5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly clear and useful, 20 Nov 2012
Alan Barnard and Chris Parker have produced a great little book which lifts the curtain on the dark arts of campaigning and communications and allows us all to learn what to do and how to do it, to organise and lead a really effective communications campaign. The simple, clear, readable style means it is accessible for everyone: I thought I knew a bit about comms but I found lots in here to add to my kitbag. I've passed it on to community-based campaign groups, who love its very straightforward, no-jargon, methodical approach.

Here are three points I particularly like. 1. Tell a compelling story - this is about winning hearts and minds, best done not just through dry facts and careful argument but rather through crafting a convincing story full of passion and commitment "...stories are at the core of what makes us human, which is why they are at the core of every campaign." 2. Be ethical - contributing to the sum total of good in the world, caring about what you're doing and the effects this will have, keeping in mind that an effective campaign always has far-reaching effects - and not always in ways you expect. 3. Practise micro-communication skills - or the art of good conversations - emphasising curiosity, good listening, building rapport and demonstrating respect (and not just getting your point across!) This is not just about designing a great campaign on a whiteboard in an office: this is about what we do and how we do it, every day and in every moment.

But those are just my three favourite points - there is so much in this book both for the seasoned campaigner and also for the grass roots community worker or local group who needs to organise a campaign at ground level - and without the benefit of PR budget! It's clear, simple, well argued and inspirational. Oh! Just like a good campaign...! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Campaign It!, 6 April 2012
This review is from: Campaign It!: Achieving Success Through Communication (Paperback)
Anyone wanting for an adventure or possessing a sense of mission should read this book.

I first came across the work of Alan Barnard and John Braggins & co shortly after I joined the Labour Party in 1994. As a young fresh-faced recruit with time on his hands I quickly became one of only a handful of members in my `CLP' to be given the Party's newly-released General Election Handbook - a snip at 20!

Campaign It! feels like a second cousin to that handbook, though more sophisticated and expanded to include many other areas including a personal approach to facing new challenges.

It was a revelation to me that you could quantify an electorate (or audience) and take graduated steps to promote and develop your campaign to help secure a change in Government or win a seat on the local council. Other people talked of holding rallies in the name of the cause. I wanted to win for it.

I have campaigned every year since then. I still occasionally use the flip charts from 1995 which broke down the electorate into `promises' that needed to be translated into votes. I always use a campaign grid and I always start planning my campaigns from polling day backwards. Campaign It! builds on these principles for all types of campaigns in all walks of life.

Years passed by and I have had the opportunity to work alongside and see first-hand Alan, John & Co's work. I don't wear the badge but I played a walk on part at the centre of reversing the tide of the Far Right in the East End of London in 2010. The Battle for Barking wasn't merely about beating the BNP it was about tackling their cause and gaining back the trust of those who felt left behind and left out. The result was for many people the high point of Election Night 2010. It also paved the way for the possibility of a new beginning in a community that deserved better.

Campaign it! teaches us that the best campaigns are not won on the spur of the moment or just out of goodwill but in the considered calm of the backroom where the battle lines are drawn up with a beginning and ending in mind, put into practice, nurtured, coordinated efficiently and adjusted accordingly. Then and only then, can you begin to contemplate a new dawn breaking.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius!, 28 Mar 2012
To say this book is enlightening is an understatement. It brings together Alan Barnard's immense talent for macro-communications with Chris Parker's masterful flare for micro-communications to produce an entertaining insight into the art of campaigning. I found myself immersed in the clever use of stories and having eureka moments as I realised how I could use the Campaign It! model in all aspects of my life. This is a book that delivers. Highly recommended.

Campaign It!: Achieving Success Through Communication
Campaign It!: Achieving Success Through Communication by Chris Parker (Paperback - 3 Feb 2012)
19.99