4.0 out of 5 stars Queen Betsy comic vampire story No. 9: marmite book alert!
I am not surprised that this ninth instalment in the comedy series which combines chick lit romantic comedy and vampire thriller has been getting mixed reviews. It's very much a "marmite" book which some readers will like and others hate.

Published on 7 Sept. 2010 by Marshall Lord

3.0 out of 5 stars Undead and Unfinished
I hadn't read any reviews of this before I picked up the latest installment to this series, the ending was therefore a shock.

Published on 18 Jan. 2011 by A. Christie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Queen Betsy comic vampire story No. 9: marmite book alert!, 7 Sept. 2010
Marshall Lord (Whitehaven, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

On the plus side, there's some new twists in the incongruous way the story mixes up "Sex in the City" with "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" which had me laughing out loud several times. On the minus side it's a bit all over the place, particularly with a rather bizarre form of time travel which dominates the book, and you have to work hard to follow what's going on in places.

And in particular, the shock ending in the three-page epilogue will have made most readers who like the characters of Betsy and Laura feel they've been kicked in the stomach.

Without wishing to "spoil" the story in this book or the next one, let's just say that Betsy and Laura travel to the future - one possible future, anyway - and meet versions of their possible future selves. It's immediately obvious that both this future and the people they might become are pretty horrible, and the shock ending in the epilogue shows just how horrible.

In the next book Betsy will return home to find herself in a slightly altered timeline. It is not clear which timeline leads to the horrible future: our heroine is willing to take extreme measures to stop that future coming true, but is she in danger of paradoxically creating it through her efforts? We'll probably find out several books down the line ...

Elizabeth Sinclair, nee Taylor, (who prefers to be called Betsy) is a fashionista and former model, who to her own astonishment has become Queen of the Vampires. She has some unusually difficult family and relationship problems

* A sister who is the antichrist, and is rebelling against her parent the devil by trying to be good (but has some lethal ideas about how to do so)

* A husband who is King of the vampires

* A baby half-brother, whose guardian she has been since her father and stepmother died, who may have some unusual characteristics of his own, and

* said stepmother occasionally comes back as a ghost to haunt Betsy, when she's not being the head receptionist to Satan in hell.

The plotlines of the first six books were more or less resolved in number six, "Undead and Uneasy." The seventh, "Undead and Unworthy," kicked off what Mary Janice Davidson calls a new "story arc." This book, "Undead and Unwelcome" is the third part of that new story. The full list of Queen Betsy stories to date is

1) "Undead and Unwed (Undead Series)"
2) "Undead and Unemployed (Undead Series)"
3) "Undead and Unappreciated (Undead Series)"
4) "Undead and Unreturnable (Undead Series)"
5) "Undead and Unpopular (Undead 5)"
6) "Undead and Uneasy"
7) "Undead and Unworthy (Undead 7)"
8) "Undead and Unwelcome (Undead 8)"
9) This book, "Undead and Unfinished"
10) "Undead and Undermined (Undead/Queen Betsy)"
11) "Undead and Unstable"
12) "Undead and Unsure"

There is also a "Queen Betsy" novella, set at about the same time as book six, in Davidson's collection "Dead Over Heels," one of the three paranormal romance stories in that volume, and another in the similar collection "Undead and Underwater."

Most of the "Queen Betsy" books are told in the first person by Betsy Sinclair/Taylor. However, one of the twists in this volume is that while most of it is narrated by a 21st century Betsy who was born a little over 30 years ago, dying and becoming queen of the vampires quite recently, a few sections of this one are narrated by a very different Betsy - I'd better not say more for fear of spoiling the story.

The first words of the series are "The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry."

Betsy is a former model and is still a fashion fanatic. At the start of the series, on the morning of her disastrous 30th birthday, she is working as a secretary. Her main interests are designer shoes, designer clothes, and her cat. In quick succession she gets fired, loses her cat, and is killed in a car accident. It is a great surprise to her when she rises again as a most unusual vampire. It is even more of a surprise when, through a sequence of bizarre events, she becomes queen of the vampires.

At the start of this ninth book, Betsy and her husband Sinclair have some serious rows: meanwhile Betsy and her sister Laura are invited to Hell by the devil. Betsy suspects that, of course, the devil is up to no good, but she has no idea how weird the events which follow will be ...

Mary Davidson has great fun by mixing up the vampire genre as in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or Laurel Hamilton's "Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter" series and Chick-Lit romantic comedy as in "Sex and the City." This series is way over the top, fairly sexy, and often very funny.

An interesting comparison with other authors who have written entertaining comedies by combining incongruous genres would be with Marianne Mancusi and Robert Frezza.

In the same way that this book gets plenty of laughs by combining chick lit with Vampires, Frezza wrote two very funny books which combined Vampires and Science Fiction ("Mclendon's Syndrome" and "The VMR Theory") and Mancusi combined chick lit with time travel in "A Connecticut Fashionista at King Arthur's Court" and "A Hoboken Hipster in Sherwood Forest." Anyone who likes this book is likely to enjoy all four of those, and vice versa, if you have read and enjoyed any of those books you will probably like this one.

