4.0 out of 5 stars JURY STILL OUT BUT.....
I am two weeks into the suggested plan and have experienced a reduction in pain in hands and back and one slightly enlarged knuckle joint has gone down. The book is very easy to understand, giving practical knowledge and suggestions. I have already recommended it to a friend with arthritis.
Published on 27 Oct. 2005 by mmrich

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not all good
This book gets off to a really good, positive start. As with most Holford books, it emphasises the importance of a good, balanced diet as a way of preventing a number of modern diseases. It also talks about the science of arthritis, in a very clear, concise way. I'd been looking for a good summary like this for a while.

The book loses 2 stars for two quite...
Published on 19 Jan. 2012 by G. J. Nichol

4.0 out of 5 stars JURY STILL OUT BUT....., 27 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Say No To Arthritis: The proven drug free guide to preventing and relieving arthritis (Optimum Nutrition Handbook) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 4 Aug. 2009
T. Hamilton-james (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
Extremely helpful book. It was a lot more scientific than I had expected, which in my opinion gives it more credibility. I've recommended it to a couple of people who suffer as I do. There a a number of gems which I have found easy to incorporate into a busy life and I am already getting the benefits. Much better than relentless NSAIDS and hospital appointments.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new light, 9 May 2002
In the last few months my view on health and disease has completly changed. Patrick Holford shows how all health problems are entirely due to lifestyle and nutrition and that in fact most diseases, even arthritis are completly avoidable. The book is very imformative, has everything you could possibly want from the title. It mostly concerns people already suffering from arthritis. Although it also has a wealth of preventitive measures. I have first hand experience of the ideas in the book having tried his ideas and can say its all true.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not all good, 19 Jan. 2012

The book loses 2 stars for two quite important points. Firstly, throughout the book, Holford seems to be subtly pushing the product brands in which he has a commercial interest. When talking about the low GI value of oatcakes for instance, he mentions a brand in which he certainly used to have a very overt interest, and presumably still does.

The second star is lost because the supplement recommendations don't quite cover the latest research, and omit one or two safe supplements which are well studied and known to be very helpful. He mentions SAM-e briefly for instance, but says this is only useful as a painkiller. Current research indicates that it may or may not also be helpful in preventing cartilage degeneration.

This is a useful book, but these are two quite significant flaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arthritis - no need to suffer, 3 July 2000
Sylvia L Pike (aberdeen, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be excellent for its explanation on the causes of arthritis and what we can do to avoid it. I along with many others no doubt thought that arthritis would be an inevitable consequence of growing older - this book gives hope to those who do not wish to suffer from this disease along with many helpful remedies for helping those who already have a problem. Patrick Holford's book is very easy to read and understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Say NO to Arthritis, 6 Feb. 2009
A. Mosley (San Francisco, Ca) - See all my reviews
This is an outstanding book. It is highly readable, almost rivetting, while containing much useful information.
I have already followed up some of the author's advice, and found it successful. Well worth purchasing, and my thanks to Patrick Holford for sharing his wisdom in such an accessible way!

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a useful holistic approach., 17 Aug. 2010
I like the fact that this book offers a holistic approach to managing arthritis.
It offers dietary guidelines, including advice on detecting food intolerances and information on the vitamins, minerals, herbs and spices that may help arthritis. It also looks at how stress can be involved in arthritis flare-ups and suggests helpful exercises. Overall, I think this is a useful guide, though it does contain some controversial dietary advice, such as cutting out foods from the deadly nightshade family e.g. tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines and red, green and yellow peppers; there is no solid scientific evidence that these foods cause arthritis.

Wendy Green author of 50 Things You Can Do To Manage Arthritis

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Pleasing Results with this Book, 9 Mar. 2012
I have never used alternative foods/remedies so I downloaded "Say No to Arthritis" on the strength of the good reviews. Having a reasonable scientific medical background knowledge I was impressed with his rationale and explanations of the various foods and how/why they are effective at combating arthritis. As with any medical book worth its salt, its packed with double-blind case studies, stacking up the evidence.
Now I understand too, why alternative foods are not marketed for their uses in the same way as medicines are, and thats such a pity. We all loose out, that is, unless you are fortunate enough to come across a book such as this one!
I re-read the book noting down his formulae for arthritis recovery (I have OestoArthritis which started 6 months ago and am in my 30's). Perhaps because my arthritis is a fairly recent occurence, I had improvement in my hands/knees within one week and within 2 weeks was pain free on a combination of just natural anti-inflammatories, ginger and tumeric. However, if I forgot to take my supplements I felt twinges. Now, 3 months on, even if I forget I am pain free, although I shall continue to take the high doses for a further 3 months, as Holford suggests, before cutting back. I am ecstatic with the results, and cannot tell enough people about it.
Easy to read, easy to understand, packed with gems of information. I have bought another copy for my brother. Highly, highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life saver, 10 Dec. 2011
This book has really helped me do so many things such as drive, walk or just stand. Since I have been using its advice, my arthritis has improved so much, my doctor asked me for it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, sensible book, 7 Dec. 2010
A really good book if you are serious about wanting to get rid of arthritis. Do what Patrick recommends and it will not only help arthritis, but you will become healthier too and that has so many additional benefits. It's simple common sense nutrition, but a lot of us have never been taught what a healthy diet looks like. Highly recommended.