5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious book!
Published 5 months ago by sheila ableman

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Very disappointed, it falls between two Stools, nothing new in Baking, I expected so much, was very let down.
Published 1 month ago by Christine Claydon

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious book!, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake (Hardcover)
This is a terrific book, written with wit and warmth. Caroline Taggart writes about food evocatively - don't read this book on an empty tummy! -but is also very good on creating a sense of place and gives us fascinating nuggets of information about the many places she visits in the course of her quest for special, local cakes. It is a hugely enjoyable read, part recipe book, part travelogue and I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars For cake lovers and all those with a sweet tooth, 22 May 2014
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Most of us will have eaten Chelsea Buns, Eccles Cakes and Bakewell Tarts. They are ubiquitous, and can be purchased in baker's shops and supermarkets throughout Britain. Once upon a time though they would all have been regional specialities that would only have been found local to the places mentioned in their name. Whilst these have all become freely available there are still some cakes produced around the country that you not likely to find anywhere else. Goodies like Coventry Godcakes, Puggy Buns, Tottenham Cakes and Ecclefechan Tart will be an unknown quantity to all but the residents of the areas in which they are made. Many such regional cakes exist and whilst they once appeared to have been in danger of being forgotten they now seem to be undergoing a renaissance due to an increase in the popularity of craft bakeries. In this excellent book Caroline Taggart travels around Britain tracking down and these cakes, explaining their history and sampling them on behalf of the reader. For the home baker she even includes recipes which will help them produce cakes similar to the ones that she describes in the book.

Don't let the inclusion of recipes fool you into thinking that this is a book for bakers only though. I don't bake and I have no real intention of ever baking but I never at any time thought that this wasn't a book for me. The book does not provide a complete review of regional cakes - I can think of a couple that aren't mentioned - nor does it limit itself to the produce of small bakeries, as the featured manufacturer of Eccles Cakes is a sizeable concern, but overall Caroline Taggart provides us with a fine overview of cakes that the British love to accompany their tea and coffee. It is possible to bemoan the fact that Northern Ireland is not included, this is a look at British cakes after all, but that is perhaps the only criticism I could make.

If you have a sweet tooth you will almost certainly enjoy this book. I did, and I cannot think of many books that have caused me to wish that I was undertaking the author's journey as much as this book did. It even provides the answer to one of lifes great mysteries - the difference between Bakewell Tart and Bakewell Pudding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 7 May 2014
This review is from: A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake (Hardcover)
I was given a copy of this book when I was ill recently, so I sat undisturbed to enjoy it. It is a chatty book, and I enjoyed Ci's flow of thoughts, punctuated by ironic and amusing asides.
I knew it was being written, as I had checked a couple of recipes prior to publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars And recipes too!, 6 May 2014
Interesting, instructive and funny all at the same time - what a winner! I bought the book (hard copy) because I enjoy a travel read, like the idea of a theme and loved the cover (hence not an e-book this time). The travelling detail is full of interesting snippets of information and laugh-out-loud funny at times. I've done four of the recipes so far, all delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy, 5 May 2014
This review is from: A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake (Hardcover)
Caroline Taggart’s A Slice of Britain is a delightful travelogue around Britain. The author has been guided throughout by her own love of making, baking and eating all things sweet as well as by a personal fascination with the traditions that have endured across our regions for many centuries. The many recipes reflect the author’s keen eye for detail as well as her sharply observed take on local character and history.

Entertainingly researched, this very readable book will inspire every traveler or even the armchair reader to bake or to munch through our tasty heritage in all its variety. A must buy for every caravan, car, bedroom and kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A celebration of cakes- and more!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake (Hardcover)
I got this as I had enjoyed the author's previous books, and liked it so much that I bought 3 more as gifts.
It's a travelogue plus recipes - and a delightful meander through the history of cakes, and the British towns and villages which so many of our tea time treats named after. Very enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars You are what you eat - or what you bake, 25 April 2014
This review is from: A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake (Hardcover)
Writing a travel / recipe book has the potential to turn out superbly or badly; there's no way it could be just okay. In Caroline Taggart's hands it is a delight - fruity, spicy, seasoned and well presented. What she learns she shares lightly and the people and history behind the recipes are fascinating. This is a cut and come again book - you read it once from cover to cover and then return to try the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tasty travelogue with lots of humour, 24 April 2014
This review is from: A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake (Hardcover)
I bought this for a friend's birthday but couldn't resist reading it myself first. The only other British travelogue I have read is Bill Bryson's 'Tales from a Small island' - I have to say that I enjoyed this book even more - if you have a sweet tooth/ love tea and cake then you'll devour this with relish.
I was fascinated by the history and folklore around our national favourite cakes and biscuits as well as discovering lots I had never heard of - Aberfraw biscuits for example. What I enjoyed most were all the characters that Caroline met on her travels and the descriptions of the places she visited - the whole pace of travelling by bus and train made the story fascinating and the journey is brought alive with lots of funny anecdotes.
Although not a traditional cookery book there are lots of recipes . I tried the Cornish Fairings which were easy to make with clear instructions. They didn't last long so I'll be adding the recipe to my repertoire.
I really enjoyed the book and plan to buy a couple more copies for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tour of Britain told through its cakes!, 24 April 2014
This review is from: A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake (Hardcover)
This book is not so much about cakes - but a tour of Britain! The story around each cake tells so much about the traditions and history of each area. But there are some lovely sounding recipes too!

I would recommend this book for the armchair (or actual) traveller – interested in the story of Britain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 July 2014
This review is from: A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake (Hardcover)
thoroughly enjoyed by my mother who I gave it to as a present

A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake
A Slice of Britain: Around the country by cake by Caroline Taggart (Hardcover - 3 Mar 2014)