Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 October 2012
This is a book that I have heard about for over 12 months, and have been chomping at the bit to get hold of. I'll be honest, I know and rate the author of this book very well, and I was privileged to be able to read an early advance copy.

This book didn't just meet my expectations, it totally surpassed them.

Let's first deal with the content of the book. It's the only current book on selling, in my opinion, which has realised that buyers have changed in how they are prepared to be sold to. They don't want to be sold to, they want to choose who they give their custom too. Consequently the two disciplines of marketing and selling are merging into one. This book shows you, even with scripts, how to bridge the gap between traditional marketing and selling in this social media powered world.

The book is exceptionally well written and structured and is an easy read - in fact I read it from cover to cover in one sitting.

In my line of work I meet so many people who feel uncomfortable about seeing themselves as a sales person - that's not what they signed up to do. However, more often than not, we find ourselves having to sell to clients, customers or perhaps even internally within our business. This book gives you both the context, the process and even the words to be able to 'sell' naturally without it feeling as if you are needing to sell at all.

If you read only one book on selling, then let it be this one.
on 16 April 2013
Finally! This book is an absolute must for anyone in business who is in a role that involves selling, without necessarily being in Sales. Times have changed and we're in a new era where trust, reputation and integrity are at the heart of long-term relationship 'selling'. As a business owner I know I need to 'sell' but have never had any sales training. This book provides a clear and structured 'how to' that covers the entire cycle of establishing credibility in marketing and social media through to making presentations and account management - in a way that's honest. The layout is brilliant - clear case studies, templates and graphics support the text and it's packed full of useful tips. If you're in Sales - and that's pretty much anyone in business - this book is a must.
on 18 October 2012
This book is so right. And so right now! Selling needn't be about pushing your customers away - it's about drawing them to you. I so agree.
This book should be read by every major company - let's hope all selling becomes Principled Selling very soon.
on 6 March 2013
I don't sell cars, double glazing, or time-share. In fact I don't sell any goods of any kind. It wasn't until I attended a training course as a trainee solicitor in a corporate department of a commercial law firm that I realised I was nevertheless in a business that offered and provided services to its clients, and was therefore involved in sales. It certainly wasn't the stereotypical type of selling I had in my head before moving into a career in legal services. I was being introduced to the business creation, development and relationship building type of sales that are essential for professional service businesses.

I'm now a freelance tutor involved in business and legal practice education and training for students and trainees. I purchased this book to help me personally with my own business development, and also as a way of helping my students recognise that legal practice isn't only about the law - it's also about business and relationships.

The content of this book is something I would suggest all trainee lawyers should be introduced to as part of their training. By doing so a legal services business will be ensuring the next generation of lawyers are ready to become the trusted service providers and advisors that a client wants and needs as part of their business. I would much prefer a trainee came to terms will the realisation that they are selling and providing services by learning the principled selling approaches set out in this book, than to sell the wrong way later in their careers out of desperation for the need to secure work in the short term. This book will ensure trainees are introduced to a philosophy of relationship building, respect, and authenticity that the stereotypical sales person lacks.

The book is packed with practical application, advice, hints, tips, guidance, action points and real life case studies. If that's all you got, the book would still be great. However, the book gives you much more. It gives you a principled selling mindset and philosophy that all service providers and sales people should have. Priceless!
on 1 January 2013
As a seasoned sales professional, I liked this book.

Principled Selling brings together four fundamental strands to form a strong framework for selling today. Firstly, it provides a sensible, structured, staged approach with supporting models, tools and techniques. Secondly, within this approach, David Tovey empathises with and caters for the new on-line world of buying and selling, and shows how to build or modify marketing and sales activities. David does not, however, put this new world up as a panacea so, thirdly, he acknowledges and incorporates the importance of certain traditional ways that still have relevance, but he ensures these are set in a modern day context.

Fourthly, and to the crux of the book, its key differentiating strand is the importance, or should I say imperative, of always operating with integrity, honesty, trust and respect towards all customers, both internal and external, throughout the whole lifecycle of engagement. Whilst this may come naturally to some, it will become essential to all as buyers take more and more control and use sales behaviour more and more as a supplier differentiator.

Overall, I would say a solid and timely addition to the sales bookshelf that should be read and implemented widely.
on 28 December 2012
At last some common sense, no nonsense, practical advice that all sales people can benefit from. No matter how long you have been involved in selling there is always something new to learn and this book brings a refreshing new approach to what real selling is about. My copy of the book is already dog eared and covered in highlighter pen!

This book is easy to read and to understand, take a chapter a day and within a fortnight your style of selling will have changed for the better and forever! If your sales rely on building lasting relationships with your customers and clients then this book must become your bible. If you are in the "one time" sales market then the principles explained in the book will help you to close more sales. If you are in sales management get a copy for each member of your team!
on 19 October 2012
Thank you David Tovey!! I have never felt comfortable about selling until I read your book. I have been in business for several years and read many books about how to sell. Your book opened up a whole new meaning to me of what selling is and more importantly is not.

I found the book an enjoyable read which kept me turning the pages - and that is very refreshing for a business book.
`Principled Selling' is a real guide book. I loved the illustrations and the practical models. The link to the on line resources made the book come alive - what a great idea!

I have already started to put into practice the ideas in the book particularly the use of valuable content in finding new work.

Principled Selling is the way forward.
on 14 July 2013
I wavered between three and four stars, but have gone for 4. When this book is good it is very good. It is an interesting and appealing take on sales that should make you feel good about selling. It is very convincing too. My main caveat is that the building blocks of Principled Selling are relatively straightforward to grasp, but the book is padded out with all sorts of additional material which does not add to the fundamental claims. I also disliked the style of the diagrams. However, if you have struggled selling either in practice or with some sense that what you are doing is not ethical - this is probably the book for you.
on 30 December 2012
Finally, a book that recognises that in order to sell more products, sellers need to stop selling all together.

This book points the finger at two core truths within the business world today:

1. Buyers hate being sold to
2. Most salespeople hate selling

Furthermore, rather than simply state the case for change, David presents easy to understand ways in which to change the way you and your business approach the task of winning new business forever - for the better.

I'd highly recommend it to B2B professional looking for a fresh, proven approach.
on 31 December 2012
"I would urge all companies and their employees, and not just those with a sales or business development functional label, to absorb the wisdom in this book. In doing so they will inevitably make their lives, as suppliers, more fulfilling with eventual outcomes hugely to the advantage of all parties. In summary a book for, and of our time. Totally relevant, easy to understand and put into practice"

Principled Selling: How to Win More Business Without Selling Your Soul