5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for getting back to work
Published 22 months ago by SylviaDell

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.
Don't waste your money. There's nothing new in this book, was expecting a lot more reading the reviews. Everything in this book looks like it's copied from the internet. Nothing original and doesn't give personal examples. Also the whole book is available online for free in PDF format - so big waste of money.
Published 1 month ago by Amber

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for getting back to work, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Definitive Personal Assistant & Secretarial Handbook: A Best Practice Guide for All Secretaries, PAs, Office Managers and Executive Assistants (Paperback)
This excellent book is packed full of useful information about the role of the PA, from efficiency tips and time saving ideas, to website links and the latest on social media. It starts with a thought-provoking exercise on self-awareness and contains a range of templates which challenged my pre-conceptions and helped me to set work-related goals. Several chapters focus on best practice for everyday tasks like time management, organisation, minute-taking and presentations. The chapter on organising meetings and events was especially useful with comprehensive checklists, which I am already making full use of. The chapter on social media and the power of networking is invaluable and I'm already getting significant benefit from putting Sue's ideas into action.

I bought the handbook as I was planning to return to employment post-family, and the advice I read has enabled me land an excellent job even before I'd finished reading the entire book. So I am delighted to recommend the Definitive Personal Assistant & Secretarial Handbook, by Sue France to all PAs and anyone with an admin role.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a bible for secretaries!, 13 May 2013
I have worked as receptionist, admin assistant and executive secretary before I bought this book. And, I must say that I should have bought this earlier because this is very informative. I especially like the part where the author says we should "manage our manager".

I always carry this book whenever I go to work!

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book for all support staff, 19 Mar 2013
A great book with sections you can choose to read in any order. This book is full of great tips and advice and is very motivating. Its a little nudge to remind us that we all have room for improvement.

The sections are good training notes and beat having to spend a whole day in a workshop when time doesn't always permit. I will use this book over and over and would recommend it to anyone in a supporting role who wants to better themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wannabe Best Practice Girl, 16 Oct 2012
At my last appraisal my boss said he wished there was a book out there which showed him how he should best work with a PA (I am the first assistant he hasn't had to share!) so I know he will enjoy this book as much as I do! Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sue France - Definitive PA Handbook, 1 Aug 2013

I have been an Exec PA for nearly 14 years and wasn't sure what I could learn from this book - wow - how wrong was I! The book is jam packed with tips, guidance, help and whole raft of things that are completley useful to me! I now consider this to be my new personal "Bible" and cannot wait to start reading book 2. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 20 April 2013
Susanne (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I was a little skeptical about whether this book would actually have any useful ideas that were new to me, but I'm pleasantly surprised. There are so many sections on body language, how to feel good about what you do, organising your day etc, that I certainly felt I got my money's worth. I have been a PA for many years, but moving into a new and bigger job recently, I felt it was time I polished up on my skills. I am still dipping in and out of the book and am impressed.

I gave it 4 stars, and not 5, simply because I reserve my 5's for books that are exceptional, I would have given it 4.5 if that were possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 10 Oct 2012
Was looking for a book to define the role of the modern Personal Assistant / secretary. This was and is the definitive book

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide for new and experienced administrators / personal assistants, 27 July 2014
Another book by Sue France that Im happy to recommend for new and experienced business support professionals. Its full of useful tips and information. It's introduced me to a few new ideas and tools to make my job a lot easier. It manages to cover all the basics an administrator / personal assistant would need to know and has useful chapters on networking, social media and managing conflict in the workplace which are aimed at the more experienced business support professionals.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 4 July 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful manual, 11 May 2014
Bought this book because I saw it advertised and wanted more tips and hints on the subject.
Stilll reading it.