5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy book if you are currently job hunting

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - errors within
Published on 9 Aug 2004 by Nothern Climes

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy book if you are currently job hunting, 10 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I was invited by the big retail store to an assessment day for their management schem. The assessment process included psychometric tests, and individual interviews. The psychometric tests included numerical and verbal reasoning tests. I am not particularly good at maths and my degree is in business. However, I am convinced that chapter 4 in this book has helped me to pass and win a job offer. The book, which provides a large number of answered questions in different numerical rests, i.e. numerical estimation, problem solving, interpretation of graphs and data, tables, etc. has expanded my understanding of how the numerical problems could be expressed in different forms and by understanding these forms one can answer the actual numerical tests quickly and accurately. I didn't have to wait too long on a question in my assessment day, because I knew from familiarising in the book's numerical tests what was the best way to solve and answer the questions. Also, I managed by looking at the given answers to make an intelligent guess on others in order to increase my score, due the tight time. The feedback I received from HR confirmed my prediction; I manage to score 70% correct in my numerical tests. Thank you to the author and the publisher for the well presented and well formulated tests. This a must-buy book if you are currently job-hunting. Finally, I could say don't attend any retailer's assessment day without reading the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - errors within, 9 Aug 2004
Nothern Climes (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How to Pass Professional Level Psychometric Tests: Challenging Practice Questions for Graduate and Professional Recruitment: Contains Practice Tests for IT, Finance and Recruitment (Testing Series) (Paperback)
I am not a genius and this book certainly has its value, but I agree with Mr S A Powers that some answers simply do not add up and are thus determined to be erroneous. It's a pity, bc it's not a bad manual but in my opinion to have a book of this type with worked examples and a Q/A section that is flawed, however slightly, is not good enough. What is the point of a 'model answer' if it's not 100%?
All-in-all though, it must be helping me get to grips with the basic concepts of these tests if I'm able to challenge some of the stated answers. Certainly worth a look but if you get the odd answer 'wrong', don't give yourself too hard a time over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is simply the best, 29 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I graduated recently and am currently applying for jobs in the finance industry. I bought the book to assess its content and see if it would help me with my assessment days. I am confident to say that the book is unique and many of tests have never been published before. I own a large number of psychometric tests from different publishers. But I think the most amazing thing about the book which differentiates it from others is its uniqueness in approaching problems and solving them as introduced as intelligent tips. All the psychometric books I have read required confronting the problem head on by testing your brain power, without any hints as to the best way to approach the problem. However in this book the problem is looked at from different perspectives, to help what I call the "ordinary brain" to think beyond the convention to solve the problem. It provides intelligent tricks which open your mind to a new dimension in solving problems beyond the conventional and give you courage and self-confidence to perform better in your actual tests, even if not the same tests are used, because you can use these tips to think differently, as I did in my assessment day with HSBC, where I achieved 80% correct. Most of the tests I encountered in my assessment day were similar in principle to those found in the book. Therefore, thumbs up for the book; it is simply the best, and I give it 10 out 10 I also recommend it for all graduates applying for jobs in IT, finance and management to help them to pass and achieve high scores. However, I suggest from my experience that it is better to spend some time reading all the chapters and understanding all the tips before attending any assessment, because I am very confident that you will be asked to take similar tests in principle during your actual assessment day. Also, what I suggest to the author is to make the book complete by adding verbal reasoning tests.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all..., 9 Jan 2010
C. Sampath "sam_chakra" (Chesham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book gives quite a lot of examples of questions that one could typically expect to face in a Psychometric test. While that is the good part of the book, the not so good is the lack of clear explanation about how the solution is arrived. At the start of each section, there is an explanation of the key to the solutions, but it would have been very helpful if they had provided it for every question.

If you are short of time for the interview, this is not the book for you. On the other hand, if you want to practice lots of questions for psychometric tests, give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Oct 2004
After graduating last July with a degree in Finance I went to the USA for my summer holiday and heard by chance about the book when reading an article about psychometric tests in one of the USA journals. I bought the second edition of the book on my return to the UK and attended two assessment days for Barclays and HSBC banks. I was surprised that most of the psychometric tests given to us by both banks were very similar to the ones provided in the book, especially the diagrammatic reasoning tests. I passed both assessment days and I was offered two graduate positions. However I chose the HSBC because is nearer to my home. Therefore I wholeheartedly believe the book deserves 5 stars. It is comprehensive, easy to ready and contains lots of expert tips to help you to do better in your assessment day.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is very helpful full of examples and answered questions,, 6 Nov 2001
By A Customer
I was working as manager for a big procurement company. I have a degree in history and graduated five years ago. Unfortunately my company suffered immensely due the down turn in USA market and the recession, which hit the manufacturing industry in the UK. I was made redundant and I thought of changing my career direction to IT. I applied for a job with one of the leading IT service providers in the UK. In the invitation letter I was asked to sit a computer aptitude tests. I am very good at using computers but I have never programmed and it was a daunting moment when I asked the HR what they meant exactly since no practical exercises accompanied their invitation letter. The answer was that no prior knowledge was required and everything would be explained during the assessment day. Now I would say I am extremely lucky that I have bought this book and read chapter 3 thoroughly, about assembly language tests and understood the basic programming skills, which many big industries expect you to comprehend during the actual assessment day. In my actual assessment day I was given a manual and a booklet with questions to answer in 1.5 hours. The test was very similar to the one in the book and familiarising myself in advance with the book's tests helped me and gave me the courage to complete and pass the tests, even though I am not an IT person. I am very grateful to the book's content. Without it I would not have passed and I really recommend the book for anyone applying for jobs in IT industry. Therefore I gave the book 10 out 10, it is very helpful full of examples and answered questions, and I appreciate the way it approaches problem solving through intelligent tips and numerous examples and solutions provided. It is simply an excellent book, definitely worth buying if you are currently job hunting.

4.0 out of 5 stars My experience using the book, 4 Nov 2012
New, easy to read and understand. There are so many standard questions, enough to prepare me. I really enjoy studying it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Professional Level Psycometric Tests, 25 Aug 2010
Too IT focussed for what I wanted, so not as much practice tests as I would have liked for Managerial type positions. The other book I bought, whilst not as diffciult was more representative of what I experience during the assessment centre

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Seller Would recconmend.., 5 Aug 2010
Seller was great and dispatched the book on time, The book was a little hard to get into however good price and good deal...

Happy with my purchase and the book was in great condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceedingly useful, 26 Sep 2005
I graduated this year from Brunel University with a degree in computing and applied for several graduate schemes for big organisations including HSBC and EDS, Barclays Bank, etc. I was dead surprised that most of the psychometric tests in our assessment day were similar to the tests in this book, especially the ones in chapter 1, the Diagrammatic Test, chapter 2 the Number Series tests and chapter 3, Compiler Checking and assembly tests. I would like to say thanks for this lovely book which helped me to practise and pass and get my first graduate job with HSBC. I would say it is exceedingly useful if you want to win a graduate job in a big organisation.