is on general nutrition, with a few pages dedicated to a number of skin complaints. I would have expected the proportion to be the other way round, with most of the book dedicated to skin conditions and a small section at the beginning on general nutrition. If I wanted a book on general nutrition, then I would have ordered one.
Some of the information was inacurate, I thought this may have been because the book was written some years ago, however it has been updated recently.
Overall I was very disappointed with this book. You would probably be better to buy a general book on nutrition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use book, 21 May 2009
D. Maddox (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is really easy to read and understand. The suggestions made are straightforward and items pretty easy to source.
As with all Patrick Holford's book, it all makes sense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here, 20 Oct 2009
I bought this after my doctor told me that my skin problems were caused by a hormone imbalance! I was very disappointed as the contents are the same as other books I have on the subject......some good advice but it didn't help with the overall appearance of my skin, even though I followed it to the T!
As hormones are so individual, it may prove to be 100% perfect for other people, so for the small cost, could well be worth a go!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 26 Nov 2012
This was recommended by a friend for solving a specific problem. It didn't but a visit to the docs did. Probably unreasonable expectations on my part but it's not really my bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, strongly recommended., 5 Aug 2012
A lot of valuable information. As always, Patrick Holford's book is very helpful in addressing health problems and showing you the pathway to a healthy live.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, 7 Nov 2013
It was not stated that this was a different edition from the one pictured. The cover is incredibly different. The book was in acceptable condition although the pages were quite yellowed.

Solve Your Skin Problems (Optimum Nutrition Handbook)
Solve Your Skin Problems (Optimum Nutrition Handbook) by Natalie Savona (Paperback - 6 Aug 2009)
6.99