on 14 October 2013
As a kindred, map addicted spirit, I love Mike Parker's analogy that roads are to countries what arteries are to the human body: "they channel the lifeblood of a nation, moving people and goods around, shaping the development of our towns and cities and providing the framework on which all else is hung." Accompanied by an excellent selection of illustrations (including loads of brilliantly reproduced maps that you can get lost in for hours), Mapping the Roads charts the development of Britain's road systems and examines how the variety, availability and desirability (or otherwise) of road-based means of transport has influenced the growth of the nation. There's a lot of historical, political and geographical detail involved in the book but Parker writes with mix of offbeat, humorous observation and hard fact that makes it a pleasure to read. The history of the development of the road system really does reflect and echo the changing face of Britain over the centuries and as such is a truly interesting and informative subject. As Parker notes in his introduction, Mapping the Roads is a story "full of intrigue and invention, ambition and hope" and is an excellent way to while away the hours when the weather is too bad to actually be out, map in hand, trekking through the countryside.
on 9 November 2013
Mike Parker is your man when it comes to maps. This is a very nice sample of road mapping, spun round an account of the development of the road system in this country. The samples of published maps from all eras are excellently reproduced and his comments are pithy and well-considered. I enjoyed this and recommend it.
on 28 January 2014
I had a quick look at this publication in a bookshop last autumn and realised it was just what I wanted - an even balance between explanation and illustration. Having made the purchase I was not disappointed, the writing style is informative without being 'heavy', and the reproduction of the maps - many full-page - deserve detailed examination.
on 13 January 2014
a useful and readable (and well illlustrated) history of mapping in the UK. Map cover pictures show how the focus has moved over the years from cyclists and walkers to car drivers...
on 5 July 2014
Great book full of useful information and properly sourced too. An insight into the ways our country has been changed socially, economically and architecturally by the influence of automotive transports and roads necessary to cope with it all.
on 14 May 2014
I got this for my boyfriend who is a map addict. He loves it and it is an excellent coffee table book. Not sure I'd spend RRP on it but for the Amazon price it's a good shout. Interesting facts for him to tell me about, and is picked up by visitors often enough to be well read.
on 12 November 2015
I had heard that the first road in Britain to be treated with 'Tarmac' was a road in my native Nottingham. Now I have seen it in print in 'Mapping The Roads'. Radcliffe Road, the A52 in West Bridgford, Nottingham was the first.It was quite by accident!
on 31 December 2015
My wife bought me this for my birthday and I was hooked instantly. It very easy to read and full of fascinating facts and anecdotes for the casual reader. The section on the construction of Britain's motorway network is particularly interesting.
on 16 January 2014
This book was a gif which is being much enjoyed by the recipeint .It is ideal for anyone with an interest in travel over the ages.
on 19 October 2015
The development of our road network has mirrored the growth of our way of life and the economy of the country. Mike Parker puts it all in perspective. Readable as well as dip-in-able!