on 8 November 2012
After finally securing a front line HR role, I purchased this as a refresher to get me up to speed after studying a HR related degree and further CPP study years ago. I wanted to ensure I was up to speed with recent changes to legislations and re-familiarised with the challenges of managing HR issued to help me make a flying start to the role.

There are plenty of great generalist tips and ideas for HR professionals but much of the best practice suggested is not backed up by solid examples, much of this feels common sense rather than expert guidance. Whilst I have certainly gained the good grounding I wanted I would have liked further practical examples to drill down into the issues and give them context against the advice I will need to provide. I would certainly recommend for those looking for a good overview but would issue a note of caution for anyone looking for more varied viewpoints or relation back to actual experience/examples to contextualise the theoretical stance(s) taken.
on 24 February 2013
It's perfect for looking up, learning about and referencing the most common workplace issues and requirements. Easy to understand with little in the way of legal double Dutch.
I needed to get up to speed on employment law and this little book has been a great help. All the new laws on parental leave and hiring and firing are well explained.
The book has done what it intended to do, make me as a employer keep up with the current trends and laws. It is well researched and written and should be on every managers bookshelf.
on 28 December 2013
I am an employment lawyer hoping to branch out into Human resources at some point, to broaden my horizons somewhat.
If you feel you know what there is to know about the treatment and development of employees - think again! Hav yourself a read of this companion. It tells you a whole lot more than you may already know.
on 30 September 2013
The only complaint about this book is that I couldn't find it in hardback. It has all the information necessary and also has sample letters and is the perfect, easy to use reference book
on 24 April 2013
Very interesting book. Covers all the topics for anyone starting in business with employing staff.
Helped me with the Contract of employment and staff handbook.
on 18 May 2013
just what we needed in our business, with only 3 staff, its a good guide to cover all that we need to know. makes understanding the rules much easier.
on 15 July 2013
Like to keep an up to date copy of this in the office. Things are changing frequently and this helps to keep up with current trends and legislation.
on 25 November 2013
Using this for bits of information and general reading while doing CIPD qualification. It's up to date, easy to read and useful for it's purpose.
on 25 June 2013
Needed this book for an exam, was very useful and covered all the subject areas needed. Easy to read and very thorough.