Format: PaperbackChange

on 10 August 2010
An interesting read based on Christian faith. I believe the book helps those who already have some basic Christian beliefs. It helps to focus on particular Bible verses which promote positive thinking. It also gives numerous examples which reinforce the power of prayer. I found it an uplifting book with guidance to developing a positive attitude and confidence.It is a book that one can read random chapters of at any time.
on 4 December 2009
It's such a simple and effective concept, that positive thinking creates a positive life, yet hard to do at times- which is a good reason alone to read this book.

Most everything we accomplish each day starts out as a thought. Thoughts flash across our minds each day, all day long, and directly influence how we feel and what we do. So, if you spend your day thinking about negative things, expect to feel bad. On the other hand, if you spend your day concentrating on positive things, good things will happen. And that's basically the purposeand premise of this book- to change your thinking for the better, which in turn will influences your life. The book will "reset your sights" so to speak.

Each chapter of the book tackles important life issues, such as worrying, creating happiness, having energy, etc. Examples of the principles abound, and each chapter ends with a nice summary.

An inspiring and entertaining read, I recommend this book to anyone who needs a little nudge in the direction of positive thinking. Know though, that there is a definite religious tone throughout the book, which could bother some. Those looking for something a little more in the physical rather than cognitive realm to pick you up, might be better off with a book like Exercise Beats Depression.
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2011
I bought this book for three reasons. The first reason is because it featured in '50 self-help classics' by Tom Butler-Bowdon and having read many self-help books which all emphasise the importance of positive thinking, I was interested in reading one of the most famous and best-selling books on the topic.

The second reason is because I watched a documentary on the billionaire Donald Trump and discovered that Norman Vincent Peale was actually his preacher in New York!

The final reason which persuaded me to finally buy the book is when I watched another documentary, a BBC one, called 'the American Dream.' A priest gave an interview for the documentary explaining how the principles in the book had inspired him to achieve an olympic medal, I think it was for pole vaulting, but I cannot remember for sure!

In terms of the positive thinking aspects of the book, I did not really learn anything that was of any significant difference from what I had already learnt from other self-help books. The one way in which the book did help me however was by helping me to re-discover my faith.

The author of the book was a preacher and he often cites bible passages which he recommends that people memorise, passages such as: 'I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me' and 'according to your faith be it unto you.' I am usually very sceptical and reluctant to try out exercises such as these which are proposed in self-help books (which I suppose defeats the purpose of reading them!) but I gave it a shot and it has really helped me.

I use to go to church regularly but limited my worship to the church service. It wasn't until I read this book that I realised faith could be applied on a daily basis and to anything. I now use some of those recommended verses to empower my thinking and it has helped me not only in my studies but in my physical exercise too. I have definitely noticed an increase in performance and I feel less stressed. The book actually inspired me to buy a copy of the bible again after I gave my last one away. I had never really thought of the bible as a self-help book before but that's exactly what it is and there are some really great lessons and verses in there which can benefit anyone, regardless of their beliefs.

If you don't believe in God then this book probably isn't for you due to the heavy religious content but some people prefer to think of it as a 'power of the universe' or 'flow'. Either way positive thinking is a sound concept. Gandhi said 'if you can change your thoughts, you can change the world.' I use to be very negative and pessimistic but I have managed to re-condition my mind to thinking more optimistically through reading books like this and it has definitely changed my life for the better.
11 comment13 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2011
I bought this book after i read some quotes from the author, Normal V Peale does come out with some nice little quotes from time to time but this book is a dishappoinment.

Firstly, if you're a non-christian you wont appreciate this book because its basicly a sermon. Although im a Christian myself Mr Peales idea of helping someone is putting his hand on their head, feeling the energy from God and praying "Dear Jesus..." (he does this many times in the book to people he claims he's helped. Oh, yes, another thing is the people he mentions dont have names. It's always "a man i met", "a prominent scientist" or "an influential man"... i cant help thinking that these claims are unfounded and hard to substantiate.

Secondly, littered throughout the book are things like "you live in America, the greatest country in the world... another reason to be happy" and "no one abhors communism more than i do..." - although the mans entitles to his own opinion, as a religios teacher surely he should be neutral in world affairs and rely on God?

I got 20 pages in, closed the book and dropped it into my local charity shop.
44 comments27 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2000
I heard about this book on the radio. Since then I have recommended it to several people. And I am about to buy another copy for a relative. The audio is clear and deals with everyday life. It has helped me think about life in a different way. I unconditionally recommend the book/audio
on 6 March 1999
The best thing you will ever do in life is to read this book.I read it when I was a clild of 12 years old, had I not I do not know where I would be today. I am now 30 and saw somebody I loved go through realy bad times. I gave it to her for a christmas present. Now she laughts again, when I was certain all was gone. The are no word to express my thanks. read it .If you see somebody in need give it.
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2010
After already buying two copies of what turned out to be a miniature version of this book (from the French Amazon site) I bought two copies of this one from UK Amazon, only to find that it does not have as many pages as my original copy (bought in USA and which has smaller print so quite a big difference in the amount of pages). I am left wondering if some things have been left out? (I was giving them as a presents so did not have time to check). It is wonderful book though and hopefully the main messages are still there.
On my journey to enriching my life, I came across Peale's the power of positive thinking as I found that I had been stuck in a 'belief system' of holding on to the daily stresses of life which many of us face in regards to work, taking care of the family, relationships studying or within ourselves. Having a profound effect on us that we may beginning to expect the worst or simply harbour a negative vide.

Although we don't have control over what happens in our life's, our thinking which becomes and extension of how we feel and sometimes a result in our actions, must be trained if we want a positive result 'to be happier and healthier they need a renewing of there minds, that is change in the pattern of thoughts' - Peale

Peale addresses important issues in each chapter such as believing in yourself, expecting the best and worrying. He uses a simple style of repetitive writing to manifest positive thinking, which hammers home. There are a mix of quotations from the bible, which are used as affirmations as a reminder planting the seed of positivity. Although I am not a Christian I was able to identify with understanding. Whatever your faith or not, these points can be easily adapted to suit you individually.

I recommend this book to anyone that is on the road to limitless living!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 1999
Although only 50 mins long ,the tape summarises the kepoints of the book which I feel must be read first. Useful for listening to in the car!
on 10 September 2010
I don't usually do reviews on books i have purchased from Amazon but i felt the need to put pen to paper (so to speak) about this book.

I was looking for some positive thinking and inspiration tips and this book seemed to have all that and more. Unfortunately, when i started to read it i discovered that really it should be titled as a book about God and reglious beliefs.

Whilst i am Catholic and enjoy my strong sense of belief and faith, i found this book to be a little on the 'ramming down your throat' side. The author is obviously a very very strong believer in faith and feels that God has the answers to all our problems. Whilst i don't doubt that he has, i did not buy this book to for that purpose. Otherwise i would have bought a copy of the Catholic Bible.

Unless you want your faith in God renewed, i would not recommend purchasing this book for the use of increasing your positive thinking resources.
33 comments18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse