5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different
Published on 12 Mar. 2013 by Chris

2.0 out of 5 stars had high hopes....
Read 3 chapters and learnt anything special so finding it hard to carry on reading.
Published 6 days ago by cricket fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Make Your Brain Work: How to Maximize Your Efficiency, Productivity and Effectiveness: (Paperback)
This book essentially explores how we can use our brains to greater effect and advantage. It was recommended to me by a former colleague and I can now understand why. I've taken a huge amount of learning from it already and it has certainly helped me to re-think several aspects of my professional life. It is incredibly well structured and written. This is really important because in the wrong hands I suspect it could be a dry and turgid labour - it certainly isn't!

Much of the narrative uses three fictitious characters to describe the neuroscience in a form we can all understand. This works incredibly well because the author has chosen personalities and scenarios that we can all relate to. Consequently it becomes more real and transferable.

I can truly recommend this book to pretty much anyone. It is a superb read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tap into your brain's potential - Made Easy!, 4 Feb. 2013
As a trainer and coach; I have read a number of books on coaching and development. This is going to be one of my favourites to commend to clients. It is so easy to use. The scenarios are believable and easy to relate to.
At first I wondered if the subject matter would be too academic, too scientific for the layman; but no; the author has made it all easy to understand and apply.
The scientific research adds distinction to the book and the subject has clearly been studied in depth.
The book's layout makes it easy to read in small parts. You can take away a piece of learning, absorb it and apply it then return for the next instalment.
How often do we hear that we only use a small part of our brain; this book will help us all to use this vital part of us all a little more effectively.
I recommend this to anyone seriously interested in developing their potential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly useful and insightful, 2 Feb. 2013
A really fantastic book, sets out some helpful hints and tips in bite size chunks enabling you to apply established scientific research in an easy way to improve the way you are operating at work and at home. It makes so much more sense when you can understand why both you and other people are acting in a certain way!! The helpful examples and case studies have shown me how to apply what I have learnt in this book and I know I will keep returning to it as a useful tool for many years to come. Fab book!

5.0 out of 5 stars mind blowing, 3 Jan. 2013
Sounds heavy reading-no it's absolutely not. It is a book that can be read anywhere and by anyone interested in improving themselves. You don't have to be an academic. It has situations you can relate to and brilliant research to back up strategies to use. The lay out of the book means you can read small chunks go away, digest, try out the strategies , then pick up where you left off. I adore the presentation - it has quirky pictures too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and practical!, 19 Feb. 2013
Inspiring, enlightening and most of all full of immediate practical application! As an NLP coach and trainer I am very grateful to Amy for bringing all these disciplines together in a very succinct and practical manner. (My fellow tube travellers also thank her for the entertainment provided by my involuntary squeaks of delight whilst reading via my iphone on a recent journey!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and practical, 29 July 2013
What I like about this book is that gives a physiological perspective on behaviour that backs up some ideas that I have read in books on psychology and questions others.

Amy has written a book that, instead of being dry and unintelligible to the non-expert, is interesting, understandable and provides advice on making use of the knowledge that it uncovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A user guide to your Brain, 20 Jun. 2013
Amy Brann takes the latest research into Brain function, simplifies it and makes it pragmatic.

This is neither Neuroscience or Neurobollocks it is simple practical applications from what we know NOW.
Her interviews with Top Scientists, and her simple explications do give the 'Dummy' an insight into Neuroscience,
without the need for 5 years of specialist study.

She carefully presents the information and its APPLICATION to your life, and that's why I recommend this book.

Hopefully, in a revised and updated version she will drop references to the distinctly non-scientific "Memes", a speculation of Richard Dawkins, it does not belong in an evidence based book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to absorb, 25 Mar. 2013
I learned a lot from this book, not complicated or to simple. I have taken away several strategies and coping mechanisms for different stresses, pressures and scenarios for not only myself but at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for it., 31 Mar. 2013
Must read, great inside and practical advice on how to use your brain in most fluent and flowing manner put in simple and practical way..............LJK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book that helps you understand what Neuroscience has to offer, 2 Feb. 2014
A great book that's easy to read that you can dip into. Chapters that are structured in a way to make them memorable and digestible