Format: PaperbackChange

on 3 December 2003
This is not a large book but the wisdom it contains is truly inspirational. Ok I am not into feng shui and picked this up at my friends house to read for a laugh. In just a few minutes I was hooked. It is easy to sit and read all in one go and the words are so true that they come back to you when needed and give you the little push to do what needs doing. It is also easy to just dip in to a section that is relevant to your current need. All the stuff that I thought I HAD to keep went and the feeling was of a burden lifted. When my Mum died I know that I would have done my best to hold on to every last one of her belongings if it hadn't been for this book which had already taught me that it was OK to let it go. Now when I am unsure whether to keep anything I ask myself "is it useful?, does it lift my spirits when I see it?" if the answer is no then it goes.Buy this book, you won't be sorry.
on 25 February 2001
I bought Karen's earlier book, 'Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui' about 4 years ago, and it really got things moving in my life! This book takes the clutter clearing even further. I have always been organised and minimalist, and loved putting Karen's principles into practice. Last week, even though I regularly clear out unwanted stuff, I realised that I needed an inspiration boost. This book really did the trick! I have literally been through each cupboard, drawer and shelf in turn, taken everything off/out then decided what to put back. I have been working on my house for five days. Today I cleared two bins full of paper from my 'orderly' files! I have tried on every single item in my wardrobe and finally given myself permission to buy myself some new clothes. After reading Karen's first book, I realised that I bought a lot of things on impulse, and have managed to limit that kind of shopping. After reading this book, I realised that I have been making do with a lot of things that I did not really love. As I have cleared, I am finding peace and joy in my life. I have already given the book to a friend, and I am just about to buy it for another!
on 4 January 2005
I have only had this book for a couple of days, but it's already made a big impact on my thinking. I am an habitual clutterer and my family and friends gave up hope years ago! People could tell me 'til they were blue in the face that I should be tidier, but, somehow, I just couldn't do anything about it; it was like the change had to come from within me somewhere.
I bought this book after seeing Ann Maurice reccommend it to a fellow hoarder on 'House Doctor', and I'm so glad that I did. With each chapter I've read, my inspiration has grown, and I've learnt a lot about myself through facing the reasons why I create clutter. Yesturday, I went to a charity shop and got three bags to fill up with clothes, and I know that this is just the beginning of a long process for me that I hope will free me from the past and allow health and happiness back into my life.
I am a changed woman, and if you're a chronic clutter who panics everytime they even think about having a clear-out, buy this book and realise that you owe it to yourself.
on 23 June 2006
I bought this book after reading other reviews. I also bought the book Conquering Chronic Disorganization by Judith Kolberg. Judith's book has some very practical tips for organizing things. But Karen Kingston's book actually GETS you to get up and start sorting out your life.

My room was cluttered with things. I didn't even realise the effect it was having on me. Neither could I make the distinction between 'clutter' and items which I thought made my space look 'homely'. Now I have the perfect balance. I actually felt lighter after cleaning out my space. It took more courage than I thought to get rid of things which were no longer useful - but that courage will hopefully translate into an ability to do that in my every day life. You realise that holiding onto the past is only hiding the emptiness you have in your life.

This is also a topic Karen addresses - as she talks about clearing emotional and physical clutter towards the end of the book. Getting rid of flaky friends. Taking care of your body.

