5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a win-win, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life (Paperback)
I didn't purchase this book because I have a burning desire to be a corporate partner in a large commercial law firm. That had once been an ambition of mine. The focus of my attention is now in the field of legal practice education and training, and I purchased this book because I see part of my role as being able to help others make it to partner.

The book divides 21 chapters into 5 parts. As well as giving advice and guidance, each chapter is packed with very useful exercises, charts, action points, websites and suggested books for further reading and development.

Part 1 introduces you to you, and what being a partner really means. Reflective practice is something that for many years legal practice education has been lacking. Thankfully, there is now more emphasis placed on learning this skill. There are plenty of practical suggestions in this part of the book to help you develop in this area.

Part 2 focusses on how to become partnership potential. What I really enjoyed about this section was the recognition that partnership potential isn't something to focus on later down your career path. It's something that interviewers are likely to be looking for at the very early stages of your career.

Part 3 is how to survive those early years. This will help you develop an appreciation of the importance of networking within the firm and outside the firm. Networking is absolutely essential if you want to be a partner. If you wait for work to come to you, it will pass you by, and so will partnership.

Part 4 moves into the stage of your career where you need to be thinking about building your own client portfolio and your own team. Professional practice is as much about relationships as it is about practice. In this section you will learn about leadership, motivating others, people management, team skills, and looking after your own heath and well being. If you think becoming partner is stress free, you'll need to think again. This part of the book will help you survive and thrive.

Part 5 takes you to the door of partnership. You'll carry out a skills and risk audit on yourself. You'll need to, because the partner admission process will involve exactly that. This part of the book discusses the admission process, and if you get the green light, the last chapter in the book helps you take those first steps as a parter.

If you are at the beginning of your professional practice career, this book provides you with the map and the route to turn your ambition of becoming a partner into a reality. If you are involved in helping others achieve their goals and ambitions, this book will help you to help them. That's a win-win.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential read for law firm management and aspiring partners, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life (Paperback)
Thanks to Heather Townsend and Jo Larbie for providing the rare insight into how to make partner and still have a life. This book is a must for anyone responsible for career path management in the professional services sector. I wish this book had been available when I started out in legal HR.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to still have a life, 23 April 2013
This review is from: How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life (Paperback)
The book is an excellent study of the professional services world and the increasingly high demands on partners. Its reach is beyond the practical career roadmap and how-to-do-it guidance which is very helpful. The authors firmly believe that success in business can be achieved without sacrificing the quality of your personal life. It is all about making the right choices and getting all the support along this long journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 out of 5, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life (Paperback)
I found this book extremely informative about a subject that tends to be a taboo subject. We spend so much time gaining our qualifications that its easy to loose focus on our career goals once the 9-5 begins. I have never taken the time to really sit down and think whether or not partnership is for me and so learning about what it involves and what is expected was very useful. Also, taking the time to think about life goals, both inside and outside of work is a useful exercise to carry out. I found the book helpful in giving me a direction with my career goals and extremely motivational.

I would recommend this book to anyone in a public service job who like me, may be unsure whether partnership is for them and if it is, then how best to reach that goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful how to guide, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life (Paperback)
A really incisive and easy to follow guide on reaching partnership and still be a member of the human race. Each chapter contains some great templates to help the user define their goals and strategies.

A must read for any aspiring partner or indeed any professional service firm partner.

5.0 out of 5 stars I gave it to my son hoping he would avoid our mistakes, 17 Aug 2013
I read this book and realised how it was that long hours working in a professional services firm had contributed to the breakdown of my first marriage.

The endless expanding hours for billables, client meetings, and internal meetings left little time to play and in the long run a lot of important things took a hit that could have been avoided.

I gave it to my son who is ambitious and working hard in the hope that this would give him an opportunity to succeed at work and still have a successful partnership at home (when that time comes).

I wish I had read this 30 years ago!...I still find it useful now....

If you have children embarking on fee earning careers give this to them for Christmas....

5.0 out of 5 stars To the point and essential, 1 July 2013
This review is from: How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life (Paperback)
This book is like a secret weapon. No one tells you the how people are made partner and so this book is essential reading if you're aiming to join the partner club. I wish I'd read it right at the start of my career but it's a case of much better late then never. I know someone who relied heavily on the book in presenting a (successful) pitch for partnership. The book hits all the right buttons and rams home the point that being good at your job isn't enough: appreciating the market forces in your sector and having a strategy are key. For me, it could be more precisely titled "The secrets of how people make partnership" - the having a life bit is not the main focus but will give some food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knowledge of Professional Services, 19 Dec 2012
Michael Beale (UK) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up because many of my clients come from professional service firms. The first benefit I found for reading the book was I gained a deep understanding of their world, and particularly why technical competence seems to be valued much more than softer skills.

As I read the book, I was struck by the fact it is comprehensive and full of many practical tips. As I run a training and coaching business, I will be putting into practice much of the great advice given.

It's great on how to differentiate yourself, become the go-to-expert and build your own client portfolio in a time effective way.

I'd recommend this book for anyone new into the professions, or who works with the professions, or who is looking to progress their career within a partnership environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, practical book, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life (Paperback)
The book is a very useful guide covering many areas of professional life and provides practical suggestions to help navigate the path to partnership. As an aspiring Audit Manager in a top 10 accountancy firm, I am sure that this book will be useful over the next few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book!, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life (Paperback)
I originally bought this book for a friend who was wanting to make partner in his accountancy practice. I nearly didn't give him the book, as it was so practical, readable and actually applicable for anyone looking to get promoted without sacrificing their life in the process.

I particularly liked the chapters on becoming the 'go to expert' and 'growing your own client portfolio', I will be taking on board the advice in these chapters to help me with my business development responsibilities.

How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life
How to Make Partner and Still Have a Life by Jo Larbie (Paperback - 3 Nov 2012)
26.46