on 5 April 2007
These editions of the faraway tree stories are extremely rough. Jill Newton's drawings actually detract from the atmosphere (strange because her illustrations in other books are lovely - I get the impression she was asked for a set of rough sketches then they went ahead to production without paying her for production-quality illustrations). Continuity errors abound. Fanny is called Frannie in most of the book and Fanny on the back cover, characters trip over their beards in the story who are illustrated beardless. Characters are specifically described as wearing particular dress then illustrated without. The cover art seems to be from two different artists too. Please spend a little more and find a version that allows you to get into the atmosphere unjarred by poor production values.
on 12 February 2003
If I have to choose one book as my all time childhood favourite it would be the faraway tree books and I couldnt choose one it has to be all of them, these books took me to faraway magical places as a child, Enid Blyton is the best childrens author of all time and now that I am pregnant with my first child I look forward to introducing the amazingly complex and richly descriptive magickal folk of the faraway tree to my children and my childrens children
on 1 October 2002
This has to be the best book going.... i have been searching for some time in shops trying to finad a copy and at last i have one... my old copy is absoulty ruined... i have been reading it since i was 7 and now im 18 and i still love it ... there is so much energy in it...i like reading about all of the different lands at the top...a different one each week...it would be great to have a tree like that ! i would recomend this book to anyone who has a little imagination - however old you are...!
on 20 May 2012
I loved these books as a girl and was really excited about reading them with my 5 year old. I had long given away my 1970s versions and bought these as a replacement (actually, I thought I was buying a different version altogether as the image on the book I thought I was buying was different to the one I received and am reviewing here). This is a poorly put together book with poor quality paper and TERRIBLE illustrations. The cover has one of the charming original illustrations but don't be fooled, the inside doesn't. Look elsewhere for a nicer copy. Also be aware that the reviews on Amazon don't necessarily match up to the version you are buying. Perhaps best to check in a book shop that the version you are ordering is the the version you want if being close to the originals matters to you. Such as a shame to ruin such lovely books.

____________________
Edited to add that confusingly this review has been attached to the version that I THOUGHT I was buying not the version I was sent. The version my review refers to is the version published by Dean in 2011 (Folk Faraway Tree Enid Blyton
on 19 July 2001
My granny has read this book to me at least three times. I love all the lands and I love the saucepan man because he always misunderstands things. I wish I had my own faraway tree. From Georgia aged 8, Italy
on 12 August 2005
There must be some kind of mistake with the three new books, The books are not 416 pages as indicated, but under 200. Still the stories are the same. But no extra illustrations as I had hoped.
on 26 August 2011
I bought this to read to my 5 year old grandson when he visits.We read a few chapters each time. He sits beside me when I read and is totally absorbed in the story - as am I! A really lovely book for grandma to read to her little ones.
on 15 November 2013
I have never read this but saw it and thought my 6 year old would enjoy it. Bought for under £5 on here so was pleasantly surprised to find a price of £14.99 on the back cover, absolute bargain. The book is beautiful inside and out and I can't wait for my son to unwrap this on Christmas day.
When we finished the Magic Faraway Tree, our five year-old was so sad that it had finished and he'd never hear about the children he'd started to get to know again - so I ordered this one, which follows on beautifully. He's happy again. Now I need to find something for when this one is finished, so he isn't too disappointed when we get to the end. Meanwhile have ordered more Enid Blyton - stories for five year-olds and a Brer Rabbit book. I am really impressed with the Enid Blyton stories, even in this day and age. I read a lot of them as a child but thought they would seem twee and outdated - they aren't - not only that but they are brilliant for a child to learn many different things, a lot of vocabulary and great for imagination - I think they fill a gap that modern story books miss out on. They have 'life' in them - real life - feelings, thoughts, difficulties, challenges - they are very human. We also have some Dr Seuss books. These and the Enid Blyton are the most popular with him - except for Postman Pat of course.
on 3 September 1999
I received these books as a gift from my grandmother.(My family is originally from England). I have read them so many times that they are falling apart. I now read them to my children.