on 31 March 2013
Terrific opening and within the first few pages I was engaging with the characters and looking forward to how they would develop. - and that was where I was disappointed. After a promising start the characters remain strictly 1 dimensional. As the central plot becomes ever less credible the characters reactions to it become increasingly wooden and rather than being able to empathise I just found them irritating. So overall this book was not to my taste however the author did show that he can spin a good yarn, at least in parts and I would be prepared to at least try some of his other titles.
on 7 February 2013
Good start but descends into a pale clive barker style scenario towards the end.

Pretty graphic in places and readable but little more than a potboiler juggling mysticism and cod psychology.

Worth it for eye popping opening though.
on 22 September 2005
The first chapter of this book will hook you on the storline, and the rest of the book will keep you hooked. As yet again Masterton delves in to the depts of horror.
This time a helicopter has crashed with a suprime court justice and his family inside, their bodies mutilated and their daughter missing. What happened?
This is what the insurance inverstigator must find out, but he closer he gets to the truth the closer he becomes to the Sleepless and their leader Mr Hilary.
on 15 May 1999
Masterton's mind must have worked overtime with this story line idea. From the first chapter to the last, you never want to put it down, although it is advisable when it gets dark! As you read, you can smell,feel and taste his work from the outset. The horror is true horror as I've never read before. A definate keepsake. Brilliant.
on 9 June 2012
This is my very first attempt at reading anything in the horror genre and as long as I manage a few hours sleep tonight I will definitely be buying a few more novels by this fantastic author!
I don't need to add anything more to the general description of this book as other reviewers have done a wonderful job previously and writing synopsis are not my strong suit but I do want to add what this story has done to my psychological wellbeing!
I don't think even in my wildest nightmares I could have scared myself more than in this spine chilling tale.
I don't know where such horrific stuff gets dreamt up. The gore is in glorious technicolour,smells conjoured up linger at the back of your throat making you long to brush your teeth. The visions of torture are so much more alive than any movie in 4D I have ever seen and has left me shaken to my core.

The mixture of psychological therapies(which are highly believable whether they are or not)described throughout the storyline,in conjunction with vivid visions of voodoo, have left me doubting what previous knowledge I thought I had on the subject.
A writer who is able to make his reader question themselves repeatedly over numerous subjects has hit the jackpot in my opinion.

Well done!
on 12 July 2014
I was a fan of Graham Masterton back in the last century (The Manitou, Devils of D Day, Black Angel etc.) so wanted to rediscover some of his work. Have to say I was a little disappointed with this one. I found the story dragged a bit was very gory and unpleasant in parts, without being truly 'horrific' or 'scary'. Unbelievable characters, especially the African American gangsters. On the whole quite forgettable!
on 3 March 2003
Right from the offset, masterton delivers a truly graphic and stomach churning novel, with a cunning plot, that will have gripped for hours. You must set aside at least a full day for this one, because once you pck it up you will find it impossible to put down. This is a must for Masterton fans.
on 16 January 2013
This book kept be absolutely gripped from start to finish; some of the more graphic descriptions even made me put the book down to have a breather!! The storyline was fascinating and the characters believable. I have read Graham Masterton before and have never been disappointed. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a bit of horror, gore and suspense.
on 18 August 2013
While I'm sure this is clever writing it was far too horrific for my liking and I didn't even make it half way through. I bought it because I'd read another of his books, Lady of Fortune, which I thoroughly enjoyed and missed once I'd finished. However 'Sleepless ...' is a very different kettle of fish!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2015
I HAVE READ GRAHAM MASTERTONS OTHER BOOKS AND FIND THEM BRILLIANT!THIS BOOK I FOUND TO BE SICKENING AND WONDER WHAT ON EARTH WAS GOING IN THE MIND OF THE AUTHOR.IF YOU WANT TO TO BE MADE TO FEEL ILL READ IT.I SKIPPED TO THE END AS MY STOMACHED COULD NOT COPE!