5.0 out of 5 stars A work of beauty and truth
Published on 20 Jun 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars as a gift
quiet good for all ppl read. so i think dont need speak a lot. I just want the english virsion.
Published 12 months ago by RUI LIU

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of beauty and truth, 20 Jun 2003
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
I have bought 8 copies of The Little Prince since I first read it over a decade ago and I'm sure I'll buy more. Why? Because I just can't help but give it away to people, it is a wonderful gift that must be shared as it will enchant, touch and stir the reader. As someone has already stated, it is a book to fall in love to and with - romantic, touching, deeply sensitive and just completley beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Translation by Katherine Woods is superior by far to any other I have read, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
I am fluent in both English annd French. I bought Katherine Woods's translation for my son's fourth birthday, and to my astonishment, he asked me to read a chapter or two every night.

I have since purchased a "complete and unabridged" translation by Ros and Chloe Schwarz, and will promptly return it, for their over simplified language does not do the tale any justice - part of the charm of "The Little Prince" is following the little prince's chain of thought and discovery, the essence of which can all to easily be lost in simpler translations.

The Katherine Woods translation, published by Egmont, seems complete and unabridged, and also has colour pictures. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 3 Dec 1998
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
When I was seventeen, a French girl told me the story of The Little Prince as we lay under the stars on a pebble beach in Devon. I was in love with her and I remember the story as it came from her lips. I haven't seen her since then, but I have the book, and it is essential to my existence. The prince is a character that I aspire to. This book overflows with innocence and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 10 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
It won't take long to read The Little Prince, but it would take more than a lifetime in the world of the adults to make you forget it.
It is the very simple story of a little prince who comes to earth and meets a pilot who is stranded in the desert.
Each of them has some problems on their mind. The aviator wants to fix his plane and escape the desert before he dies of thirst, and the Little Prince... well you'll just have to read it. I couldn't describe it without sounding trite.
The clear and innocent view the little prince has on the world will give you a fresh and new perspective on your life and perhaps make you question what is really important. Perhaps it won't, but at only 91 pages it won't take you to figure out how silly it is of me to tell you the precise number of pages in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Thoughts for Young and Old, 3 Dec 2001
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
When I first read the book (or rather made to read that book at school) I was not too sure what I should think of a book that was labeled as "enjoyable for both young and old". This label carries the taste of boredom mixed with slight fun but "The Little Prince" is different. No matter what your age you will find your individual link to the book. This link might change or it might stay the same. Children will enjoy the gentle story and adults most likely will see the deeper meaning. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best book I have read, 9 Feb 2006
Tao (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
One of the best books of this century. It is classified as "Childern's fiction" but will appeal to every person who has a sensitive heart..!!
Worth reading at least 10 times..!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply unforgettable..., 18 April 2003
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
This is the most moving and haunting book I've ever encountered. It tells the story of a lonely man forced to crash his plane in the desert whereupon he meets the little prince who has come from another world. It really is impossible to come close to describing the beauty of this book; I would particually reccomend it to someone who has lost a soul-mate:
"If you love a flower that lives on a star, it is sweet
to look at the sky at night. All the stars are a-bloom
with flowers..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves..., 17 Feb 2010
L. R. Richardson (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
I read this book a couple of years ago in French, and I decided to read it again in English and see how much of it I actually understood. It turns out I understood it quite well.

This is a wonderful children's book that basically everyone loves. I have never come across someone who didn't love The Little Prince. It's an odd tale to be sure, of a pilot trapped in the Sahara. He has a limited supply of water and is not sure he'll be able to fix his broken plane. Even though he's an adult, in many ways he is still a child at heart. A little prince comes upon him in a desert, and the pilot bonds with him immediately. The prince tells the pilot of the small planet he is from, the flower on it he fell in love with, and his adventures as he visited other planets on his way to Earth, and what happened to him after he landed. You see the child's perspective on various things--greedy men, power-hungry men, drunken men, and animals. The little prince is confused by many of the grownups's antics--like the geographer who will never explore new places or the drunken man who drinks because he is unhappy and is unhappy because he drinks. Through these sad men on their own little planets, we see how silly grownups are and how children see things so clearly.

It's heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time, and shows how, no matter how old you get, you should never lose that child-like wonder and awe at the universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, accurate, and at times heart-rending....A Masterpiece!!!, 8 April 2007
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
When we think of books we read as children, they often bring a smile to our face because we remember how enjoyable and possibly enchanting simple stories were to us at that age, and how different things are now. Although I know I had enjoyed these books, I also know that reading them again would not be as magical as it was back in those days.

The Little Prince is not one of those books.

The smile that's brought to my face when I think of this book isn't one of nostalgia. It's a different smile - a child's smile, almost. How great it is to be excited about reading a book (for the umpteenth time), knowing it will evoke the same emotions as it did the first time round (and perhaps even more)!!!!

To say that this book suits all ages is an understatement. Harry Potter books suit all ages. This book grows WITH you. Each time I've read it, and whatever period of life I was in, The Little Prince had something new and relevant to tell me. How many books have this attribute? Not many, as far as I'm aware.

The Little Prince is a book that will never be phased out. It's a book everyone should own, and keep reading....because not only is it not a children's book...it is a life reference book in its simplicity.

5.0 out of 5 stars More special than just a book., 5 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Little Prince (Paperback)
There's always a "favourite" book and The Little Prince is my favourite book and my most treasured possession. The story itself is wonderful but it is extra special to me because it was given to me by someone who I knew very briefly and I only read it after they had gone. As that person said to me, everyone should live by this book. If there is ever a book that you SHOULD read then it is this. Read it to someone special because that meant so much to me.

The Little Prince
The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery (Paperback - 29 Oct 2001)