5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and informative book on nutrition
This is a very comprehensive and addictive book on foods and their nutritional content. The amount of information was overwhelming and as the book is so thick, I doubt if I will ever read it all. And a superb price from Amazon to boot, costing a lot more at my local bookshop. Highly recommended!
Published on 1 April 2010 by M. V. Parmley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of healing foods
I bought this book to do a college assignment. I found it very good in providing a fairly thorough starting point. It provides a description as well as history and case studies of the food so more scientific than your average off the shelf book. I think a good reference for students in nutrition as well as for those general interest in healing foods.
Published on 9 Nov 2011 by Jt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and informative book on nutrition, 1 April 2010
M. V. Parmley (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 28 Sep 2012
Paul - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book is one of the best books on nutrition and improving diet that I have read. It's about 1000 pages and contains a plethora of information that I feel is well organised and categorised.

The book begins with an introduction to the human diet, what constitutes a good diet and safe eating. Filled with great easy to skim charts and diagrams to further boost your learning. This is about 50 or so pages containing information about safe water, waxes, pesticides, GM, Sweeteners, illnesses, vegan diets, popular diets, blood sugar, oils and much more. A great base to start learning more about the diet.

The next part deals mainly with the components of protein, fats, carbs with an abundance of information of what constitutes these components, foods high in each, how the body handles them and the chemical formulas too if you need that much detail.

Next they delve into vitamins and minerals and give great (sometimes fascinating) charts on what foods contain the most of each nutrient. An example that suprised me was that when thinking about iron intake, red meat is the typical high iron favoured food which contains 2.9mg per 85 grams but cooked clams of the same serving size contain 23.8mg of iron. I've had my old knowledge bashed about a bit but reformed with what I have learned from this book.

The book then covers over the major chunk of it's contents all the foods groups like nuts & seeds, veg etc. Not only does it categorise each food type, it gives some background info, history, nutritional highlights, health benefits, how to select and store, tips on preparing, quick serving ideas and safety advice on all foods. To me that is over and above what I could ever have wanted but I'm pleased to see I now have the resource to find out this information easily.

The last part is all about health and disease and things you can do to help yourself. The whole book is clearly written and as cliché as it sounds, if there is one book everyone needs to read to better their health it is this book. It's also free from bias or preference to push a certain diet on you such as Gillian McKeith who pushes the vegan diet hard.

Would highly recommend, I got it used on Amazon for 1p too. Life has never seen such a good bargain but is worth full price easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Encyclopaedia Of Healing Foods (Paperback)
If you are really interested in nutrition you will constantly dip into this book. Very informative but very thick and I will probably never read all of it. very good value

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of healing foods, 9 Nov 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I need, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Encyclopaedia Of Healing Foods (Paperback)
I have recently suffered minor hair loss throughout autumn which yes can be seasonal but this time it felt it was more than just seasonal. I felt that I neglected my diet in the last few month but then I am not even sure what food contains what and how to help my hair regrow and also up my iron and ferritin levels which are on the low normal side. I am hoping that this book will help me look out for iron rich food and overall improve my other vitamin intake. I do not want to rely solely on supplements because they aren't a substitute for good diet anyway and it always involves popping pills. The book is very thick so great for long winter nights coming in x. thank you for a speedy delivery you are much much cheaper than Waterstones!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book full of great information, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Encyclopaedia Of Healing Foods (Paperback)
excellent book full of great information that is very useful for learning about nutrition and how to heal with food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing foods, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Encyclopaedia Of Healing Foods (Paperback)
I think this book is one of the best written in the nutritional field. It tells me everything I need to make informed choices about the food I eat and how to put together balanced meals. It is packed with information. I definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good reference book, 13 Jan 2013
A. Lee (oldham) - See all my reviews
i'm studying nutrition and this book has been very valuable, its very accessable whilst providing top info, the only thing is there are no chapter or page info at the top of the page so if your flicking through you have no chance of finding what your looking for, its the index every time. excellent book though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A handful, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Encyclopaedia Of Healing Foods (Paperback)
I think this book suits most for people with some basic background data already on the subject, at least as far as the terminology is concerned. The book uses medical and chemical terms, which may bother the layman reader. However, there is something to grasp for all interested in health characteristics of food, but the book offers most to those, who do not get stuck with the vocabulary.

As a minor negative surprise I was a bit amazed to discover, that the health effects of pomegranates are not included in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Encyclopaedia Of Healing Foods (Paperback)
Absolutely brilliant book I refer to it all the time I would recommend it to anyonr

The Encyclopaedia Of Healing Foods
The Encyclopaedia Of Healing Foods by Lara U. Pizzorno (Paperback - 17 April 2008)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available