TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 December 2012
Even with the advent of satnav, you still need a good, old fashioned paper map in the car for overall route planning and to identify sites of interest to visit along the way. This map does the job particularly well. We bought it prior to going on a two week trip, wandering around France, and part way through that holiday I can confirm that it does the job superbly. The three mile to one inch pages, which form most of this book, are sufficiently detailed that it is easy to find your way around, even off the main roads, where things can get rather complicated especially in France.

I really have only two criticisms. The first is that the first 15 or so pages, which are much smaller scale and cover the whole of France, do not have a white, unprinted section in the middle of the page where the spiral binding goes through. The result is that on occasion the binding distorts the map which has caused us problems. This is not the case with the rest of the book, where there is an unprinted border where the spiral binding goes through so I am not sure why this was not done with the summary pages. The other minor issue we have had is that the top and bottom of the binding do not prevent pages beginning to come off the spiral and in a small way that is beginning to happen with our book. I imagine with a lot of use this could become a real problem.

However, despite these minor shortcomings, I think this is an excellent book and certainly the best road map of France we have had - and over the years we have gone through quite a few.
on 24 December 2012
Big graphics and very easy to read and use, just the job for in the car or for pre-planning at home.
on 18 January 2013
Purchased the non spiral book. Although we have sat nav we needed a road atlas for route planning, and found this brilliant. Although was really surprised how thick and heavy it was, so may be hard to find somewhere to store it in the car. Detail is clear. Would definitely recommend it
on 1 March 2014
Used this on a recent holiday to France. We had satnav too, but this was great for a) checking that satnav was behaving and b) planning out the next day's journey. Great size - no need to squint! :)
on 28 December 2013
Just what I wanted, good scale and from my recent trip to France up to date and shows many new road developments
on 20 February 2013
Good atlas but wrongly described as A4 -it is not it is a massive A3 one. OK if you have a big car!
on 27 May 2014
I don't write many reviews, but was so disappointed with this product I felt compelled to write this ... I chose the AA Big Easy Read France map because I wanted: a) something easy to read b) to be able to fold the pages over - flat and c) because I stupidly believed the 5 star rave reviews it had been given.

Needless to say after it's very first use the pages (which are made of such poor quality), started to come away from the spiral binding. So, by the end of 2 weeks in France it looked like it'd been used to wrap fish and chips in. However the singularly most annoying thing about this map was the white bind margin! Unfortunately, if, like me, your location/destination happened to fall in said margin you were well and truly screwed as there's no overlap on the corresponding pages ... Unfortunately, as it turned out all my destinations had the strange habit of losing themselves in this never-never land and well, what can I say other than the only redeeming factor of this product is it's fire-starting properties ... of particular use when arriving late at your gite (due to being lost in never-never land) and needing to light a log burning stove....
on 12 April 2013
An updated version of my 2011 edition. However I didn't realise it was so big. Although it was stated that it was the 'easy read' version I did check in the detailed description text to clarify the size. It stated it was A4 so I ordered. After it arrived and I saw the size of it I checked again and the text still stated A4. I checked the text for another map (same series) and that also stated A4. It is clear to me that the text for the 'easy read' version has not been updated as it should have been. Sloppy work by somebody!
on 8 June 2013
Purchased this item to replace the 2011 paperback version, together with the 2013 Easy Read France. Item was damaged at the bottom left-hand corner near to the spiral binding, so returned it forthwith. Even though this item was damaged I was distinctly unimpressed with the physical quality, as the spiral was wholly plastic (PTFE? ABS?) and did not make for ease of turning pages. The quality of the paper was less than desirable in that it appeared thin and flimsy; I would expect that after a little use the pages would be prone to coming adrift from the spiral binding. Also, I noticed a tendency for the atlas to bend laterally (even when closed) which added to my unease about the general quality. I would be more than happy to pay extra for a spiral-bound big-easy-read atlas if the spiral was powder-coated wire and the paper stock thicker. I have since ordered the 2013 paperback version of the Big Road Atlas as an alternative; I hope the stapling and paper stock of the replacement atlas are of better quality.
on 24 February 2014
My earlier version was getting a little dog eared so I bought the latest version to make sure all the new roads were in there. It's big but the scale makes it very easy to use especially for anyone who finds it difficult to figure out just where abouts you are on the map