• Chloe

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2001
Chloe is another one of Freya North's female characters who discovers herself through travel and adventure. The problem with all of Freya's girls' is that Freya has to come along. The authors style of interrupting the flow of action with her own personal voice and observations can only be done by a true master without irritating, and as heavily as Ms North leans on Austin's stlye and perky wit, she just hasn't the talent t seem to pull it off successfully. Chloe is a whole lot more likeable that Sally, and being British myself, I enjoyed the tour of the United Kingdom, but Ms Norths female characters are too petty, and stupid to be anything less than a source of constant irritation. She's trying for sexy girl power, the sex IS pretty powerful, but Freya's girls, like Ms North as a writer, are in need of a good slap. Ms North, can write, there's no doubt about it, but I can't help wishing she'd change her stlye, simplify the lines of the novels and for God's sake let the characters play out their dramas without her smart alec remarks.
on 12 December 1999
I've read every one of Freya North's books and must say that nobody can relax and excite the mind quite like her. She is the first author I've read who actually talks to her characters directly and encourages them to divulge their inner most feelings to us. And it's great fun to read.
Chloe has to be my number one book. What a wonderful idea to have a heroine give up her dreadful job and appalling boyfriend and discover both herself and the four countries of the UK during the four seasons. Haven't we all wanted to do that at one time or other?
Freya North has a great eye for detail, whether describing a kiss, the ocean or pieces of polythene snagged in a tree - the world is a wondrous place, and when you finish one of her books it really is like losing a friend.
on 21 September 2008
It was OK. It took me 4 weeks to read because I wasn't that bothered - it was easy to put down. It's an interesting, original idea for a story, which I liked, but I wasn't taken in by the characters. I never quite decided whether I liked Chloe or found her too airy-fairy and would be irritating in real life. (actually, I think I've just decided.) Towards the end I just wanted to get it finished so I could read something else. I didn't dislike it; I wanted to find out what happened in the end, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
on 23 April 2000
Chloe's friends and family almost become your own as she embarks on her pre-planned journey. Her thoughts, descriptions and desires captured me in a way no other book has been able to do. You completely identify with her, even if you dont agree with her. You find yourself planning the journey with her, even becoming a part of Chloe. The only bad bit is that the end of the book...well...ends;leaving Chloe and William is as though you have lost a companion, though they made an impromptu re-appearance in Polly, which was almost like meeting up with old friends. The best thing is i have read Chloe 3 times now, and each time is as suprising and enthralling as the first. Thank you Freya for such good books, as an aspiring novelist you are inspiration toi us all!
on 3 September 1999
This book was a bit disappointing. I was recommended to read it by a friend ... I took it on holiday with me and managed to finish it in a week as it was un-put-down-able. But I found that Chloe talking to a postcard was a bit weird and her 'having' a man in every part of England (except when she bumped into Fraser who just happened to be gay) was just totally unbelievable! I mean, I can't even get one man where I live!!! It was quite sweet how she found her true love in the end, even though it was totally inevitable. A bit weak, but I am still intrigued to go and buy Polly and Sally.
on 2 May 2000
This was my first Freya North novel. I did enjoy the humour and the characters in the novel, but it was abit far fetched... However, it is well written and very humorous and I loved Chloe herself.
Does anyone in the world speak with a voice like Chloe's? I hope I never meet them. Her mix of wide-eyed ingenue and sex goddess of North London didn't wash with me I'm afraid. She comes across as a real simpleton in the way that she speaks and the way she acts, oozing naive charm left, right and centre. It made me want to beat her with a frying pan. I hated this book. I read it because I wanted some well written escapism and ended up with irritating rubbish.
on 16 May 2009
I read this book after seeing a review in a magazine. It's boring and i couldn't keep focused on it because nothing in it made me want to read on, the book focuses on two main characters Chloe and William and it's immediatley clear that by the end of the book they will meet and fall in love, how dull and predictable and it's not even a fun read. I prefer Melissa Hill's books, she always comes up with something that has many twists and never predictable. Also i recommend Jill Mansell, although it's obvious her main characters will get together, her subplots are always intriguing and the books are always witty and funny.
on 26 August 1999
I had enjoyed Polly so much that I decided to order Chloe and I am very glad I did. This book describes a young woman called Chloe who's parents are never about and forms a close bond with her godmother. Her godmother dies and leaves her a will, but stipulates that she has to visit the four countries of the United Kingdom in the four seasons of the year.
Chloe is a loveable character who you seem to bond with very quickly and the descriptions of the locals in each of the four countries she visits, is classic.
This book, is a brilliant combination of humour, passion, intrepidation and self discovery!
on 6 January 1999
All I could think of as I read this was what a clever idea for a story. I loved the eccentric characters and Chloe was a protagonist that anyone could relate to. The will, the letters all filled us with hope and good old fashioned curiosity. It was great to hear of William and Chloe again in Freya's other book Polly. Leaving them at the end of this book, Chloe, was like saying adios to old and good friends alike. It is a book that will warm the cogs of your heart and one that will linger in your memory. ENJOY!