Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 25 June 2004
This is a most intriguing book, it whilst telling the story of Dr. Weiss and his patient, Catherine, poses so many questions it is difficult to know where to start. There are no answers given in this narrative, the reader will have to seek them out for him or herself. That said if you have no knowledge about re-incarnation this book will whet your appetite to learn more. It is written in the most accessible language possible, I devoured it in two late night readings and was loth to put it down. It does have a most attractive hypothesis, after all who would not be attracted by the thought of a type of immortality, but that is only a minor part of the whole.
The book is essentially reinforcing the idea that the individual is responsible for the choices he/she has made in life, if the wrong choices are made and lessons are not learnt from them, then any future existence will have to revisit those issues until the appropriate lessons have been learnt. This is not new-age mumbo jumbo but a serious look at the nature of existence and personal responsibility, why we are here, lead the lives we do, make the choices we make.
I used the word intriguing at the beginning of this review quite deliberately. I have read this book once and am just about to re-read it and I will almost certainly get more out of it the second time around. I will equally certainly go to to read other books on the same/similar subjects.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2004
Weiss, Chief of Psychiatry at a large university-affiliated hospital in Miami, first met 27 year old Catherine in 1980 when seeking help for her anxiety, panic attacks and phobias. For 18 months he used conventional methods without success but then in a series of hypnotic trance states Catherine recalled past-life memories that proved to be the causative factors of her symptoms leading to her cure within a few months. She did not believe in reincarnation but acted as a conduit for secrets of life and death from highly evolved spirit entities, some of which were specifically for him. Weiss's life would never be the same again.
When the guide described artifacts at an Egyptian exhibit she found herself correcting him and at the next treatment Weiss regressed her, asking her to recall earlier ages; "Go back to the time from which your symptoms arise." "We live in a valley; there is no water; the year is 1863 B.C. The area is barren, hot and sandy. There is a well, no rivers. Water comes into the valley from the mountains. There are big waves knocking down trees. There's no place to run. It's cold; the water is cold. I have to save my baby, but I cannot; just have to hold her tight. I drown; the water chokes me." In later sessions he found that her experience of death in her many lives was similar each time. A conscious part of her would leave the body around the moment of death, floating above and then being drawn to a wonderful, energizing light. She would then wait for someone to come and help her. The soul automatically passed on. Weiss investigated references to reincarnation. "In A.D. 325 the Roman emperor Constantine the Great, along with his mother, Helena, had deleted references to reincarnation contained in the New Testament. The Second Council of Constantinople, meeting in A.D. 553, confirmed this action and declared the concept of reincarnation a heresy. Apparently, they thought this concept would weaken the growing power of the Church by giving humans too much time to seek their salvation. Yet the original references had been there; the early Church fathers had accepted the concept of reincarnation. The early Gnostics - Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Saint Jerome, and many others - believed they had lived before and would again."
Between sessions Catherine became more psychic, having intuitions about people and events that proved to be true. Her father, expressing doubt about what was happening, was amazed when she picked the winner of every race, although she gave the winnings to a poor person as she knew that her new spiritual powers should not be used for financial gain. She recalled periods between lives. "I am aware of a bright light. It's wonderful; you get energy from this light." She then spoke in a different voice. "Our task is to learn, to become God-like through knowledge. We know so little. You are here to be my teacher. I have so much to learn. By knowledge we approach God, and then we can rest. Then we can come back to teach and help others." "They tell me there are many gods, for God is in each of us." She later identified the masters, highly evolved souls not presently in body, as the source. They could speak to him through her. Although he had kept a strictly professional distance, telling nothing about his personal life, Catherine explained the deeper meaning - payment of karmic debts and teaching lessons - of the one-in-ten million heart defect that caused the death of his first born child when 23 days old. "Catherine could not possible know this information. There was no place even to look it up." "Who tells you these things?" "The Master Spirits tell me. They tell me that I have lived eighty-six times in physical state." He pondered the miraculous messages and the implications. " The light after death and the life after death; our choosing when we are born and when we will die; the sure and unerring guidance of the masters; lifetimes measured in lessons learned and tasks fulfilled, not in years; charity, hope, faith, and love; doing without expectation of return - this knowledge was for me. But for what purpose? What was I sent here to accomplish?" He realized that faults are not important - love is. He did not need to try to be perfect or in control all the time. There was no need to impress anyone.
Psychiatrists use high doses of tranquilizers and antidepressant medicines to treat people with Catherine's symptoms whereas under Weiss's hypnosis treatment she became radiant, serene, and happy beyond his wildest hopes. This book will be of interest to anyone open to the concept of reincarnation and the thought that each of us may have lived multiple lives. Could it be that we never die but pass through different phases? Could it be that time is not as we see time, but rather in lessons learned. Could it be that guardian angels want to help us, especially to overcome the fear of death? Could it be that acts of violence and injustice will have to be repaid in kind in other lifetimes? Could it be that greed, manipulation and self-centeredness retard the progress of the soul? Could it be that our body is just a vehicle while our souls and spirit last for ever?
on 16 March 2004
Since my teens, I've been of the opinion that you you live, you die, you rot. Why should there be anymore to life?
Reading this book has completely changed my views on re-incarnation and made me a lot more open minded on the subject. I must have bought this book about 5 times, the reason being - nobody gives me the book back, and they've all given nothing but positive feed back. It's a well written, easy to digest, motivating read. Without a doubt it's changed my life for the better. Let it change yours too.
on 24 May 2012