It's a truly all-encompassing book, which was refreshingly insightful. I am hesitant to lend it to anyone since I have read it several times already!
on 3 January 2000
I found this book whilst looking for a book on Feng Shui and the title caught my attention. I bought the book and by the end of the day I found myself going through my wardrobe and clearing out piles of clothes that hadn't been worn for years and just clogged up the cupboard. It was great fun and I had a huge sense of relief like someone had given me permission to clear out my old stuff at last! I found the sorting out of old photos a lot harder to do - I suppose there were more emotions involved. However, I made a start and managed to get rid of a number of old photos and found Karen's comment about only keeping ones that had good memories particularly inspiring. After reading this I threw out photos of my ex-husband that only brought back all the bad times. I was so thrilled with the good feelings washing over me that I went the whole hog and burnt these photos together with all the old divorce papers I'd been storing for I don't know what reason! Afterwards I felt truly energised and very happy - a load had been lifted just like Karen says in the book. Since then I have bought at least 8 copies of the book and given them away as presents to family and friends. It's a wonderful little book that can be read easily and quickly and then dipped into later whenever you need it. As they say 'this book can change lives'! Highly recomended to everyone - as we all have clutter - it's just a matter of degree.
on 31 May 2003
I cannot even BEGIN to describe what an absolutely huge impact reading this book has had on my life.
First of all, it is brilliantly written. Everything is explained clearly and there is a little bit of humour here and there.
Karen Kingston starts by explaining why clutter has a negative effect on our life, both mentally and physically and gives plenty of examples from her own experience of working in this field of how this is very true.
There is a section explaining exactly what CONSTITUTES clutter and why we need to get rid of. The best chapter is the practical one where Karen urges us to roll up our sleeves and get on with it, and tells us how liberating it is to finally do it and get rid of the junk. How right she is.
This may seem quite a mundane practical guide to keeping your house tidy, but the book is highly spiritual and gives messages way beyond those of house-keeping.
But it and read it now, you will not regret it.
on 23 November 2001
A great book for those of us who need that extra bit of inspiration to sort our lives out. Karen Kingston doesn't promise to solve all your problems but she does give entirely sensible reasons and positive encouragement to clear your clutter.
Sort through all those old boxes and files and I promise you, you'll feel so much sharper and focused - never mind finally being able to locate everything without hours of hunting...I was inspired to sort through junk that I'd be carrying around with me for years.
Karen's ideas are simple and sensible and the book will help you understand basic feng shui principles without the need for crystals and waterfalls galore.
A top read.
on 14 June 2011
A great little book. Easy to read and very motivational. To be honest if you are looking for a book which gives a lot of detail about Feng Shui then this is not the book for you. There are much better books out there that will inform you about the subject in greater depth. BUT the removal of clutter is so important if you want good Feng Shui and if you suffer from "clutteritis" (as I did) this is so useful in helping you understand why you amass clutter, how to rid yourself and your home/ office of it and how to stop collecting it in the future. The author has a really good grip on the psychology of clutter and there were several points in the book where I recognised myself and others and roared with laughter!
On a personal note I have made a start on my own rubbish and can't describe how much better I feel! I really liked the author's tone - there were no judgmental attitudes and no you must do this now type commands. She gives the reader information,encouragement and suggestions and the rest is down to you. I'm not sure if I will go as far as the Sacred Space Ritual but for me the decluttering is worth the price of the book alone.
And as one reviewer said a lot of the book IS common sense but sometimes it's the obvious which alludes us and for me it was the explanation of WHY I have so much clutter which really made the difference and allowed me to dump the junk.
on 23 November 2007
I bought this book in 2007. It inspired me immediately and I bought several copies for friends and family. After visiting my cousin in Oct 2007 I sent her a copy too. She phoned me to thank me and said that she had only got to page 20 and was up, around and clearing.

Since that time I have also bought 'Sink Relfections' by Marla Cilly and by combining ideas from both of these I am making head way in my fight against My Clutter. I went off the boil a little while ago, but then picked up the books and off I was again.

Recently I was inspired to get rid of my old record collection, which I have been itending to copy to CD. However, the collection was over 200 strong and in my heart of hearts, I knew I would never get through all those, even if I did have a player to put them on. I sold some gave the rest to charity shops. It feels great. I realise now that there are many things in my life that are performing no useful function towards the life I intend for myself. My clutter has been preventing me from enjoying my life, so out it goes!

If at first you are not enamoured with this book, then please put it to one side and have a think about your clutter and how much time you spend on it, compared to how much time you really enjoy your life, then get the book out again and rethink.

Happy Clearing
on 20 August 2010
All I can say is, if you are not the most organised person on the planet, go out and buy this book!!
It is packed full of good, useful advice. The kind that makes total sense once you read it and you wonder why it never occurred to you before. If I can make one more person buy this book then writing this review was worth it, as I really think the space around you affects you and having a clean and organised space full of objects that bring you good energy when you think of them makes you so much happier!
This is one book I go back to again and again :)