Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 January 2014
i purchased on behalf of friend . she is pleased with the book but I dont know much more about it
on 3 March 2016
need it to complete the trilogy - only had book 2. haven't started it yet
on 21 November 2015
Real twisting and turning story, very much a classic.
on 10 November 2015
I have loved this book forever,
just go read
on 22 November 2002
Mervyn Peake was a genius. Titus Groan is a literal masterpiece, and in my humble opinion should be included in the national curriculum, as it contains some of the most colourful scenes ever written, supported by an unsurpassed vocabulary. Hints of Peake's eventual insanity come through in the prose, providing a dark, surrealist edge to the story.
This is the most under-rated book of the 20th Century, and should be rated as original and influential as the Lord of the Rings.
on 9 August 2015
As described and quick delivery. Thanks
on 24 May 2000
Having read and enjoyed the two previous parts of the Gormenghast trilogy, I was looking forward to the concluding part. However it didn't meet my expectations, and I found it tedious and a chore to read, although I am glad that I persevered, as the ending is probably the best and most exciting part of the book. Gormenghast itself hardly features in the book, and I was left wondering what became of the characters that I had read about in the first two books.
on 8 September 2014
Superbly written and stunningly odd.
on 7 February 2009
I bought this book on a whim, I remember a good friend of mine (sadly dead now) reading it for (possibly) A-Level English in the 1970s and happened across it whilst browsing on here.

It has to be one of the most descriptive books I have ever read, brilliantly written (and found me searching the dictionary for some of the words 'abactine' for example).

The characters are excellent, and certainly the gothic, dark theme comes out superbly.

If I had one criticism it is this - not much really happens in over 500 pages. I looked at a summary of it on Wikipedia and thought 'Yep that's everything covered in a few paragraphs'! However I am glad I read it and would recommend it if only for the beautiful narrative.

I am not sure I will read the other two books of the trilogy - one day perhaps.

Rob Sawyer
on 14 January 2014
This is a most remarkable piece of literature. It takes the reader after two previous books, in one sentence from the medieval world of the Castle, with its rituals, it's middle ages acts and a world of rough squalor and low technology, to the early part if the twentieth century of motor cars and scientific warfare. There is a very distinct feel of "Art Deco" combined with the high tech world of "sleek flying machines". The conclusion itself surprises the reader where in the final chapter Titus behaves unpredictably but in context with his character.
Thus is a surprising final book in the trilogy which leaves many questions unanswered particularly regarding the fate of Junk and Anchor.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse