on 6 December 2005
This book became absolutely invaluable to me as I was going through the recruitment process to join the Police. It gives you pointers on what to/what not to include on your application, practice questions for the pyschometric tests and good advice on what to do through the assessment centre. It helped me to get through the stages and I would recommend it to any potential new recruit.
on 28 November 2005
This book was recommended to me and I was willing to try anything to help me get through the assessment centre.
Let me just say that this book is fantastic, it contains ALL the information you'll need to know and also gives you practice tests which I found extremely useful. It's very easy to understand and I would recommend it to everyone. BUY IT!
on 9 July 2007
Firstly, the book is good for the practice maths and verbal reasoning tests and helping you with your application form.

However, the book seems to lack any real help where you need it most. It seems to describe the process in detail but offer little help in the way of preparing you for the tests. For most people, the role plays and interview stages are the real worry of the Assesment Centre, there seemed to be little information of value on these stages.

As pointed out already, it is out of date. The book will teach you about writing a letter for the Assesment Centre which is no longer a requirement. In this sense, your on your own for the writen section of the Assesment Centre.

At the end of the day, the price of this book isn't going to put much of a dent in your wallet, and it does help to some extent.... but to me it didn't offer the kind of help other reviewers found it to be.

The most important information in this book is given to you, for free, prior to the Assesment Centre (should you pass the application form).

I'd advise others to buy it, but don't expect too much from it.
on 14 July 2006
Just completed my a/c day for hants- this book is a bible when it comes to gathering knowledge of what to expext and practice questions
on 19 April 2005
Using this book, and a little common sense, I passed Assessment first time. Obviously, I can't discuss what happens on the day, but with 20/20 hindsight, I can say this guide is spot on. Highly recommended.

(NOTE (Oct 2007) - the SEARCH assessment process has changed since this book was published and I joined the Service. I suggest you search for an updated version and use that instead, but if there isn't one, the basic principles still apply :-)
on 28 December 2006
I have just been accepted into Cheshire Police and this book played a large part in my application. I do believe that this book is the reason I passed my assessment centre. After reading the book I felt quietly confident going into my assessment centre and would have been a nervous wreck otherwise. I would advise anyone thinking of joining the police or already in the process of applying to buy this book as it is a great help.
on 9 April 2005
If you are thinking about joining the police this book is for you,it gives a general outline of what you can expect from each of the test phases and gives you various questions and answers.
One gripe that I have is that the questions are identical to the previous book "how to pass to police selection system". I purchased this version as it had a chapter on the role plays,however I would have expected different questions in the maths and verbal reasoning chapters.
Details on the role plays are highly general,giving the reader a general outline of what is expected of you.This is of limited use however,I would have thought the author would have included some practical examples,but alas they are missing.
If you have the first edition then I would stick with it,there isn't enough new material in this to justify the expense,however if you don't have the older version then this is a good buy,just don't expect too much from it.
on 27 September 2013
I am about to take my first PIR and this has given me practice with the written parts of the assessment and also given me valuable tips for how to approach the challenges that are going to be thrown at me. Would say that each police force is different and do not take it as gospel that you will get everything in the one go. You always get a briefing sheet before them so you know what what is to be expected. They give a framework that will guild you through interview and group exercises which even I can memorise. Practice is the key and if you take these on board it allows you to practice in a way you are going to be able to showcase best personality traits. I think this is a great book - time will tell if I pass the test though.
on 22 May 2008
This book was excellent in preparing me and helping me pass the PIRT.
It gave me the cofidence I needed on the day and I would reccommend it to anyone thinking about applying for the police force.
Go for it!
on 7 December 2013
Lovely condition book and it really helped my nerves for the Assessment Centre. This book helped me through my Special Constable assessment as I knew what to expect. I will say that this book will be great for anyone wanting to go into Policing as I was a little over prepared for the Special position, non the less a great book and I heavily recommend. The book itself was in perfect condition, very pleased!