Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 April 2004
This book was recommended to me by a friend who received it as a Christmas gift. When I bought this book, I was going through a period of being very negative, both at work and at home. I was very cynical and didn't think that my life would change after reading one book ... how wrong I was. Dr Peale really puts life into perspective and makes you realise that there are no magic formulas but everything you need to be a positive person in right there in your head. There are lots of stories which lift you up and make you realise how lucky you are relative to others and they give you the confidence to believe in yourself and the confidence to change your life. He makes it very clear that if you want to change your life, it is up to YOU to change it - if you don't like something in your life the do something about it. He states lots of very simple and abvious things about life that are too easy to forget when you're in a rat race. At the end of each chapter he summarises the main learning points. He does talk about religion a bit, but this is not in any way preaching - he even says that you should take what you want from the comments about religion and ignore what you don't want. My attitude to life really has changed after reading this book (I can't believe I am writing this!) - I will not let my mind be polluted with negative thoughts, I love my job (the same job), I'm laughing and smiling at home and yes, I love life! If you want a more positive and happier life then BUY THIS BOOK!
on 12 June 1999
In 1990, this was just one of three great books that turned my life from a tradgedy to success. Back in 1990, I had a huge business that came crashing down. I was jobless and pennyless. Dr Peale's excellent book and a book that I had read many years before turned my life around. Within weeks, I had found a brand new opportunity and within months my income was at a all time personal high. The other two books? They were "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill and More Wealth without Risk" by Charles Givens. I obviously highly endorse all three. The priciples work. Please don't make the same mistake I did--read it and pack it away! Read the books, take good notes, apply and reread at once a year. It's very true that what you don't use, you'll lose. I know it happened to me.
on 16 October 1998
A wonderful book....You can open it to any page and get into it very quickly. Dr. Peale tells us all the things we need to do to acheive our heart's fondest desires. Though written more than 25 years ago, the advice and tools he offers are timeless. Start reading and you will be "hooked"! I loved this book..you will too...
on 16 March 2016
This is quite a famous book on positive thinking and takes a more philosophical approach to positivity, rather than a psychological one. The author argues that we should all change our attitude towards problems, and instead of dreading them and skirting around them, we should realise that problems are an important part of life that actually help mold us as human beings. He makes the point that if we need to do something very urgently, we always find the motivation and determination to solve this urgent problem, so why can’t we apply this same attitude to all obstacles.

The author stresses the importance of self-confidence and that if you can convince yourself you can do something, you really can do it, it’s the law of attraction, like attracting like. He says no matter how big some problems seem, every problem has it’s weak spot, you just need to find it, then work away at it, and that the human mind is so powerful it really can find the solution to every problem, providing we 100% want to find that solution.

Like many books on positivity, many of the points raised seem obvious, but it’s surprising how few of them we may actually follow due to negative conditioning. This is a great motivational book, it’s almost like getting a long pep talk from a motivational coach, and is definitely great for restoring anyone’s self-confidence and sense of belief in themselves.
on 2 June 2010
This is not the easiest positive thinking book to read but if you take the time to read it slowly and absorb the messages in the book then it is one of the most powerful and effective books you will ever read! The author preaches quite a lot (he is a preacher) and gives too many examples of instant miracles which was quite off putting for me. However, despite that this book had a profound effect on me and has changed my outlook both on the power of being able to do what I think I can and surprisingly also "connection" with God. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a religious book but the guy does make sense. If you read this book and really understand the messages then you will change your view on what you think you can do. Go on, see if you can astound yourself!!
on 3 March 2013
This is a great book. Other self help books have you believe that all you have to do is ask for what you want, believe and have faith, and that somehow all your dreams will come to you without you having to lift a finger. I'm just emerging from a period in my life that has been enormously challenging and find that I am stuck in relation to fulfilling the final step towards a brighter future. This book has motivated me and given me the confidence to believe in myself and most importantly to get to work and take action. I like the writing style and the author is a wise sage.
on 14 September 2014
I do like this book, it feels like a personal friend boosting my confidence a little every time I read it. I might've rejected it years ago because of the Christian element but actually it doesn't dominate at all and is played down. Swap the religious words with 'love' and you won't be repelled at all anyway. I would urge anyone who needs a bit of encouragement, uplifting, a reason to go on or just a friend without forking out on a personal trainer/psychologist to get this, especially on Kindle, which makes it a private relationship between you and Doc Norman.
on 14 February 2011
I THOROUGHLY LOVED THIS BOOK AND IT HAS HELPED ME A ENORMASLEY..I RECCOMMEND EVERYONE READ IT,IT WAS SO INSPIRING.DR PEALE HAS CHANGED MY LIFE.
on 2 September 2015
fabulous and amazing book for changing your thought pattern and going from negative to POSITIVE THINKING and very upliftting for the soul in many ways to hear of people's experience and how their lives have changed.
This is one of my first inspirational books! I read this many years ago when I was first learning about the power of positive thinking. I can honestly say that it inspired me and pointed me in the right direction for success and prosperity.