Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 October 1998
This story of two men and a decrepit chip van is one of the funniest yet most moving books, I've ever read. It is one of the first books to make me cry. Excellent read.
on 25 February 2014
One of the funniest books I've ever read, and it manages depth of character too. The dialogue is spot on, there are some terrific set pieces and a very satisfying resolution. Just read it.
on 29 November 2012
the book was the corrected one but the version which i received was an old version and not the one shown as the picture in the preview
on 3 July 2010
Hilarious. The only book I've ever laughed out loud to. If you're Irish (especially Dublin) then you'll really appreciate this book!
on 24 April 2014
I HAD TO READ THIS FOR MY GROUP BOOK BUT I HAD READ IT YEARS AGO. IT WAS FULL OF FUN AND SADNESSQUITE A GOOD READ BUT NOT STAR..
on 24 March 2014
Raved about it, I have found it slow going and hope that once I get into the second half the promised hilarity will find me,
on 27 April 2014
This book was raved about on books and Authors BBC 4. I Couldn't like the characters and the plot and dialogue was for the most part unfunny.
on 4 September 2014
A very funny and good read whilst on holiday. This was my first Roddy Doyle book and I will be coming back for more.
on 25 May 2014
This Item Arrived very quickly and my father loved the book... Yes I would recommend to others ... Thank you !
on 18 December 2012
I was quite looking forward to this - book club recommendation, and I had heard about the author and this book, but never read any of his work.

I was immediately appalled by the constant use of expletives (usually the same one F***), not only in dialoge, which might be understandable, but also in narrative. I struggled to persevere, but eventually decided that I had better things to do with my time than this. Even apart from the offensive and repetitive expletives I found little description here and it reminded me of a group of 5th formers with no vocabulary, cynically constructing a "clever essay" and showing off how little they cared about literature and language.

Sorry, but there is so much good stuff out there to read, that this seems worthless to me.