4.0 out of 5 stars This Works
Published on 4 Oct 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars This Works With Some Will Power But Has Draw Backs
I bought this book because the other reviews said it was great and it really works.
After having tried it now for nearly three weeks I have had some good results. However it has draw backs, hence the 3 star rating.
Firstly the book tends to push you to buy supplements from one particular manufacturer, more than others mentioned.
Secondly the recipes in the...
Published on 6 Mar 2006 by milesfb

4.0 out of 5 stars This Works, 4 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: 30-Day Fat Burner Diet: Control Your Weight Forever (Paperback)
Having been a personal trainer for many years I am constantly looking for nutrition plans that can enhance my clients results. I have been a great believer in Barry Sear's Zone diet and it is refreshing to see Patrick Holford applying his nutritional knowledge to Sear's theory. This book basically reworks the Zone diet in a slightly less restrictive way with more interesting food choices.
I use this way of eating myself and find it works. I recommend it to anyone who needs to lose body fat. If you only stick to it 5 days out of 7 you'll still see great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best change of lifestyle I ever made, 5 Oct 2001
By A Customer
Sadly I am one of those girls who has tried very many diets. Finally I realised that there is no easy way and I should think about changing my bad eating habits. This book has helped me change the way I eat and as a result I have lost the weight.
It provides a good range of ideas for meals over a 4 weeks period which I found very helpful. I was introduced to new foods that I would never normally have looked at in the supermarket, and now this has become my lifestyle.
One of the reviews stated that with such small portion sizes, she does not see a 20oz piece of chicken filling her, but you would be surprised, becuase you can fill yourself up on salad and veggies. And lets face it, most people over eat anyway so cutting your portion sizes would seem very difficult to start, but once you are used to it, you wont feel hungry.
I found this way of eating gave me a lot of energy, cleared my skin and made me feel better about myself, especially when the kg's started to come off. I would definately recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about loosing weight, but also wanting a healthier lifestyle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point for eating well and losing a few lbs, 4 May 1999
By A Customer
Excellent ideas, very simply presented. I think the validity of the ideas for changing your diet are let down by the style of the book, which makes it appear another 'faddy' diet which it is not. (Also the number of typos and mistakes rather detract from the book..he should change publisher!) However, the diet is excellent..for once here is a diet which actually makes you feel better, brighter and more alert. Despite the slight caveats regarding presentation,if you are looking for a diet book then I recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS, 10 Mar 2008
I've just lost 4 stones with this. The only way to do it is to cut the bad habits that are killing you. If British culture is overloaded with binge drinking, cigarette puffing, meat eating slobs then that's why they are dying too young. Holford is sending out a message that is loud and clear but if you don't want to accept it you'll not change. The foods are calorie restrictive yet bursting with maximum nutrition and therein lies the secret of the diet - you won't be hungry but you'll be satisfied and healthy. You MUST try this, you will not be disappointed.

Another excellent book from a true genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 12 Oct 2010
one of the most life changing books ever to come across my desk (literally)
It made perfect sense from page one and I have now different thinking habits never mind eating ones. My taste buds have changed completely and I can sniff out sugarloaded foods at 50 paces. This is now a lifestyle for me not a pick up when you want to lose weight diet book. The biggest addiction in my life was caffine however many times I'd tried to give it up and could just not kick it, well I don't even enjoy the taste of coffee now after 5 full months of no stimulant intake whatsoever! Amazing! I've bought 3 extra copies for family and friends who have been so impressed with the way I look and how much weight I've lost, they want their own book too. A 'must' to keep referrring back to, time and time again.

3.0 out of 5 stars This Works With Some Will Power But Has Draw Backs, 6 Mar 2006
milesfb (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
Secondly the recipes in the back of the book, whilst fairly delicious, sometimes have inaccurate quantities for the ingredients. By this I mean that some recipes have huge quantities for certain ingredients, while others have enough ingredients just for one. However it does not state at the start of each recipe how many people it’s meant to serve. So you can end up wondering if the huge meal you’ve made your self is meant for just one person or may be more. When you’re trying to loose weight quantity is rather critical.
Thirdly, the book can tend to be a little vague on how you are meant to undertake certain cooking methods. For example the paragraph on steam frying seems slightly unclear on how long you are meant to steam fry food for.
Lastly, and this is the main criticism, the book states you should try to completely break the addiction to alcohol, chocolate, sugar and cigarettes. Whilst I agree with the latter, you cannot be expected to completely sacrifice these pleasures in life – chocolate and alcohol is a very big part of British culture. Also it does not really offer any informal regime as such for when you can cheat. It just recommends you cut these addictions as soon and as best you can. There have been other diet books which factor in luxuries such as this.
Therefore you can end up thinking that you already knew most of this anyway – cutting out the sugar and booze is bound to make you loose weight, common sense.
However on the good side the book does offer you new ideas in food which will really make you burn fat (provided you can get the quantities of each ingredient right).
So in a nut shell it’s quite a good book after a fair bit of trial and error. So I do recommend you buying this purely for the new ideas it has.
Thanks for reading this.
Miles

5.0 out of 5 stars it works, 11 Feb 2004
By A Customer
I totally disagree with the reviewer who says stay away if you are lactose intolerent, however i am only wheat intolerent, gluten is ok for me. This book is fab though, much more energy and feeling cleansed, and i didn't stick to the puny amounts in the recipies, instead just using the information about keeping your blood sugar even. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good so far., 7 July 2012
This man talks a lot of sense. I have several of his books and I am very happy with them all. He talks in plain English and explains the technical terms he uses clearly. I have only just started using this lifestyle plan (not calling it a diet plan) and am making changes as I read through the book again. I have improved my energy levels and there is also a small decrease in my weight. I expect that to continue - obviously once the food cupboard is cleared of the existing items. Some items can be expensive (Get Up and Go breakfast shake is dearer than Slimfast but it keeps me fuller for longer) but alternatives are available if you are careful. I am milk and gluten intolerant and have found that the symptoms I have experienced due to this have been alleviated considerably.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some very good ideas, 22 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This book contains many well researched ideas to assist with weight loss - especially with regard to carbohydrate consumption, supplements, making healthy changes etc.
The actual weight loss plan is VERY calorie restrictive. Apparently people following the diet have "never felt hungry" but I find this hard to believe when portion sizes are unrealistically small (2oz skinless chicken breast) is an average.
I know 20z skinless chicken wouldn't keep me going for very long!
However, the book is worth buying, not in terms of a gimmicky 30 day diet plan, but because it contains loads of relevant ideas and information which are probably best incorporated into a long term health plan bit by bit.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy it if your are gluten or lactose intolerant, 24 Jan 2004
By A Customer
It just doesn't work!. It will make your tummy bloated and give you a lot of wind!

30-Day Fat Burner Diet: Control Your Weight Forever
30-Day Fat Burner Diet: Control Your Weight Forever by Patrick Holford (Paperback - 7 Jan 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01