4.0 out of 5 stars JURY STILL OUT BUT.....
I am two weeks into the suggested plan and have experienced a reduction in pain in hands and back and one slightly enlarged knuckle joint has gone down. The book is very easy to understand, giving practical knowledge and suggestions. I have already recommended it to a friend with arthritis.
Published on 27 Oct 2005 by Maureen M. Rich

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not all good
This book gets off to a really good, positive start. As with most Holford books, it emphasises the importance of a good, balanced diet as a way of preventing a number of modern diseases. It also talks about the science of arthritis, in a very clear, concise way. I'd been looking for a good summary like this for a while.

The book loses 2 stars for two quite...
Published on 19 Jan 2012 by G. J. Nichol

4.0 out of 5 stars JURY STILL OUT BUT....., 27 Oct 2005
Maureen M. Rich "moerich" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Say No To Arthritis: The proven drug free guide to preventing and relieving arthritis (Optimum Nutrition Handbook) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 4 Aug 2009
T. Hamilton-james (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
Extremely helpful book. It was a lot more scientific than I had expected, which in my opinion gives it more credibility. I've recommended it to a couple of people who suffer as I do. There a a number of gems which I have found easy to incorporate into a busy life and I am already getting the benefits. Much better than relentless NSAIDS and hospital appointments.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new light, 9 May 2002
In the last few months my view on health and disease has completly changed. Patrick Holford shows how all health problems are entirely due to lifestyle and nutrition and that in fact most diseases, even arthritis are completly avoidable. The book is very imformative, has everything you could possibly want from the title. It mostly concerns people already suffering from arthritis. Although it also has a wealth of preventitive measures. I have first hand experience of the ideas in the book having tried his ideas and can say its all true.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not all good, 19 Jan 2012

The book loses 2 stars for two quite important points. Firstly, throughout the book, Holford seems to be subtly pushing the product brands in which he has a commercial interest. When talking about the low GI value of oatcakes for instance, he mentions a brand in which he certainly used to have a very overt interest, and presumably still does.

The second star is lost because the supplement recommendations don't quite cover the latest research, and omit one or two safe supplements which are well studied and known to be very helpful. He mentions SAM-e briefly for instance, but says this is only useful as a painkiller. Current research indicates that it may or may not also be helpful in preventing cartilage degeneration.

This is a useful book, but these are two quite significant flaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arthritis - no need to suffer, 3 July 2000
Sylvia L Pike (aberdeen, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be excellent for its explanation on the causes of arthritis and what we can do to avoid it. I along with many others no doubt thought that arthritis would be an inevitable consequence of growing older - this book gives hope to those who do not wish to suffer from this disease along with many helpful remedies for helping those who already have a problem. Patrick Holford's book is very easy to read and understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Pleasing Results with this Book, 9 Mar 2012
I have never used alternative foods/remedies so I downloaded "Say No to Arthritis" on the strength of the good reviews. Having a reasonable scientific medical background knowledge I was impressed with his rationale and explanations of the various foods and how/why they are effective at combating arthritis. As with any medical book worth its salt, its packed with double-blind case studies, stacking up the evidence.
Now I understand too, why alternative foods are not marketed for their uses in the same way as medicines are, and thats such a pity. We all loose out, that is, unless you are fortunate enough to come across a book such as this one!
I re-read the book noting down his formulae for arthritis recovery (I have OestoArthritis which started 6 months ago and am in my 30's). Perhaps because my arthritis is a fairly recent occurence, I had improvement in my hands/knees within one week and within 2 weeks was pain free on a combination of just natural anti-inflammatories, ginger and tumeric. However, if I forgot to take my supplements I felt twinges. Now, 3 months on, even if I forget I am pain free, although I shall continue to take the high doses for a further 3 months, as Holford suggests, before cutting back. I am ecstatic with the results, and cannot tell enough people about it.
Easy to read, easy to understand, packed with gems of information. I have bought another copy for my brother. Highly, highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Say NO to Arthritis, 6 Feb 2009
A. Mosley (San Francisco, Ca) - See all my reviews
This is an outstanding book. It is highly readable, almost rivetting, while containing much useful information.
I have already followed up some of the author's advice, and found it successful. Well worth purchasing, and my thanks to Patrick Holford for sharing his wisdom in such an accessible way!

1.0 out of 5 stars Never listen to Holford, 29 Jun 2014
Midagma (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
On the advice of Holford in his book "Natural Highs, co-written with Hyla Cass, I took two L-Tryptophan capsules to attempt to allviate light insomnia. I had read in the book about a tragedy Tryptophan had caused in the 80s, when many paeople died and thousands were left disabled after consuming Tryptophan. I felt re-assured that this had been a one-off, the ook states so, that Tryptophan was "safe and effective" as the book pronounced, that the problem wit Tryptophan had been "remedied", as Cass dictates in a YouTube video. Encouraged by these "experts" I felt certain it was now safe to take Tryptophan, and what had happened previously was a one off, understood, and gone beyond. How wrong I was. I am now disabled as a result of taking only two L-Tryptophan capsules (they almost killed me). And yet I have been lucky. I was in touch with a young mother last year who also became ill after taking Tryptophan, she had exactly the same disease symptoms as myself (which paralleled the cases of EMS in the 80s). She died a few months after I met her and her lovely family from diaphragmatic failure, one of the number one causes of death in EMS. Holford is a highly dubious character and certainly not the nutritional guru he would have the public believe he is, he is quite simply a dangerous man. I have researched quite a bit on him since I became seriously ill and know that the only qualification he has in the field of nutrition was granted on him partly by himself as director of a company he was running. (An honorary title). Highly suspect, research this individual yourself and for the benefit of your own health, stop listening to anything this fool says.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a useful holistic approach., 17 Aug 2010
I like the fact that this book offers a holistic approach to managing arthritis.
It offers dietary guidelines, including advice on detecting food intolerances and information on the vitamins, minerals, herbs and spices that may help arthritis. It also looks at how stress can be involved in arthritis flare-ups and suggests helpful exercises. Overall, I think this is a useful guide, though it does contain some controversial dietary advice, such as cutting out foods from the deadly nightshade family e.g. tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines and red, green and yellow peppers; there is no solid scientific evidence that these foods cause arthritis.

Wendy Green author of 50 Things You Can Do To Manage Arthritis

5.0 out of 5 stars Life saver, 10 Dec 2011
This book has really helped me do so many things such as drive, walk or just stand. Since I have been using its advice, my arthritis has improved so much, my doctor asked me for it

13.01