OK, this is never going to win the Booker Prize or any other great award for classic literature, and it is fairly raunchy, so not suitable for children. However, if you have the right sort of sense of humour, it is good fun. If you enjoyed the rest of the series, you will probably like "Undead and Unfinished" but be warned about the sting in the tail!

3.0 out of 5 stars Undead and Unfinished, 18 Jan. 2011

I'm not sure whether the plot twist(s) introduced by MJD will either crush the series, or bring a new depth to it, but I can see why so many fans of the series were upset. This book firmly moves the series from slapstick fluff to dark comedy. Some aspects are made more disturbing simply because they are written by this author in this series.

The main premise is the sudden escalation of issues for Laura, and Betsy trying to help Laura deal with them a new job offer. With changes to Laura's talents emerging, what ensues is a bit of time travel. The time travel has all the major trappings we associate with it, namely how will Betsy's interferance change the future? And if it does should it?

Whilst I appreciated the glimpses into history (and the future) there were a few times when I was made to feel uncomfortable about certain characters and their potential development. I agree with other reviewers that that things just felt off and a bit sinister.

My main issue with this book is that the whole plot felt rushed and improvised, as if the author decided to tie up loose ends. Or just throw it in for crazy kicks. I actually want to go back to previous books and figure out if she had set this up all along.

I sincerely hope that in the next book Betsy will grow up and make some necessary changes to prevent certain things from happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undead and Unappreciated!!!, 15 Aug. 2010
Ms. L. Webb (UK) - See all my reviews
I've loved all of Mary Janice Davidson's books and was realy excited when I realised the next Betsy adventure was out! Then, I read the reviews on here...

I was *almost* tempted to skip ahead and read the epilogue as it has seemed to cause such a fuss on here, but as I read the whole book in less than a day I didn't really need to! I loved this story. As with the rest of the Undead series it is pretty much what you would expect - Betsy obsessed with shoes, spouting witty one-liners and bouncing off her Antichrist sister as only she can!

To anyone else who finds themselves bring offput by the too harsh reviews here, please please please read this for yourselves and decide. I personally loved the epilogue!! It was shocking, horrifying and makes we want the next installment all the more.

I can only congratulate MJD on giving the series a kick up the backside (not that one was really needed). The type of people who find themselves disgusted at the epilogue and are even going so far as to throw away copies of MJD's work need to get a grip - maybe they've been reading the Betsy series for so long they've forgotten that it's a bit of lighthearted fun and that the characters are a work of fiction, it's not a biography! Although I suppose you run the risk of getting people too involved when the series runs on into double figures, but I say good on you MJD, I can't wait for the next book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars keep coming my eye are read, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Undead And Unfinished: Number 9 in series (Undead/Queen Betsy) (Paperback)
Superficial and supernatural, hilarious chick lit novel. Betsy Taylor returns again in Davidson's book in the 'Undead' series. It's the same airhead, shoe obsessed queen of the vampires we met in the first novel.

Needless to say vampire politics of the same nasty kind interfere with her life, but our heroine wins through in the end, displaying unexpected strength and compassion. A light weight book, but very funny.

Still laugh-out-loud funny. I raced through this book cover to cover, loving Betsy's ditzy and self-obsessed attempt to adjust.

For those who are not aware of the series, here the list of Queen Betsy stories I read to date:

1) "Undead and Unwed (Undead Series)"
2) "Undead and Unemployed (Undead Series)"
3) "Undead and Unappreciated (Undead Series)"
4) "Undead and Unreturnable (Undead Series)"
5) "Undead and Unpopular (Undead 5)"
6) "Undead and Uneasy"
7) "Undead and Unworthy (Undead 7)"
8) "Undead and Unwelcome (Undead 8)"
9) "Undead and Unfinished"
10) "Undead and Undermined (Undead/Queen Betsy)"

In my opinion you will get most out of these books if you read them in order. I would start with "Undead and Unwed" and work on from there. Know there are more recent book but have not read them yet.

It is not a great literature and it does not pretend to be (I think that was clearly established from the first book) so I find the negative reviews a bit petulant to be honest, you can't start moaning about short chapters, bad writing and unlike-able characters after 9 books into a 10 book series.

If you want an easy read novel a decent story and have some laugh then go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Undead and Unfinished, 4 Jan. 2011
Amazon Customer "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Undead and Unfinished is the ninth instalment in the Queen Betsy series by MaryJanice Davidson. Hillarious, enlightening and confusing are some of the emotions I was feeling whilst reading this book.

Queen Betsy definitely takes us for a ride in this book. We are given more of an insight into the world of Betsy and Sinclair just when everything seems to be bleak between the two of them. I was seriously worried about our lead couple.

