5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life!!
Published on 1 Mar. 2012 by TheNathanA

3.0 out of 5 stars This book did not revolutionize my life
I bought this book because that was exactly what I wanted to do - stop worrying and start living. However it did not really help me do that, I think because my problem is quite serious (I have an anxiety disorder) not because the book has no merit. If you are a chronic worrier or if you need a better work/life balance this book might well help you. It is packed full of...
Published on 14 Aug. 2006 by A. Cardellini

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life!!, 1 Mar. 2012
This review is from: How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development) (Paperback)
I first purchased this book a few months ago on a whim - I was feeling pretty down and felt I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders in worry. Just yesterday, I decided to have a look at How to Stop Worrying and Start Living properly, having seemingly "nothing" to do with my spare time - and how GREAT of a choice it was to read this book! I got so hooked that I finished it in one day!

The brilliant thing about this book, is that even though it may seem outdated by modern standards, and also Americanised, its contents are completely universal to all. In it, he breaks down the processes of how to tackle all different forms of worry, using several interesting short stories as examples to demonstrate his points throughout, then summarises the contents in a short description. Carnegie's down to earth manner of addressing you in this book makes his advice seem so familiar, and yet so astounding - it is as though what you are reading should already be evident it's that simple! But we all know that sometimes, we tend to forget even the simplest of things in life.

I can already feel a complete change in my physical and mental attitude towards life - my happiness, my self-esteem and my judgement of what is even deemed worthy to worry about, after just ONE day! You will soon realise that even the toughest of emotional upsets and worries can be overcome using the techniques in this book. You just have to apply them! This book will change your whole worldview, creating a happier and less tense life. I read all of the chapters in this book, and highlighted and annotated the most relevant and memorable parts that I can apply to my life. I intend to re-visit this book often, to keep it clearly in my mind. I cannot make it any clearer - BUY THIS BOOK NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful advice, 26 Jan. 2010
F. Marlow (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is for you if you feel you are the type of person who is not fully living in the present because you are anxious about the past and/or future. Perhaps you feel you are unlucky in life, are depressed or that life is not quite working out as well as you had wanted and are looking for some inspiration. Dale has an answer to all these problems, the delivery is quite old-fashioned but he uses wisdom passed down about life from years ago that people are still 'discovering today'. He really explains not only how to stop worrying but how to live your life more fully and happily no matter what life has thrown at you and to face the future without fear.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of life's little essentials!, 6 April 2009
A. Quickfall (England) - See all my reviews
After reaching a bit of a crossroads in life, and sick of life's woes getting me down, I searched for 'worry' and this little gem popped up. Based on real people's stories and full of inspirational quotes, it is full of what we should really already know but have so far failed to put into practice in real life. I find myself quoting from it on a daily basis.It really puts life into perspective and is now my handbook to life. It has inspired me to contact old friends with whom I had lost touch, stop stressing about the silly things and live each day to it's fullest. Since reading, I have taken the plunge on many life changing decisions and have stopped putting off living until tomorrow. I have booked holidays, had fun and appreciated life that little bit more. This book is a must to anyone who feels a little bit lost or a little too anxious and arenot really sure why. An essential read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Common Sense Advice, 18 Dec. 2011
Laura De Giorgio "hypnotherapist" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
In How To Stop Worrying and Start Living, Dale Carnegie shares practical tips to help people to stop worry and eliminate at least some types of depression.

The book begins with advice from the Bible "Have no thought for tomorrow", in a sense that one should focus on what one can do today - do the best that one can do now, and leave the rest to God. If we do the best we can do every moment of our lives, then there is no point in worrying about anything.

Here is a list of tips for a worry-free life, from this book, one can commit to live day by day:

Just for Today
I will be happy
I will try to adjust myself to what is.
I will take care of my body.
I will try to strengthen my mind by learning something new.
I will exercise my soul.
I will do something good for others.
I will be agreeable.
I will look as best as I can, dress as becoming as I can, act courteously, be liberal with praise, avoid criticizing and not try to regulate anyone (in other words "live - and let live")
I will try to live through this day only.
I will take half an hour to relax and I will think of God (or whatever to you stands for that which is greater your individual self), in order to get a better perspective on my life.
I will be unafraid to be happy, to enjoy my life, to love and to believe that those I love, love me.

Greater part of this book contains stories from the lives of people who developed all kinds of health problems from worrying, and who decided to change their ways, be grateful for what they have, do the best they can with what they have, and share their blessings with the world.

People worry for different reasons, and Dale Carnegie has compiled stories that relate to just about any kind of worry - worry due to genuine problems one has to deal with, worry due to imaginary problems that may or may not happen, worry and depression due to some tragic event in one's life.

Since we can focus our mind only one one thing at any given point in time, one can diminish worry by keeping oneself busy physically and mentally, engaged in some productive and constructive activity.

Some problems may be foreseen and of course when the person tends to encounter similar worrisome situation, one may brainstorm the possible solutions and pick what seems to best help solve the problem. And since it's hard to think of solution when one's mind is preoccupied with worrying, it is helpful considering the worst thing that can happen, accepting the worst case scenario, and then when one is at peace with it, contemplating workable ways on how can one improve on the situation.

