Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 13 September 2010
Fish Out of Water is the third and final book in the Fred the Mermaid series by MaryJanice Davidson. This woman is a goddess when it comes to snippy retorts, moody mermaids and over eccentric metro sexual guys.

Fred has currently been the go between the bipeds and the Underwater Folk during their unveiling to the world. Everywhere she goes, Fred is recognised. So Fred decides to move from her little apartment to a four bed roomed cottage near the sea which just so happens, is being used as the public headquarters of the Underwater Folk. Everything comes to a head for Fred in this book; the mystery of her mermaid father is revealed, she finally chooses the man she wants to be with and ends her eight year sex drought and someone is trying to overthrow the King of the Underwater Folk. Never an easy life for Fred.

I was so sad to read that this was the final book as this is a great source of entertainment for me. When I want to read a book that is just light and full of comedy, this is the series I turn to. I can't stop laughing to myself when I am reading these books because Fred is such a funny and arrogant character. She has just the right mixture of stubborn, dry wit humour and hot headedness that makes me love her.

Overall, I really loved this book and really enjoyed watching Fred make her final decision between the two men in her life. My favourite part is at the end when one of her suitors claims her as his own just like that and no one bats an eyelid not even Fred because this is the man she wants. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a bit of supernatural mixed with a lot of comedy.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 September 2011
At the start of this book it looks like mermaid/human hybrid Fredrika (Fred) Bimm has finally made a choice between her two love interests; marine biologist Thomas and Undersea Folk prince Artur. Well it's easy to decide when one of her men starts dating someone else and she sort of ends up accepting the marriage proposal of the other.

But of course things never run smoothly for Fred. Her biological father is back on the scene, her best friend Jonas and her boss Barb are planning their wedding, Fred's about to be accidentally caught up in a merfolk coup and she seems to have landed some sort of diplomatic (the irony) liaison role now that the Undersea Folk have made themselves known to the land dwellers. She's also bought a new house with enough spare bedrooms to ensure everyone she knows is popping in to visit and not leaving.

Again there is a humorous light breezy feel throughout the story, even during the climatic finale. There is closure all around as Fred settles down with her (and mine) preferred suitor but I won't spill the beans if it's Thomas or Artur.
on 5 August 2011
Fish out of Water by Mary Janice Davidson.
*be aware adult themed content in this book*
In this the third installment in Fred's story, she has decided to date Artur, Prince of the Black sea. The existence of the mer-folk is no longer secret so someone is needed to keep them from floundering around on the media circuit spotlight. Fred has all the right skills for this job, however she has a difficult time ahead as her real mer-father turns up wanting to overthrow price Artur.
Again I really did enjoy this whole series of books, they had, comedy, humour, romance, suspense and much more. A real lighthearted type of read with a happy ending!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 January 2010
To put it bluntly, I was ready to give up on this series after the first book, which did not live up to my expectations, but because I got given the trilogy for Christmas, I persisted, thinking it could get better. The second book was appalling-it was thinner than any other book I'd ever read, had barely a plot and the so-called 'lead' character seems more of a secondary character. However, because the first book had shown some signs of promise- i.e. some humorous aspects and a vague hint of romance, I thought that the third book would pick this angle up again.

Not really, though it is better than the second in the series, which isn't exactly difficult. (Some spoilers ahead) In this book, Marine Biologist (and half-mermaid) Fred is predictably reunited with her estranged biological father, a merman who betrayed his kin and has been living in exile. Only now he's returned and is all nicey-nicey. The thing is that at the same time, some of the undersea folk have been vanishing under suspicious circumstances which is a cause for confusion. Fred, along with Mer-Prince Artur, Artur's father and biologist (and second love interest) Thomas Pearson, investigate. But will they like what they uncover?

This series had so much promise and the chance to be really fun, exciting chicklit- but Fred is merely irritating and you feel like you know the other characters more than her. The plot is poor and the romance shoved into the very last chapter of the book, which is all rushed. There's none of the exciting "will they/won't they?" drama which you'd hope for. Infact, you wonder why any of the desirable men would actually want to be with someone like Fred! The good thing is that it took me under 2 hours to finish the thing, and I immediately moved onto something more promising. Fans of MJD will probably enjoy it, but sadly I didn't, though I feel I deserve some kind of credit for perseverance! :)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love Ms Davidson's books, they always tell a good tale and make me laugh out loud. This book's no exception. Easy to read, VERY hard to put down.

If you liked Buffy, you'll probably like this author.
on 14 March 2009
very rushed and i didn't like the complete twist in love interest!! i know this is the last fred book which is dissapointing but i'm glad as it was abismal compared to the first 2!