As we flit through the times with Betsy and her sister Laura, the spawn of Satan, we learn more about how Betsy came to be and why everything is the way it is. To say the constant time travelling was confusing would be redundant but hey I am going to say it anyway. I got totally confused but in a good way. It had me constantly guessing where Betsy and Laura was going to take me next and what shenangians they would get up to.

I got a bit mad at the ending because it made me feel that this was the end of the series (it might not be but because I can't find any proof to prove otherwise, I am thinking this is the last in the series). I really hope this is not the last book in the series as it left the series on quite a cliffhanger that has left me with more questions than I had to begin with.

The Queen Betsy series is the best series I have read so far this year. It has brought me many hours of laughter and endless entertainment. To say MaryJanice Davidson is the goddess of comedic writing would be an understatement. Hat off to this lady and she certainly knows how to write amazing fun-filled and amusing stoylines. Hopefully this is not the end.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book but everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars I love the Betsy series, but hate this book!, 21 Nov. 2010
pbfh (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I had been waiting for months to get this installment in the Betsy, Queen of the vampires series. I was very disappointed. The book starts out great, but then starts jumping around. Not a problem in its self as it just makes you pay more attention. The ending was terrible though, the final chapter made me hate Betsy. I actually wish I had not read the book as it has tainted the whole series for me.
If you have loved the previous books think long and hard as to whether you want to read undead and unfinished.

2.0 out of 5 stars welcome to th twilight zone, 12 Jun. 2011
Paul Jutras (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
You'd almost think this book was written by a different writer than Mary Janice as this book felt like anything but a Queen Betsy story. Queen Betsy and her daughter of the devil sister makes the mistake of making a deal with the devil. Traveling to Hell the story takes on a twilight zone style version of It's a Wonderful life as the two girl travel into the lives of Tina and other characters they know. Not to mention their own strange future when Betsy finds her future self an uncaring queen in a world populated by subjects not friends. At lot of the girls trips into time aren't very memorable. The best adventures were the ones where the girls went to meet their future selves and the one where their learned Tina's family history. Like the character Micheal J Fox played in back to the future when Queen Betsy returns to the present she finds that the lives of people in her life has complete changed from those she knew when she left.

Final note I was surprise when seeing the characters on the cover art at Betsy's sister looks as old as she is. Being from her dad second marriage I had always pictured her in my head younger than she shows up in the art.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't avoid, but be prepared for a rough ride!, 1 Mar. 2011
I did not read the reviews of the various MJD undead books before reading them and am glad I didn't. Although I am disappointed with this book, I am glad I read it.

I wholeheartedly agree with many of the other reviews. The whole tone of the book is different, it is as if it is written by a different author. MJD spends so long creating the Betsy world, only to knock it to it's knees. There may be another book after this (I hope so), but it would have to work wonders to rectify the bizarre twist in direction this book takes.

The style of writing is different. The whole plot seems rushed. It is as though the author has been told to wrap it up and is having to quickly draw a line under many intricate ideas.

As for the epilogue. It is disturbing. I am all for shaking things up and this could be an alternative ending to the story that could change (I REALLY HOPE SO). But if this is the end, I wish I hadn't started reading the series.

Definitely read it, but be prepared, you may put it down frustrated and puzzled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 9 Aug. 2010
Please do not choose to avoid this book after reading the miriad of unfavourable reveiws. Read it and then decide for yourself!

It is certainly true that this book is different. Whereas the other books were delightfully silly, frothy and substance free - perfect chick-lit really - this book with much weightier.
The time travelling feels a little interminable at times, but it serves its purpose well: it raises so many intriguing questions.

One assumes that many of these questions will be answered in the forthcoming UNDEAD AND UNDERMINED, however in the meantime one can only wonder, what exactly happened to cause the turn of events that Davidson describes, and how is our intrepid heroine going to blunder her way to a happy ending?

Funny, silly, an unaccountable increase in expletives, and some much darker moments than the previous books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfinished? I certainly hope so!, 24 Aug. 2010
Catherine Walsh (London UK) - See all my reviews
This book is the latest in a superb series, the main character of which is a curiously likeable ditzy vampire who just so happens to be the fated queen of the undead. Surrounded by a weird and wonderful collection of friends and foes, her adventures are addictive and you'll quickly find you are unable to put these books down. Davidson's prose is brilliantly funny at times, and incredibly poignant at others.

This latest offering is at first read a very confusing one - the story takes some very unexpected twists which at first may leave readers floundering. However, after reading the last page and mulling over events for a little while, you realise that Davidson's devices are actually quite logical, and you'll be eagerly awaiting her next book. I know I am.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Undead And Unfinished: Number 9 in series (Undead/Queen Betsy)
Undead And Unfinished: Number 9 in series (Undead/Queen Betsy) by MaryJanice Davidson (Paperback - 2 Jun. 2011)