Regardless of one's spiritual affiliation (or lack of it), it is much easier embracing uncertainty when one chooses to believe that even though one may not know what to do, there is a greater intelligence and power that has the solution to the challenge one is facing and is wiling and able to guide the individual - for some it may be God, for others it may be the power of one's subconscious (or superconscious) mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book is Like Compound-W for Worry Warts, 20 Nov. 2009
Dale Carnegie wrote some great books back in the 30's and 40's, and this book is one of them- Carnegie fans won't be disappointed.

The writing style is classic Carnegie. To put it simply, the guy just writes like he talks. This makes for a very friendly and easy to understand book, rather like a good friend giving you a piece of advice.

And a lot of advice he gives. The book is divided up into ten sections, each one tackling some aspect of worrying. I could give you a rundown of the topics, but you don't really need me to repeat the table on contents to decide if you want to read the book. Rather, let me just say that book covers just about every major "worry issue" that might be causing a troubled mind, such as your work, your finances, other people's criticisms- and them some.

While there are no earth-shattering, never-before-seen tips in the book, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend it to anyone who is looking to ease their mind a bit. That's because it does a GREAT job of conveying simple wisdom that really make you think good and hard about why you're worrying and if those things are really worth worrying about at all.

In short, its a bestseller because it makes a lot of sense and its advice can do a lot to re-frame your thinking about things. And if you can re-frame your thinking, well, you've about found the best "Compound-W" for worry warts. Readers who enjoyed this book might also enjoy "Finding Happiness in a Frustrating World".

4.0 out of 5 stars Great teachings, but a bit too much waffle, 20 Nov. 2010
This book is great. At the end there are some really personally applicable teachings. Like "live in day-tight compartments".

When you read this book the good thing is that (especially with me) I start making connections to the teaching and thinking "oh, i can do that."

The hardest bit is actually applying those teachings to your everyday life. Any of us can read a book, but for it to help us, application is the only thing that is going to change our current worry habits.

The flaw with the book is the fact that it waffles way too much about famous people in the past. I mean a few examples are fine, but remember we want a book at our own level. We are not all american presidents and famous leaders, most of us are just normal human beings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unconcerned, 2 Jan. 2008
I was worried that this book wouldn't turn up. But it did. I was also worried that it wouldn't work (I'm a very worried person). But it did. I was worried that it might cost too much but, in fact, it was excellent value for money. Before I read this book I would have been worried that nobody would read this review, but I think they will. And I'm also confident that they'll really like it and find it helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars All these years I thought I was living UNTIL......., 14 Mar. 2011
I bought this book for my wife, an incessant worrier, stressed out business owner, Mother of 2 young daughters and a slightly adolescent older husband.... She had so far failed to get it back out of my hands, I am well and truly hooked. What a brilliant writer this guy is! I thought his earlier book "How to win friends and influence people" was good, but this is a step up again! Its packed full of things you don't even realise are part of todays worry packed lifestyle yet follows through with instant and dramatic ways to change your thought processes and dump those worries. So go on, get the book, read it, think about it, read it again. Then put it into action and start to truly live the life you want!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop worrying start buying, 17 Dec. 2004
By A Customer
This is a superb book which for me had life changing consequences. The book may not change your life, but it's virtually guaranteed to change your perspective on it, which is the most important thing.
The book may be fifty odd years old, but that actually benefits the reader, in even todays world. It shows you how well the book was written and reminds you (as the author does) that life won't stop for anybody so make the most of it.
The points made by Mr Carnegie are simple and concise, and have timely quotations dropped in. He has done a great job in collating lots of small facts from a lot of different sources and putting them in a simple and enjoyable read covering not only the philosophy of worrying but also the health implications.
If, like me you are fed up of being classed as a "deep thinker" and have a tendancy to analyse everything to death then get this book. It will help you put the correct perspective on life and banish stupid worry forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will change you., 3 May 2011
Being a chronic worrier I was a little skeptical when I came across this book (the irony).

I wasn't a fan of his other more famous book "How to win friends and influence people" so I was very surprised to find after reading this one that this book was actually ... exceptional.

I loved that the book immediately provided (as the author suggested) life altering insights/suggestions within the first 2 chapters. One of the great things about this book is that it is so well researched and pragmatic and would be useful to everyone - let alone chronic worriers. Once you're past the first couple of chapters I think you'll find that this book is difficult to put down, because you'll want to absorb everything in it. (Or at least that was my experience).

To say this book would change your life in small but profound ways is understating its impact. This book has been one of the defining books that has significantly altered my character and quality of life. Since reading this book I have taken the lessons from it and applied it (somewhat sub-conciously) day-in day-out. I guess its true when they say the once a book has shaped your mind its impossible to revert back (in a good way).

The book is also really easy to digest, its like having a casual conversation with a wise and well traveled friend. I finished this book relatively quickly partly because the ideas were so exciting and life-altering. You will actually enjoy reading this book.

I keep one of the poems (that the author recommended) from the book mounted on my wall to remind myself of the lessons learned.

A definite book to buy for anyone with a personal development library, and an absolute must for worriers. For everyone else this book is still great value of money and will provide you with helpful advice and suggestions.

Personally I think everyone should own this book.

How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development)
How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development) by Dale Carnegie (Paperback - 5 April 1993)