I came across this book in the library and having read it wondered what other people thought and was surprised at so many positive reviews. Initially it is quite startling but to my mind does not stand up to careful thought. The doubts start from early into the book (p27 in fact). On her first hypnosis session where she was regressed to beyond her present life, when asked what year it was she said 1863BC!!! Well now, how did she know it was 1863 years before Christ?! She would have said, if as a peasant she knew at all, that it was the nth year in the reign of Pharaoh Senusret III. Next, to prove to her father that all she was experiencing was true she took him to the racecourse and picked the winner of every race! This is absolutely phenominal and of great scientific interest in its own right, 10% score above chance is considered interesting and 20% very interesting and quite exciting, yet 'scientist' Dr Weiss pays 100% correct score scant attention as though it was nothing exceptional. There are many more such questions and doubts throughout the book. Why didn't Dr Weiss try and get 'Catherine' to be more specific to enable facts, places and dates to be checked? Nowhere is there any concrete fact or place to give these regressions to past lives credence, he has just uncritically accepted everything that Catherine or 'The Masters' told him. In fact had he done some research into similar regressions he would have discovered that mostly where such specific information is given it rarely ties in with known facts. One part of the book is true, it certainly changed Dr Weiss's life as we now find Dr Weiss the showman on cruise ships with mass regressions - "Roll up! Roll up! Discover what you were in your past life" and so on and seminars at £200+ where presumably people are treated to the same. Not only that he can now fast forward people to a future (progression?) many thousands of years hence - having forgotten that The Masters told him via Catherine that humanity hasn't got much of a future. Dr Moody's book "Life After Life" I did find extremely interesting and did lead me on to a voyage of discovery, not so with Dr Weiss.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2008
As I am neither a full believer in that which we can not see, nor am i a full blown skeptic, I felt i was facing this book with an open mind. It is very well written and if you are to believe in what it says, it is a beautiful thing to feel is both ahead of us and behind us!
Dr. Weiss fails in only one place for me - He does not clearly show how he came to so strongly believe this lady was not 'pulling the wool over his eyes'. Apart from the comment about his son, noothing else really makes me feel this could be a definite truth. He mentions that he checked up dates and etc. she was speaking of, but never elaborates on this which left me feeling slightly frustrated.
I must state here that I am being slightly over-negative towards the book here and am really nit-picking.
On a more open point, it really is thought provoking and is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. It paints a lovely picture of the possibilities which may face us in the afterlife.
on 17 October 2001
This book has got to be the best informative read that my eyes have ever looked upon.
So many authers have told tales and given advice in so many different ways but at the center of them all, they are saying the same thing!
Many lives Many Masters, allows you to read a gripping story and at the same time teaches basic rules of how to live a beautiful life with minimum effort.
It is a book that contains knowledge that you will want to share with every one you love and care for.
on 18 November 2014
Being someone who loves reading all kind of books on life after death, spirit world, dream interpretation, nature of reality kind of stuff, I thought this book would be pretty good considering the amount of 4 and 5 stars it gets. There's just something about this book that smells of being fake. Weiss regresses Catherine back to different places and she can explain ornaments and other trivial rubbish in great detail but when asked about easy things like the name of the town/village he/she is in the answer is always something along the lines of "I don't see that". Why Catherine doesn't use the word "here" instead of "there" when describing where she is is also puzzling. Weiss also asks too many leading questions, odd given that he is supposed to be a top psychiatrist. Questions should be open-ended rather than seemingly guiding his client to answering him in yes and no answers. Not a patch on the Journey of Souls books by Dr Michael Newton. Another thing about this book is the fear-inducing that it has about it. It all smells of religious indoctrination and that we all have karma to pay continuously throughout all our lives. My own understanding is that we are infinite love and all compassionate when in spirit. But if this book happens to help you personally then good for you, but it just didn't sit well with me at all. I will keep reading books by other authors on these subjects, though, as you can never read enough on these types of things. I'd recommend any books by Dr Michael Newton, Sanaya Roman, Barbara Marciniak, Ekharte Tolle and even the Conversations with God books by Neale Donald Walsch as healthier alternatives.
on 7 March 2012
I am a Catholic and always believed that there was an afterlife following on from our earthly existence. Whilst there has always been a reference to Heaven, Hell and Purgatory, my understanding of Purgatory was always confusing. This true story began to put this into perspective for me inasmuch that as we strive for purity to be with our Father in Heaven, to achieve that purity, one has got to right the wrongs of your previous life or lives. After death our soul goes to what I might regard as purgatory where we reflect on our life and have access to "our master" (one has to speculate whether the master is our Guardian Angel as I cannot imagine anything else to be honest) with whom we can reflect on our lives. We then have the opportunity to re-enter "the world" to right those wrongs. What is also of comfort is that our souls are entwined with our loved ones and that we will always be together though relationships might differ.
I'm not sure that the Church would subscribe to this theory but as the author himself stated (Jewish faith); it radically changed his views on life. IF this book is genuinely based on a TRUE event which I do believe it is, it helps us to understand our relationship with God i.e. our need to achieve a degree of perfection before we are accepted into his Kingdom.
My only disappointment is that if I have to come back, what will I come back to? The world has not changed for the better in my lifetime with the emergence of secularism and attempts to change the fundamental fabric of our lives.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Many Lives, Many Masters is easy and entertaining to read. In this book, Dr. Weiss, describes the past life explorations of a patient he referred to as Catherine. Catherine suffered from a wide-range of fears and after unsuccessful treatment using his standard psychiatric techniques, Dr. Weiss decided to experiment with hypnotherapy and ask Catherine to return to the time when the problems originated. The entire book goes back and forth over Catherine's various lifetimes - she apparently had 86 lifetimes, but only several seemed significant for helping Catherine deal with issues she was facing at a time when she visited Dr. Weiss.

