5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful advice
Published on 26 Jan 2010 by F. Marlow

3.0 out of 5 stars This book did not revolutionize my life
I bought this book because that was exactly what I wanted to do - stop worrying and start living. However it did not really help me do that, I think because my problem is quite serious (I have an anxiety disorder) not because the book has no merit. If you are a chronic worrier or if you need a better work/life balance this book might well help you. It is packed full of...
Published on 14 Aug 2006 by A. Cardellini

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful advice, 26 Jan 2010
F. Marlow (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development) (Paperback)
This book is for you if you feel you are the type of person who is not fully living in the present because you are anxious about the past and/or future. Perhaps you feel you are unlucky in life, are depressed or that life is not quite working out as well as you had wanted and are looking for some inspiration. Dale has an answer to all these problems, the delivery is quite old-fashioned but he uses wisdom passed down about life from years ago that people are still 'discovering today'. He really explains not only how to stop worrying but how to live your life more fully and happily no matter what life has thrown at you and to face the future without fear.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of life's little essentials!, 6 April 2009
A. Quickfall (England) - See all my reviews
After reaching a bit of a crossroads in life, and sick of life's woes getting me down, I searched for 'worry' and this little gem popped up. Based on real people's stories and full of inspirational quotes, it is full of what we should really already know but have so far failed to put into practice in real life. I find myself quoting from it on a daily basis.It really puts life into perspective and is now my handbook to life. It has inspired me to contact old friends with whom I had lost touch, stop stressing about the silly things and live each day to it's fullest. Since reading, I have taken the plunge on many life changing decisions and have stopped putting off living until tomorrow. I have booked holidays, had fun and appreciated life that little bit more. This book is a must to anyone who feels a little bit lost or a little too anxious and arenot really sure why. An essential read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book is Like Compound-W for Worry Warts, 20 Nov 2009
Dale Carnegie wrote some great books back in the 30's and 40's, and this book is one of them- Carnegie fans won't be disappointed.

The writing style is classic Carnegie. To put it simply, the guy just writes like he talks. This makes for a very friendly and easy to understand book, rather like a good friend giving you a piece of advice.

And a lot of advice he gives. The book is divided up into ten sections, each one tackling some aspect of worrying. I could give you a rundown of the topics, but you don't really need me to repeat the table on contents to decide if you want to read the book. Rather, let me just say that book covers just about every major "worry issue" that might be causing a troubled mind, such as your work, your finances, other people's criticisms- and them some.

While there are no earth-shattering, never-before-seen tips in the book, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend it to anyone who is looking to ease their mind a bit. That's because it does a GREAT job of conveying simple wisdom that really make you think good and hard about why you're worrying and if those things are really worth worrying about at all.

In short, its a bestseller because it makes a lot of sense and its advice can do a lot to re-frame your thinking about things. And if you can re-frame your thinking, well, you've about found the best "Compound-W" for worry warts. Readers who enjoyed this book might also enjoy "Finding Happiness in a Frustrating World".

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life!!, 1 Mar 2012
I first purchased this book a few months ago on a whim - I was feeling pretty down and felt I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders in worry. Just yesterday, I decided to have a look at How to Stop Worrying and Start Living properly, having seemingly "nothing" to do with my spare time - and how GREAT of a choice it was to read this book! I got so hooked that I finished it in one day!

The brilliant thing about this book, is that even though it may seem outdated by modern standards, and also Americanised, its contents are completely universal to all. In it, he breaks down the processes of how to tackle all different forms of worry, using several interesting short stories as examples to demonstrate his points throughout, then summarises the contents in a short description. Carnegie's down to earth manner of addressing you in this book makes his advice seem so familiar, and yet so astounding - it is as though what you are reading should already be evident it's that simple! But we all know that sometimes, we tend to forget even the simplest of things in life.

I can already feel a complete change in my physical and mental attitude towards life - my happiness, my self-esteem and my judgement of what is even deemed worthy to worry about, after just ONE day! You will soon realise that even the toughest of emotional upsets and worries can be overcome using the techniques in this book. You just have to apply them! This book will change your whole worldview, creating a happier and less tense life. I read all of the chapters in this book, and highlighted and annotated the most relevant and memorable parts that I can apply to my life. I intend to re-visit this book often, to keep it clearly in my mind. I cannot make it any clearer - BUY THIS BOOK NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unconcerned, 2 Jan 2008
I was worried that this book wouldn't turn up. But it did. I was also worried that it wouldn't work (I'm a very worried person). But it did. I was worried that it might cost too much but, in fact, it was excellent value for money. Before I read this book I would have been worried that nobody would read this review, but I think they will. And I'm also confident that they'll really like it and find it helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most probably saved my life., 22 Mar 2012
After a series of personal difficulties, I went to my GP for sleeping pills and anti-depressants. My GP declined to give me these and told me to buy this book instead. Less than impressed with my GP's advice, I bought it anyway. I read it cover to cover in a matter of days. It's clear, concise, factual and is backed up with case study upon case study upon case study. The advice it gives makes perfect sense. Unlike other 'self help' books, it's not full of 'wishy washy' spiritual blurb - it's common sense. The book is a little dated but then it was written in the fifties and there are a few religious tones here and there but don't let that deter you. The author gives excellent, practical steps on how to manage your stress and worries...and how to eliminate them completely. Since reading this book, I now sleep at night, I stop worrying about things and I am slowly turning my life around. I can't praise this book enough. If you buy one book in your life, make it this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great teachings, but a bit too much waffle, 20 Nov 2010
This book is great. At the end there are some really personally applicable teachings. Like "live in day-tight compartments".

When you read this book the good thing is that (especially with me) I start making connections to the teaching and thinking "oh, i can do that."

The hardest bit is actually applying those teachings to your everyday life. Any of us can read a book, but for it to help us, application is the only thing that is going to change our current worry habits.

The flaw with the book is the fact that it waffles way too much about famous people in the past. I mean a few examples are fine, but remember we want a book at our own level. We are not all american presidents and famous leaders, most of us are just normal human beings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket., 15 Nov 2010
Being only a teenager, I shouldn't personally suffer from worry issues, despite the odd case with exams etc. etc.
However, I'll admit I do worry about what others think of me - and although this book was designed to be all about that specific area, it helped me tons with the image of myself and how confident I feel inside.

So I might be shy, and I might still worry about criticism.
But at least, through this book, I'm learning to deal with it.
An overall great and useful read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds us of what we should already know, 19 Sep 2002
Mr. J. Walmsley "The Finch" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This book is not about providing the reader with ground breaking ideas that involve massive leaps of faith to follow. Positive thinking is not a religion. Instead it makes you realise things that deep down you already know. For example how many of us think that we can change the past? Not many I would assume, yet people still often act as if worrying about a past event is of some use. A quick read of this book and you will hopefully come to realise the foolishness of such actions and change the way you look at things. I now find myself quoting sayings from this book such as "Don't try and saw sawdust" where I would normally have regressed to worrying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, 26 July 2008
I read this book for the first time in 1990 and it changed my life.

I was one of those young people too focused on their problems (mainly: unrequited love, perhaps the biggest tragedy of them all at that age) to look at how many blessings they have, how many reasons to rejoice, at what a beautiful gift every day is.

I can honestly say that I have never forgot the lesson and the new thinking sparkled by this book has slowly but surely changed my life for the best.

Dale Carnegie has an unassuming, simple, candid way of writing which goes straight to your heart. Nothing of what he says is "new" (no one ever writes anything "new"), but his way to really speak to the heart of the reader is unique in my entire reading experience.

How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development)
How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development) by Dale Carnegie (Paperback - 5 April 1993)
6.29