5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you going.
The book is easy to read and you can whizz through Marianne's conversational writing style in a few hours to leave you feeling pumped and positive about the future.

Published 19 months ago by Harrisonamy

2.0 out of 5 stars Crossing from relentless optimism to madness
I'm REALLY surprised to see so many 5-star reviews here. This book is in fantasy land. It's completely and utterly unrealistic.

Crammed full of vague tales of folk who've quit their 9-5 and walked straight into high paid, well respected non-jobs where they telecommute for a few days a week from their luxurious new lives in the Bahamas, this is just ridiculous...
Published 7 months ago by Rosey Lea

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you going., 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Be a Free Range Human: Escape the 9-5, Create a Life You Love and Still Pay the Bills (Paperback)

However the real beauty is the immense amount of work that has gone into including the resources, exercises and further reading to help you transform your newfound inspiration into useful action.

This combination of enthusiasm and practical application is what stops this being just another business / self-help / personal-development book.

Think: far more substance than a book of motivational quotes, but less boring and stuffy than a traditional business book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start if you are planning to go free range!, 5 Aug 2013
I purchased this book after it was recommended by Tim Ferris (famous free ranger. I am now 4 years into a free range career and haven't looked back. That said I have made some of the classic mistakes Marianne talks about in her book. I left a very well paid job as a project manager in the city to open a coffee shop near the coast in Dorset. Sounds idyllic, except that I had built my own cage...dooh! I sold the coffee shop and have started writing E-Books for a living working from home or the camper parked somewhere lovely! It's not been an easy transition and there have been many times I have put my CV online to go back to the old career. My advice is make sure you have your financial situation in check before you jump. Need to renew your mortgage deal? Do it now before you go as it will be a number of years before the bank see you as stable again.

A well though out book with lots of freebee topics found online. Whilst the book is not a business idea generator it will help you nurture and grow the ideas you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Nov 2013
Very Inspiring and motivational. I think it's important to point out, however, that this is not a book about creating a business. It's about creating and living the life you want and creating enough money to support that lifestyle. It takes lots of courage, hard work and creativity to walk away from the corporate world. I did it and it's been a roller-coaster of a ride! When you do leave your job please be very, very careful about the "job you give yourself". Marianne is absolutely right that you cannot succeed unless you have a passion, burning deep within your soul, for what you do. It's the only way you're going to have the drive and energy to achieve the "expert status" you'll really need to succeed. You cannot be shy and retiring either. One way or another you're going to have to be comfortable with selling yourself and your expertise. We live in a world where nearly everything depends on a sale from the houses we live in to the clothes we wear and the food we eat. Whatever you do will involve selling yourself, your personality and expertise, so please be up for this before you jump. It's also vital that you surround yourself with good friends and lots of social interaction, as working on your own can be very lonely and isolating. No man is an Island - truly. If you know what your passion is, I agree with Marianne to play with it and make a prototype. Just get on with it! Keep your job and simply dip your toe in the water. If there's a market for your expertise and you're making good money, just leap and get on with it. Marianne so rightly asks "if you had only one life, what would you do with it? " Have a good think about this clever question - you're only here for a heartbeat in the life of planet earth. Build, create and live. There are no days to kill. Be proud of yourself and persevere with your passions. Be brave, tell your story and make other people's lives better. Also, please don't play the "when then game" ie when I have a nicer, car, house, girlfriend, job etc then I'll be happy. Discontentment seems to be one of the biggest diseases of our time. Happiness is found in the journey, not the destination. LEAP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly honest, funny, insightful and practical. Be warned., 4 Jan 2013
Marianne has an uncanny knack of combining straight-talking, concrete business advice, uncommon real life examples and contagious enthusiasm to throw the doors wide open to what's possible.

If you get the feeling that your life and work have not quite gone to plan - or it has, but somehow it just doesn't feel as good as you imagined - read this book. You'll get plenty of "OH! So THAT's why..." and "seriously, I'm not the only one?" moments, "I never thought about it like THAT" lightbulbs and most importantly a wealth of "THIS is what I can do next" possibilities.

This is much more than a business guide. It's a wake up call, that speaks to the heart, reads your mind and gives you practical tools you can use right now to start creating a life you love (rather than a "follow this model, do it like this, sell your soul first then you'll have enough money to do what you want...")

Refreshingly honest, funny, insightful and practical. Like talking to a best friend who knows you AND knows her stuff, and won't let you get away with excuses, martyrdom or settling for second rate. Be warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it promises. Worked for me !, 25 Feb 2013
I have followed Marianne's Free Range Humans blog for some time and have always enjoyed her straight talking, practical, honest approach. She's not a 'get rich quick' merchant, she is the real deal - what really resonated with me was her own personal experience of being 'trapped in the career cage'.
Her book brings together years of blog posts, course materials etc in one place. It contains all the core information and exercises that will get you going on the road to a free range lifestyle. It's so important to do the exercises but you can take things at your own pace, which I liked.
It really has worked for me. After years of trying to dream up some 'big idea' on my own, Marianne's approach and exercises made me realise that not only was I focusing on the wrong things but I also needed to get out of my rut and experiment with test projects instead of overthinking every tiny detail.
I have now launched my own business, with no loans, capital or overheads, and it is growing at the speed that works for me. I am so much happier and I can also still pay the bills !