At times in this book Dr. Weiss sounded as if he were trying to convince either himself or the readers of the validity of experiences presented in this book. From therapeutic standpoint though, while historical details of past life regressions may be debatable, past life regression is considered one of many useful tools in hypnotherapy for clearing inner obstacles and perplexing issues. And in this book, through this lengthy process of exploring Catherine's different experiences, not only did her current fears clear spontaneously, but some spiritual powers started to emerge.

Apart from Catherine's account of her experiences, in the interlude between her lives, other spiritual beings to whom Dr. Weiss refers to as "masters" would come true and offer tidbits of spiritual wisdom. Some of the wisdom came from Catherine's higher level of awareness, like:

"We all have abilities far beyond what we use. Some of us find this out sooner than others."

"You should check your vices. If you do not, you carry them over with you to another life. Only we can rid ourselves of the bad habits that we accumulate we we are in the physical state. ... And only when you decide that you are strong enough to master the external problems, then you no longer have them in your next life."

"Some of us possess greater powers than others, because they have been accrued from other times ... People are born with talents, abilities, and powers accrued fro other lifetimes."

"We choose when we will come into our physical state and when we will leave. We know when we have accomplished what we were sent down here to accomplish. We know when the time is up, and you will accept your death for you know that you can get nothing more out of this lifetime. When you have time, when you have had the time to rest, and re-energize your soul, you are allowed to choose your re-entry back into the physical state."

"People who are in comas ... are in a state of suspension. They are not ready yet to cross into the other plane ... until they have decided whether they want to cross or not. Only they can decide this. If they feel they have no more learning in physical state, then they are allowed to cross over. But if they have more learning, then they must come back, even if they do not want to. That is a rest period for them, a time when their mental powers can rest."

"Everybody's path is basically the same. We all must learn certain attitudes while we're in physical state. Some of us are quicker to accept them than others. Charity, hope, faith, love ... we must all know these things and know them well."

"You will be guided in time. When you accomplish what you have been sent here to accomplish, then your life will be ended. But not before then."

"You must eradicate fears from your minds. It is a waste of energy when fear is present. It stifles you from fulfilling what you were sent to fulfill."

"Learning in the spiritual state is much faster, far accelerated from that in the physical state. But we choose what we need to learn. If we need to come back to work through a relationship, we come back. If we are finished with that, we go on. In spiritual form you can always contact those that are in physical state if you choose to. But only if there is importance there ... if you have to tell them something that they must know."

"Coexistence and harmony ... Everything must be balanced. Nature is balanced. The beasts live in harmony. Humans have not learned to do that. They continue to destroy themselves. There is no harmony, no plan to what they do. It's so different in nature. Nature is balanced. Nature is energy and life ... and restoration. And humans just destroy . They destroy nature. They destroy other humans. They will eventually destroy themselves."

"We have debts that must be paid. If we have not paid out these debts, then we must take them into another life ... in order that they may be worked through. You progress by paying your debts. Some souls progress faster than others. "

"You can renew yourself through light ... through light. You must be very relaxed so you no longer are expending energy, but you are renewing yours."

And while this book explores lives of one person, the book like Mind Probe Hypnosis by Irene Hickman explores cases of many different people, and other books like Journey of Souls, explore life between lives, and is also very interesting to read.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2000
Since reading this book I have encouraged about 5 other people to read it all of whom have said it has had an impact on their lives. I only hope that more people who suffer from phobias etc can be helped by using these methods. It makes me wonder who I have been before, and more importantly the type of person I want to be again. I hope that I may live in my current physical state striving to become a better person, so that next time around I start with qualities I dont currently possess