5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious
This is my fourth Roddy Doyle book and although I would recommend anything he writes, this is by far the best I have read so far. It struck me that anyone who likes the UK series "The Royle Family" would love this book. The central character is a beer-loving layabout who sees the Van Project as a big game, which he eventually tires of. The Rise and Fall of...
Published on 7 Sept. 2001 by G. Bowman

2.0 out of 5 stars The Van a story about a chip van
Tedious, I have given up three quarters through the book. So disappointed. I did not find it funny as some of the reviews do.
Published 14 months ago by Diana Gibbs

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good laugh, but not keen on the language, 6 April 2012
Mr. D. P. Moulton "Dave M" (Notts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Van (Paperback)
Very simple story, I did find some of it quite funny, but I am very uncomfortable with the foul language

5.0 out of 5 stars ITS GREAT, 27 Jun. 2000
This review is from: The Snapper (Paperback)
I think this book is amazing. I nearly fell off my chair reading it! Well done Mr Doyle, yet again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Snapper (Kindle Edition)
Very funny and touching

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 Dec. 2011
Josie-Jo (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snapper (Paperback)
Just wasn't for me. I don't like to criticize- that is too easy. I prefer to accept that we are all different & what suits one, may not be for another. However I could imagine it working as a film - for me the dialogue read like a script.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Van (Kindle Edition)
excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars yeah its funny but cleverly has a serious subject matter all wrapped ..., 3 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Snapper (Paperback)
yeah its funny but cleverly has a serious subject matter all wrapped around a down to earth family, they swear alot but i suppose that's reality. overall its a well written really good book, go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hillarious!, 16 Jun. 2001
This review is from: The Snapper (Paperback)
Roddy Doyle's humour is razor sharp - I found myself laughing at every page! Not only is this book a comic masterpeice it is also a moving portrayal of working-class, family life in a run-down part of Dublin. The well-meaning father, the stressed-out wife and the demanding kids orbit around the world of the heroine, Sharon Rabbitt and her 'out-of-wedlock' pregnancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real characters, 20 Feb. 2001
This review is from: The Snapper (Paperback)
I really love the way Roddy Doyle ,in this book, describes the thougtts and the feelings of every character.They are so well described that you have the impresssion that you are reading a story about a person that you know very well.This is the explication of their real being.

3.0 out of 5 stars does exactly what it says on the tin, 25 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Van (Paperback)
this is my 1st roddy doyle read its funny not hilarious but hey its a book i suppose your not meant to laugth your head off lol. its a working class book lots of poor language but as the main character jimmy says its a blast not a big one thougth.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Van is a story about two friends and a van., 9 Dec. 2000
This review is from: The Van (Paperback)
The Van is a story about two friends and their wacky adventure selling fish out of a van. Given the basic plot one would expect the van to be a very funny book. Well, yes and no. I did not appreciate the quality of humor in "The van". I thought it was very low brow and predictable. I really saw the jokes a chapter ahead of when they landed. The vocabulary in the book was about a fifth grade level. Which made this book very easy to understand and easy to get into. The characters in the book swore like drunken sailors. Every other word was mother this and freaking that. I enjoyed that the vocabulary and the bad language contrasted each other; I thought that worked out well. The ending was well written and I did not see it coming. Over the book is not a bad read. If you have some free time and you like reading about selling fish this is the book for you.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

The Snapper
The Snapper by Roddy Doyle (Paperback - 6 Jun. 1991)