5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great ideas to improve written communication.
Published on 9 Dec. 2012 by star.business.books

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but basic advice
I ordered this product in the hope that it would help with my Business English tutoring, but it was a disappointment in the sense that it did not provide clear, easy to follow writing frames. However, I could see that the basic advice which was offered in this book would be most useful for Business English learners at an Elementary to Intermediate level.
Published on 27 Sept. 2009 by J. Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but basic advice, 27 Sept. 2009
J. Butler - See all my reviews
This review is from: Better Business English: How to Write Effective Business English: The essential toolkit for composing powerful letters, emails and more, for today's business needs.: 1 (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great ideas to improve written communication., 9 Dec. 2012
I have worked in multinational companies for over 20 years and was delighted to find this excellent book which aims to improve English writing skills in global businesses. I've seen the unfortunate and costly effects of badly written e-mails, letters and manuals, so I'm very pleased that someone has taken the initiative to stimulate an improvement. I'm sure that the author's wealth of experience evident in this introductory book will provide great benefits to many people in business.

The first part of the book sets the scene by describing the benefits of good business English....and some of the problems of poor business English! The book describes many different issues as a way of stimulating the reader to think about how to select a writing style. There are plenty of good examples, practical guides and action checklists to help the reader.

There is a useful section on punctuation and grammar followed by a chapter dealing with some common word confusions (e.g. license and licence). Guidance is strongly reinforced by examples using business language and conventions.

The final chapters deal with e-mail and letter writing. Here again, examples and checklists help you decide how to write your message in the best way.

Overall, the book is easy to read and easy to use as a reference document.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, doesn't leave my desk, 12 Jun. 2011
I originally picked up this book when looking for advice on how to improve my CV and covering letter based on a recommendation. I've since found my dream job - being commended on my powerful covering letter! - and find it is an essential tool when communicating at work. This book has for example helped me write shorter, more concise emails, get to the point more quickly and get the responses that I want. The book is always at my desk and I never give it out of hand.
I recently found out that the author, Fiona Talbot has a consultancy and offers workshops for companies where they train to communicate more effectively as a team but also as a company with the market, and I am now getting approval to hire her for the team. Absolute must read and my thanks to the author for helping me with my English writing!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and practical book, 5 Oct. 2009
I got all three books in this series and was delighted with how they all covered aspects of writing which tended to be lacking as I grew up. I found this first book to be a wake up call for people like me of the importance of getting your communication right. It was easy to read and full of useful tips with check lists to go back to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for brushing up ur English, 11 Jun. 2013
It's A good little guide to brush up your English and grammar. I guess as time pass by we pick bad English which could affect our writing skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this book as part of the series of ..., 13 Aug. 2014
I purchased this book as part of the series of books that Fiona has created. They're fabulous! I keep them in my business and when new employees join I encourage them to read them. This book is the first in the series so acts as an introduction. Although some have commented that this book is basic, it's often the basics that people do not get right. There are helpful checklists for you to use so you can reflect on your own writing and you can see if you actually practice what you know!

1.0 out of 5 stars Featureless, 13 Jun. 2011
This book is a mere INTRODUCTION to other series I haven't read (and won't read) since the first, many, pages focus on how extroardinary the OTHER books will be.

It could positevely help only non non native English speakers with a poor knowledge of the language; for native speakers instead it is only a big collection of platitudes.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant series of books!, 5 Mar. 2013
These books Fiona has developed and the insight she shares about the style and approach we should consider when trying to create a positive impact when writing either for work or education are fabulous! I have the first three and they are well used. I am looking forward to dipping into the new book too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 12 Aug. 2013
I was expecting more from this book, there's nothing new, nothing remarkable to remember, too many obviousness. Nothing to learn honestly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful Book!, 24 Jun. 2011
Great concept to have a structured three book office toolkit. It makes a great deal of sense. The content is particularly useful in a global context and I'll be suggesting my team use the very practical checklists provided.