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring: the rest is up to you, 2 Mar 2014
This is probably one of the best books of its type that I have read for a very long time. Written by someone who has been there and done it, she offers sound advice on how to move from a life of sorts to a really fulfilling life that is really worth living. This book covers a lot of ground and, to be honest, I would really need to read it again to really absorb all the ideas she promotes, if only to do the exercises properly and come up with some sort of landscape into which I can move forward.

I do have some minor criticisms, though. It would have been nice to see some more men in the case studies (apparently, some 80% of her clients are women) as it would appear to me that they are often just as trapped as their female colleagues in the corporate world. Sometimes, they can be the major breadwinner in a family, so everyone has the most to lose if they go about free ranging in the wrong way. Sure, mistakes will be made during the journey, but it would have been nice to have seen it from a male perspective.

I would also have like to have seen how this could have been done from a more British perspective, as so many of these books are geared towards US culture and their workplaces. Although Cantwell is Australian, I was irritated by the use of Americanisms, including the word "freaking". If you can't use the proper word, no matter how bad, then don't use it at all! Her use of such dialectic English really grated.

Also, many of the people she refers to in her book were middle-class professional graduates and it would have been helpful if the reach of this book had been expanded to include those who are perhaps not as well educated as her. If anything, given the inequalities in the UK, and especially with the difficulties that young people have in finding a good career these days, I would have though some specific advice to those other demographics would have been very helpful.

None of this, however, distracts from some very sound advice and some inspiring stories. This book could be a lifechanger if you let it - the only real issue that remains is having the courage to actually step over to the other side of the fence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing Cantwell, 12 May 2014
I first discovered this book in May 2013 and it has literally changed my life. In 12 months I became a free range human and it's largely due to Cantwell's direct, honest coaching. Her exercises on finding the thing that will make you happy, and her enthusiasm for building a portfolio career are utterly engaging and spot on. If you're unsettled at work, read this book. I have paperback and kindle versions!

4.0 out of 5 stars Do the exercises!, 10 Mar 2013
T. Kumar - See all my reviews
All too easy to skim through as another 'self help' book but it is way more than that. The exercises are very useful to do and after a awhile, I fine my brain opening up to new ideas. I haven't finished it yet but enjoying it so far

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you walk the walk, not just talk about it, 25 Feb 2013
I loved this book and had great fun being profiled in it (the chapter on branding). I've been a fan of Marianne's work for a few years now, I've not found many others who care so much and are so passionate about helping people to create a working life that fits in with everything they've wanted.

I bought copies for Mr Jen and for a friend who has a great business but who I can see being even more amazing than she already is.

The book is comprehensive in that it isn't just for people who have a business and want to make it bigger, but for anyone sitting there, like I used to, at their desk thinking the best things that can happen to them at work are:
1. coffee break
2. lunch
3, going home

There IS more to life - this book helps you to identify what a great life looks like to YOU then helps you go get it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Range ... and nearly 50!, 26 April 2013
I was already Free Range when I bought this book, but having followed Marianne's blog at [...] for a couple of months, I really wanted to find out more ... and even reading as someone who'd already taken the leap, I have walked away with some amazing ideas and processes as a result of reading it.

In fact I have read it once and now intend to go back through it again more slowly, this time working through the many excellent exercises that it contains and scribbling notes next to the bits that resonate with me most ... and there were many.

I took voluntary redundancy from the BBC after 20 years having gone part time, then taken a career break, sold the house, then finally taken the plunge, building up my online business step-by-step in the process ... much in the way that's described in 'Be A Free Range Human'.

I have a family, we home educate one of my children and have all the usual encumbrances (or reasons not to take the plunge) much as any other reader will have ... I had zero business experience and no contacts.

I blundered through that process on my own, and I really wish I'd had this book to read - and for reassurance - while I was doing that.

It takes you from managing your doubts and worries (everybody has to overcome those two things!) through to the creative process of coming up with your idea, then to the practicalities of getting it going and onto your new life.

I have to stress that although I'm doing this already, I still walked away with so much that is actionable as a result of reading 'Be A Free Range Human'.

There were so many concepts that really resonated with me, so many ideas that will help me on my own Free Range journey - and I'm actually going to get my teenage daughter to give it a read as I suspect it'll be the best bit of careers advice she ever gets!

The book is easy to digest, it has short, focused chapters, it's packed with tips, real-life examples and bonus extras and it's well laid out in a manner that encourages rapid consumption of the contents.

You're probably reading these reviews because you want desperately to change your life.

This book will show you that it really is possible - whatever excuses you find to convince yourself that it's not - and it will take you by the hand and reveal to you, step-by-step how you can achieve Free Range freedom.

And let me tell you as another who has done it, although you may not be sure of what lies ahead I doubt that you'll ever regret leaving your old life behind for your new life of freedom, adventure and self fulfillment.

I recommend this book for everybody who's ever had a glimmer of 'what if?' whilst doing their day job and wishing for change ... take that first step, read this book and take the first step towards your own Free Range life today.

Paul Teague