5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny!
Having read Rachel's Holiday, Marian Keyes's latest book, I thought I should definitely read one of her earlier novels. I had been looking for a laugh-out-loud romantic comedy to read and Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married did not disappoint. What great novel! This book shouldn't be compared to Bridget Jones -- it shines its own light.
Lucy Sullivan has received the...
Published on 8 Nov 2000 by CoffeeGurl

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Chick-Lit' With a Difference
I’d read three novels by Marian Keyes before reading this one; “Watermelon”, “Sushi for Beginners” and “The Other Side of the Story”. I’ve also read her autobiographical scrapbook-of-events book, “Under the Duvet”. I’m very fond of Keyes’ style; I find it unique, warm and extremely funny. “Lucy...
Published on 16 Jan 2006 by Ms. A. Rowse

2.0 out of 5 stars Load of rubbish, 21 Feb 2006
The only reason I bothered reading the whole thing is because I HAVE to finish every book I start. I cant believe the reviews this book has had...its predictable and hardly funny and the protagonist is annoying and pathetic. I was SO disappointed I juat had to warn everyone not to waste their money on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is very slow to start off, 15 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married (Paperback)
I have not read any other Marian Keyes books, but I must say that this book would certainly not recommend them to me. Normally an avid reader of contemporary fiction, I have struggled with this book for a long time and am quite fed up with buying books only to find out that they do not live up to my expectations, and are a complete waste of money. Perhaps if I ever manage to finish this book I will write in and apologise for trashing it, we will see.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 8 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married (Paperback)
A dissapointing terrible waste of time. I didn't like any of the characters or find them at all believeable and found the plot stale and unexciting. I love the big non putdownable single woman novel scenario and this missed in the biggest way.

1.0 out of 5 stars You've read the title? You've read the book!, 29 Sep 2005
This was the first and definitely the last book I tried to read by Marianne Keyes. After 250 pages of whining and depression I gave up out of sheer boredom and frustration. There was no point in finishing it anyway as you guess from the very 1st chapter (or the title!) what will happen at the end.

Lucy Sullivan is simply the most miserable, pathetic, depressing and immature person appearing in print. Bridget Jones, though not perfect, IS funny, ditto Becky Bloomwood. You could believe that despite their imperfections they can be found attractive by nice men as Mark Darcy or Luke Brandon. Lucy Sullivan, attractive? I cannot help feeling sorry for her husband-to-be, though he gets what he deserves if he has fallen for the rude, repulsive and depressive Lucy.

I have the feeling the author couldn't made up her own mind when writing the book what it should be after all. Neither could I. The book takes itself too seriously for me to take it lightly and yet it has no weight or depth to treat it as one with some message or other. (And what the message could be anyway? That if you treat your friends and your husband to be as dirt then you'll get all you need to be happy at the end? Hardly!) There are commonplace situations, flat characters with no life in them. But the most serious failure of the book that -just like Lucy- it completely LACKS HUMOUR. If Ms Keyes would treat her characters with just a little shred of irony for the reader to feel it would be a bit more bearable. But of course irony, just like humour, is out of the question. A great pity.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, but can see what keyes is trying to get at, 18 July 2002
I found character of Lucy frustrating in that she was a) so damn horrible to Daniel and so immature about her mother, (she had a teenagers attitude towards her mother and shes meant to be 26)and b)That she let people like Gus and Karen walk all over her, Gus especially. I was also quite annoyed at the way the character of Megan was portrayed. I am from New Zealand , not Australia but have never known Australians to be stingy. Also the fact Megan grew up on a farm. WHY do authors from the Northern Hemisphere, when they have characters from the South Pacific assume that we all live on farms? Guess what, some New Zealanders and Australians DON'T!! (Really). Anyway when I reread the book, I think what Keyes is trying to say is that Lucy dreads ever being like her mother, yet ironically she was living exactly like her (Alcoholic lazy partner who spent all her money, constantly making excuses for him etc.)Both Lucy and her Mother manage to escape this, and their experiences in this book parallel each others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 4 May 2000
This review is from: Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married (Paperback)
Having read "Rachels Holiday" which I genuinely laughed out loud to on many occasions, I was eager to get my hands on another book by Marian Keyes this book being "Lucy Sullivan is getting maried". I found it a disappointing read and very surprised that the same author could have two books completley opposite to each other with regards to interesting, exciting, witty etc. I found the relationship between Lucy & Daniel very easy to foresee and the general storyline re. fortune teller and her predictions quite poor and in turn made it a very poor read for me. However I am not deterred I have just started a third book from Keyes "Watermelon" and hope that she can titilate my sences with this one - hopefully it will be a case of 2 out of 3 aint bad. To first time readers don't let this be the first book you read from Keyes or you may never read another !

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for depression, 21 Aug 2005
Typical Keyes again. Low selfesteem, depression... Lucy Sullivan could well be one og the Walsh girls.
The book actually inspired me to be depressed and go and buy lots of chocolate and rent a stupid film.
But okay, I cant deny anything Keyes writes is entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars really good, 11 July 2007
M. Burton (Essex) - See all my reviews
it started off slow at first but then it picked speed up and became quite good. It was a bit predictable that she got with Daniel but it was nice to see how they got together in the end. As for Karen I would have slapped her by now - her character annoyed me so much but it shows that Marian can make her characters come to life
definite recommendation

1.0 out of 5 stars hated it, 8 April 2008
C. Stirling "cat24" (ireland) - See all my reviews
hated the characters, such a weak storyline - just didnt have that wonderful Keyes wit, charm and storytelling that her later books have. Instead buy Watermelon, Rachel's Holiday or Last Chance Saloon.

Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married
Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes (Paperback - 3 Feb 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01