5.0 out of 5 stars You would presume right .... it's a good read
See my Blog Post (#94) in March 2011 - book borrowed from local library.

There really should be a higher than a 5 ++ Star rating, as this book deserves it.

Published on 2 April 2013 by Toodles Book Club

3.0 out of 5 stars The other half of 'The Lost Duke of Wyndham'
Published on 1 Oct. 2008 by Helen Hancox

3.0 out of 5 stars The other half of 'The Lost Duke of Wyndham', 1 Oct. 2008
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mr Cavendish, I Presume: Number 2 in series (Two Dukes of Wyndham) (Paperback)
'The Lost Duke of Wyndham' was a disappointing read in some ways, with several scenes unexplained as they were to be the focus of this book. I looked forward to reading 'Mr Cavendish, I Presume' as I was rather interested in what would become of Thomas, the former Duke of Wyndham, and how he would end up with Amelia Willoughby. These questions were answered by this book but, sadly, there wasn't much else new or interesting in it. Many of the scenes are the same as in 'The Lost Duke of Wyndham', although from either Thomas's or Amelia's point of view (rather than Grace or Jack's), and the whole book felt rather repetitive. We experienced the same events a second time from a slightly different point of view with a few different insights into what was happening, but there wasn't much else to the book. Someone who hasn't read the previous book would be able to follow the events in this one easily enough as most scenes are explained so it doesn't seem to matter in which order they are read.

Thomas did come across as a rather more likeable character than the rather ineffectual chap of the previous book. Amelia was a good, strong character in this story, caged by her family's expectations of her and worried, at least initially, that she's marrying a man who barely even notices her. As the book moved forward and it appeared Thomas would no longer be the duke there were some interesting moments as he imagined his life without this enormous part of his identity but overall the story felt thin in places. Julia Quinn has a sparky, lively writing style which is good to read if often historically inaccurate. I was pleased with the way in which she portrayed Thomas's overarching sense of honour but the overall feeling from this book was that it contained too much repetition from the previous book and not enough new scenes to make it entirely worthwhile reading. I think the pair of books would have worked better merged into one overall story but it was a reasonable read for a rainy summer's afternoon.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars You would presume right .... it's a good read, 2 April 2013
See my Blog Post (#94) in March 2011 - book borrowed from local library.

The flip side of the story - from the point of view of Thomas, the Duke of Wyndham, before he was dispossessed of his title by Jack (see The Lost Duke of Wyndham). Complicated? Oh you bet ya little cotton socks it is ......... and perfectly written.

Thomas the Duke of Wyndham has been engaged to Amelia since they were both in their cradle, but has dragged his well polished Hessians, and never quite managed to make it to the alter. Along comes Jack the Highwayman, who dispossesses him of the title of Duke and marries Grace their grandmother's companion. What of Amelia? Read the book people ................. I love, love, love it ........... no doubt both of the books will be read, and re-read over and over again.

Run and buy it .... laugh and marvel out just what a comic genius Julia Quinn is.

2.0 out of 5 stars a bit disappointing, 12 Oct. 2008
M. Stone "mstone" (UK) - See all my reviews
I agree with the previous review, I'm a big fan of Julia Quinn and thought the idea of telling the same story from different perspectives a clever technique but felt a bit cheated by this book, whole chunks of the The Lost Duke of Wyndham were repeated almost verbatim and so I felt like this book wasn't offering much that was actually different. I read the Lost Duke first and this straight afterwards so maybe I would not have noticed so much if I'd read them with more time in between.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work..., 1 Jun. 2010
V. Woolley (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It wasn't my favourite read.

"Mr. Cavendish, I presume" is definitely not Julia Quinn's best work. Her attention seems divided between this and the sister book "The Lost Duke of Wyndham". Neither book seems to be as thorough or as concise as her previous works and left me feeling rather unimpressed, in fact, it seemed to lack a great deal of focus. Unfortunately the characters weren't engaging and the plot line was choppy and unfinished. I understand that she was attempting to have both books run parallel with one another in terms of their timeline but this was to their disadvantage as neither of these works (this story in particular) drew me in as I would have liked them to.

Unlike her previous works I didn't find myself daydreaming of replacing the heroism, nor did I find myself relating them in any particular way. Due to her determination to try and merge both tales together most characters felt rather 2-dimensional in my eyes which was a disappointment.

If I'm entirely honest she would have been better to write one book then provide a sequel focusing on the second brother wholely rather than flicking back and forth between the two tales. They may be interlinked but that doesn't mean there wasn't plenty of material to write something more substantial after the conclusion of "The Lost Duke of Wyndham".

That being said, the story might be predictable and may be choppy in parts but it still ticks the boxes for a summer read. While not a spectacular piece of work, nor one of her best, it will still bring a few smiles and the book will provide you with entertainment for a few hours of the day. I wouldn't recommend it as a MUST read but I wouldn't slate it too much either, if you have free time and money then it's not a bad idea to give it a quick sweep!

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely her weakest book, 27 May 2014
I have to agree with other reviewers on this one. I too found it repetitive and the repeating of the text meant we didn't really get to see the characters of Thomas and Amelia develop. As a consequence they remained two dimensional. It lacked the writer's usual wit as well. I said in my review of "The lost Duke of Wyndham" that I didn't like Thomas and to be honest I still didn't really like him at the end of this book. Perhaps because I didn't feel that I knew him any more than I did at the end of that last book. I liked Amelia a bit more, but just didn't find her that interesting, either. Maybe as somone else suggested these two books just have been one book, telling us the story of all four characters together. One final thought is that I didn't find the love story between these two very convincing or enjoyable. In all other JQ books I have read, there has always been a spark between the hero and heroine from the start, even if they weren't in love. These two barely acknowledged each other for years. Then suddenly Amelia fell in love with Thomas for no apparent reason and he went from ignoring her to suddenly wanting her desperately. Why? Just because he thought he wouldn't be able to marry her anymore if he wasn't the Duke? I didn't find it very romantic. If this is your first JQ book, please don't be put off though, there are definitely better ones out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 15 Jun. 2010
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
having met amelia and thomas in "the lost duke of wyndham is was nice to read their story but with much of the plotline borrowed from the previous book is was disappointing. it would have worked much better if we could have experienced more of what we did get in the lost duke of wyndham. most of julia quinn's work is much better so dont be put off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 5 Nov. 2008
Just read The Lost Duke of Wyndham and skip this book! Amelia is such a weak character, she is just plain NOT interesting. Like previous reviews, it is all repetition. It was like reading the The Lost Duke of Wyndham AGAIN. Don't buy it, waste of money.

4.0 out of 5 stars From the other side!, 28 May 2014
I enjoyed seeing the story from 'the other side'. I know that some reviewers felt it was boring hearing the same story again. But I had always wondered what was going on in Thomas's and Amelia's minds and hearts. Perhaps John - the lost Duke of Wyndham - was a bit more dashing - and I really enjoyed that book. But I thought it was an interesting idea that Julia Quinn had, and for me it worked out well.

3.0 out of 5 stars read better, 19 Oct. 2009
H. Wharton (UK) - See all my reviews
Not one of Julia Quinns best novels. The "heroine" of the story is not a particularly interesting or likeable character and the storyline a little weak. It was still a nice easy read but one i wouldn't go out of the way to read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 24 May 2013
really love Julia Quinns books, have got them all and have read them all twice or more, have since got my friends reading them too

Mr Cavendish, I Presume: Number 2 in series (Two Dukes of Wyndham)