on 20 July 2001
I examined a number of books to try and get into meditation as quickly and painlessly as possible and this book did it best. Most of the others follow some religious dogma in varying degrees which may interest some but not for me. This book was down to earth easy to follow and apply and it works. Try it!
0Comment|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 1999
I always bring this book wherever I go. This book make meditation easy and fun. The best meditation book I ever had, I always recommend this book to my friends who want to meditate. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on 15 February 2002
A really practical guide covering many different techniques and approaches, excellent even for a total beginner like me. Manages to de-mystify the whole thing.
on 4 July 2011
Excellent book. Well written down to earth approach. Starts with spot meditation and then progresses to longer exercises. Meditation, like any other skill has to be learned and this book guides you through the process and makes not getting it right first time OK.
I am not a new age in touch with my inner child sort of person, in fact pretty much the opposite. I dont believe in most of the politically correct, new age nonsense that is about these days, but this book is totally not about that. And boy did it open my eyes to what actual meditation is. It clearly explains what meditation is about and also explains what it can do for you and how to go about meditating.
As someone who has never meditated before and never had any intention of doing so I can thoroughly recommend this book for all those wishing to start. There is no bias or any religious or "philosophical" overtones, he simply explains how to meditate. A brilliant book if youre thinking about learning to meditate.
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2010
This book is packed with knowledge, which is portrayed to the reader in a clear and concise manner. You'll learn a variety of meditations and how to incorporate them into your every day. But most importantly this book gives you understanding of what meditation is and its ability to positively transform your mind.

The author, Eric Harrison, has a background in Buddhism, though he is not a Buddhist. He believes meditation is a practical skill with benefits that are obvious to anyone. That meditation is a natural faculty of the human mind, not the property of any culture or religion, and thus explains meditation in non-religious language in this book, which suites me well. However there is a brief section on how meditation can contribute to spiritual awakening, which suites me well also, but for those not on the spiritual path and are just looking for tranquillity instead, as Eric Harrison explains, the ground rules are the same for both. To succeed, both people need to be relaxed and aware in meditation and in daily life.
Meditation is a calm and alert state of mind. It is when the body is relaxed and the mind is focused. It is when thoughts drop aside, and we are at one with the sensations of the moment.

As explained in the book, the basic instructions for most meditations are the same:

1. Relax
2. Choose one object or activity to focus on and explore it
3. If the mind wanders, bring it back to the object of focus
4. Let everything else go

The main difference between the different meditations is the object which we choose to focus.

The most widely used meditations are:

1. Breadth and body awareness
2. Mantra and Affirmations
3. Visualisation
4. Sense objects (nature, music, candle, sound, etc.)

This book will walk you through all of the above.

I have found this book life changing. Your goals of why you wish to mediate might be different from mine, nonetheless this book will probably help you achieve those goals. You'll be learning a skill that will greatly improve the quality of your life, and that is a goal worth pursuing.

I wish you all to have awareness, to be awake while awake, to be alive to the moment.
on 9 June 2000
By far the clearest book on meditation I have ever read. It does not attempt to go too deeply into any philosophical or religious topics and is thankfully free from too much 'hocus pocus'.
Many different forms of meditation are covered without demonstrating obvious bias towards the author's preferences. The instructions are very clear, allowing the reader to get started and begin to experience each method at first hand. This is much more effective than lengthy description.
I suppose that very experienced practitioners of any meditation style would find the book superficial, but then I'm sure that they are not the target audience.
To my mind, the book's clarity and freshness are very representative of the actual experience of meditation. I strongly recommend it.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2009
I love this book. Unlike most meditation books, it concentrates on how to meditate, rather than the history of meditation. And, most importantly for me, it tells you how to build meditation into a normal day, i.e. when you're at work, stopped at traffic lights, doing the washing up, walking down the street etc. I used the exercises throughout the day to help stop winding myself up about a major operation.

It's probably not for you if you want an in depth meditation guide, but it's a fantastic book for meditation beginners, or for people that just want to learn how to relax.
on 30 March 2004
If you've never meditated before and wish to start then this is undoubtedly the book for you.
It's clear and straight forward in it's explaination of method. It pushes no religion or philosophy on to the reader.
An e-book version of this would be an excellent addition so that the reader could print out the single sheets of a meditation to aid them in learning them by heart.
My only advice for those about to purchase this book is that 20 exercises is NOT 20 full meditations.. some of those of spot meditations which hold smaller benefit and reward but are still very helpful. Especially the Freeze, Defrost one.
on 14 August 2011
I write reviews very rarely but I have made an exception. This is an extraordinary and must have book. IT made my life a lot easier and more prettier. Thank you. Highly recommend