5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read!
Published on 26 Aug. 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Up To Usual Quinn Standards
I have read a number of Julia Quinn's 'fun' style regency stories, and really enjoyed them. But unfortunately, this one left me very disappointed and even irritated at times, so much so that I couldn't finish it.
Published on 11 Nov. 2010 by Crux Roesia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read!, 26 Aug. 1998
By A Customer
"Everything and the Moon" is the first book written by Julia Quinn I've read. It will definitely NOT be the last. I absolutely adored this book. The main characters, Victoria & Robert, are intelligent and lively. Their conversations are sure to make you smile if not laugh out loud! Robert is one of the most likable "heroes" that I've come across in historical & romance. I found Victoria's concerns very easy to identify with and liked her immensely. This is one of the best I've read in a long long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 28 April 1998
By A Customer
With "Everything and the Moon" Julia Quinn has created another distinctive blend of imaginative narrative and expressive characters. Her specialty has always been dialogue- and this tale of star-crossed lovers does not disappoint- her characters spar wittily and often made me laugh out loud. Victoria Lydon is a likable heroine, who, disappointed after a youthful but passionate love affair, grows to be a strong and independent woman. When after seven years, her path again crosses that of her childhood love, Robert, Earl of Macclesfield, she resolves not to fall under his spell again. But love will not be denied- and no matter how much Robert and Victoria try to suppress it, they are drawn together. Theirs is a dance of heartbreak and deception, romance and seduction- you will laugh, you will sniffle, and you will thoroughly enjoy "Everything and the Moon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Up To Usual Quinn Standards, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Everything And The Moon: Number 1 in series (Lyndon Family Saga) (Paperback)
Not sure whether the author herself still wasn't quite convinced in love at first sight, or if the heroine was just far too modern to be credible in this type of story - even a 'tongue in cheek' style one, as Ms Quinn's stories are. But it just didn't work for me at all. I agree with another reviewer, who talks about the 'Big Misunderstanding' that this story hinges on, which isn't really enough to keep the conflict alive, in this case. So the story then degenerates into some kind of strange stalking case, with the heroine behaving like a sulky child, really, whilst the hero beseiges her and his noble relatives all turn out to be more modern women in regency costumes...
Sorry; I usually always enjoy these stories. But this was just not up to the writer's usual standards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the moon... maybe a sprinkling of moon dust, 6 May 2007
Book Gannet (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Whether you believe in love at first sight or not, there is something magical about the idea, something whimsical and inherently young about it. Robert Kemble, Earl of Macclesfield, wasn't a believer until he stumbled across Victoria Lyndon one summer's day, and lost his heart. In a swift courtship over a halcyon summer, the pair fall head over heels and make plans to elope. However, the intervention of both disapproving fathers leads to disappointment, disillusionment and heartbreak.

Seven years later, while attending a house party, Robert discovers the family governess lost in the maze. It's her! And he's so furious he doesn't know whether to kiss or kill her. For Victoria it's just another cruel twist to an extrememly bad day, and his refusal to leave her alone only makes things worse.

No matter what he feels for her, Robert knows he can't live without her, but when she refuses to be his mistress, he feels as lost and heartbroken as he had seven years earlier. A trip home soon sets him straight about outside interference, but when he seeks out Victoria to beg her forgiveness, he finds her gone. She could be anywhere, but he has to find her. He can't lose her again...

For Robert this is a tale about love and trust, of finding that one special person and moving heaven and earth to make sure he never lets her go. But for Victoria it's something different. When she first falls for Robert she is young, naive and easily influenced. She believes that love is everything, and that's all they need.

Seven years of hard, thankless work make her bitter, insecure and uncertain of her life. After the second time of Robert breaking her heart though, she finds an independent place, which finally allows her to feel secure and be herself. When Robert shows up again she doesn't want to give that up, not for him, nor everything he offers - not even the moon.

For all the love between these two it takes a lot of time for them to actually understand each other, and what they want from life. Their bitterness makes it difficult for them to trust, but in the end this is a lovestory, and it finally conquers all. (Including Robert's annoying controlfreak streak.)

Bittersweet at times, but mostly charming, it's a wistful tale showing the development of JQ towards the master of her genre that she is today.

(Oh, and Ellie, Victoria's enterprising younger sister, goes on to much greater things in 'Brighter than the Sun'.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't have a choice.. I had to finish it in one sitting!, 6 July 1999
By A Customer
I started reading this book this morning on my way to work (I am a LIRR commuter) and I could not put the book down. Thankfully since I was able to finish my work in record time I was able to finish Everything and the Moon before lunch! I couldn't stop, I tried to slow down my reading (I tend to read really fast, only leaving myself to re-read the book after I've finished to learn of the things I might of missed) I even tried closing the book and waiting until my trip home, but I just couldn't. I loved Robert and I loved Torie (not to mention that I happen to love that nickname for a woman) and I especially loved the mention of the Duke of Ashbourne, which only served to remind me of Splendid (another one of Ms. Quinn's treasures)! This book, along with all of her other books, are delightful! Filled with love and laughter, wit and charm. If you do not read anything for the rest of this century, read her books. SPLENDID, DANCING AT MIDNIGHT and MINX, then EVERYTHING AND THE MOON and BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN, and finally TO CATCH AN HEIRESS and HOW TO MARRY A MARQUIS! You won't be sorry!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too sweet, 11 Aug. 2009
M. K. Burton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Robert Kemble and Victoria Lyndon fell in love at first sight. Unfortunately, Robert is the earl of Macclesfield, heir to a dukedom, while Victoria is a vicar's daughter. They are both willing to toss convention aside and marry anyway, but their fathers will not have it. Each father prevents his child from eloping and both Robert and Victoria are convinced that they were not really loved. Seven years later, Robert is a confirmed rake and Victoria has had no choice but to become a governess to a series of rebellious children with indulgent mothers. They meet again and all their old wounds reopen; they have never gotten over each other. When Victoria seizes her independence, it's up to Robert to show her the value of love and companionship; he can't fail this time.

This was another "eh" read for me. I don't believe in love at first sight. I just don't see how you can love someone without knowing anything about them. Of course, as a teenager I had plenty of infatuations and I called them love, so to me, this is what happened with these two characters, only they never quite got over it. While I somewhat understood the fathers' motivations in keeping apart the couple, if frustrating, it annoyed me that both of them immediately fell for the deception. If anything, that backed me up on the fact that they didn't love one another yet, they simply had their heads in the clouds. The first 60 pages did not have me sold on this book.

After that, thankfully, it got better. Victoria and Robert are far more interesting once they've had a proper try at life. They have scars from both each other and from other experiences. It took them a frustratingly long time to realize what had happened to them, but what I really liked was that they didn't immediately fall into each other's arms because their fathers had lied to them and they were still oh-so-in-love. They still had to work through their problems and try to understand what they want to get out of their lives.

Probably the only reservation I had about the rest of the book was that it got sickeningly sweet at the end. Obviously, I like romance novels, but when the moon winks at one of the characters, it feels a little strange. They just felt a little ridiculous in their professions of love; I would have hoped that by the end, Victoria and Robert had learned enough about life to realize that one can't promise everything and the moon. I guess that's just me being picky and unromantic, though.

All in all, a lovely light read; some reservations, but I did enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the Moon with this read, 18 Mar. 2013
This is one that I borrowed from the Local Library some time ago.

So good that it was a it proved to be a record read time (even for me).

The story of Robert Kemble and Victoria Lyndon ... the son of an Earl and a Vicar's daughter.... can they marry .... well, actually YES after 7 years!

I highly recommended that you take the time to read this sparkling and humorous novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as all her others, 15 Oct. 2014
I have loved every one of Julia Quinn's books until this one. As she explains at the start of the book in this one she explores love at first sight and unfortunately for me it just did not work. Within a day of the main 2 characters meeting they were declaring their love for one another in every other sentence, it became a mushy badly written book with unbelievable characters doing things out of character for the time the book was written in I.e. would a 'lady' go walking with a man at midnight wearing just her nightgown with a coat on top when she had only met him 2 days previous? The book sadly was a great disappointment, it irritated me so much I didn't finish it which is unheard of for Julia Quinn. I bought the next book in the Lyndon series at the same time but haven't tried to read it yet - if it follows the same style then I wont bother with that one either. As a suggestion, download the first chapter and read that first before deciding whether to buy the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to her usual fabulous standard!, 25 Sept. 2012
With Julia Quinn being one of my favourite authors, it pains me to say that 'Everything and the Moon' does not have the same touch of magic as her others. Although the relationship between the protagonists is still sweet, large amounts of the book are dedicated to Victoria's temperamental manner, which led me to shout 'For goodness sake!' more times than I could remember. Additionally, the hero lacks the wit and charm of other Quinn characters (such as the Bridgerton Series' Colin and James in 'How to marry a marquis, both of whom are fantastic!). Although this could be put down to Robert's 'Tortured soul', it meant there was less comedy than in her other books, which was a slight disappointment. While I appreciate that characters must vary, I really wasn't feeling this one. Victoria was moody, and Robert was not very lovable. However, I have given this book 3 stars, because, well...it's Julia Quinn. And she is fantastic.

2.0 out of 5 stars innacurate romp, 13 July 2011
Well, I skimmed through this in the library.
I highly doubt that a vicar's daughter in 1809 would be called Victoria or casually blaspheme. Victoria was not popular as a name until Queen Victoria's reign. There was even debate that she should take a more English name when she became queen. "oh my God" only became acceptable very recently. Even "gosh" and "darn" would have been considered wicked.
Personally, I wasn't impressed by the hero. He seemed a bit too pushy and inconsiderate.
If you just want a romance with a dashing rake then I will admit there is something compelling about this novel. I read most of it in the library. If you like a light-hearted then read it; if you're intrigued by period detail then stick to Georgette Heyer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Everything And The Moon: Number 1 in series (Lyndon Family Saga)