5.0 out of 5 stars Positive Thinking = Positive Life
It's such a simple and effective concept, that positive thinking creates a positive life, yet hard to do at times- which is a good reason alone to read this book.

Published on 4 Dec 2009 by Sarah

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd be more positive if I'd saved my money!!
I liked the idea of the book but if you aren't religious this book is worthless. I didn't get past the first chapter before giving up.
Published 8 months ago by Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive Thinking = Positive Life, 4 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Power Of Positive Thinking (Paperback)

Most everything we accomplish each day starts out as a thought. Thoughts flash across our minds each day, all day long, and directly influence how we feel and what we do. So, if you spend your day thinking about negative things, expect to feel bad. On the other hand, if you spend your day concentrating on positive things, good things will happen. And that's basically the purposeand premise of this book- to change your thinking for the better, which in turn will influences your life. The book will "reset your sights" so to speak.

Each chapter of the book tackles important life issues, such as worrying, creating happiness, having energy, etc. Examples of the principles abound, and each chapter ends with a nice summary.

An inspiring and entertaining read, I recommend this book to anyone who needs a little nudge in the direction of positive thinking. Know though, that there is a definite religious tone throughout the book, which could bother some. Those looking for something a little more in the physical rather than cognitive realm to pick you up, might be better off with a book like Exercise Beats Depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER, 6 Mar 1999
By A Customer
The best thing you will ever do in life is to read this book.I read it when I was a clild of 12 years old, had I not I do not know where I would be today. I am now 30 and saw somebody I loved go through realy bad times. I gave it to her for a christmas present. Now she laughts again, when I was certain all was gone. The are no word to express my thanks. read it .If you see somebody in need give it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to dip into, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Power Of Positive Thinking (Paperback)
An interesting read based on Christian faith. I believe the book helps those who already have some basic Christian beliefs. It helps to focus on particular Bible verses which promote positive thinking. It also gives numerous examples which reinforce the power of prayer. I found it an uplifting book with guidance to developing a positive attitude and confidence.It is a book that one can read random chapters of at any time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible! Monumental influence to my life, 4 April 2000
I heard about this book on the radio. Since then I have recommended it to several people. And I am about to buy another copy for a relative. The audio is clear and deals with everyday life. It has helped me think about life in a different way. I unconditionally recommend the book/audio

5.0 out of 5 stars This book literally turns failure into success., 19 Jan 1997
By A Customer
Norman Vincent Peale virtually coined the phrase "positive thinking" which he used as a synonym for faith and for the power of belief. In friendly, down-to-earth style, and with a sincerity that makes the pages glow, the author shows how to triumph over self-doubt, fear, and illness, but doesn't stop there. He goes on to show how anyone in any circumstances can achieve anything to which they aspire -- whether health, longevity, business success -- or all three! Peale, by the way, "proved his pudding" by himself becoming an eminently respected public figure, living to the age of 92, and achieving multi-millionaire status.This book has helped countless numbers of people achieve their dreams.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd be more positive if I'd saved my money!!, 25 July 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Peale's classic still has a message to deliver, 11 Dec 2006
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you are looking for a guide to faith-based self-improvement, this book is, well, the bible. In one of the earliest contemporary self-help books, famed clergyman Norman Vincent Peale explains how you can overcome any obstacle, internal or external, through the dynamic combination of the "science of faith" with psychological counseling and modern medicine. He teaches you how to banish the negative thoughts that cause fear and failure, and replace them with "the power of positive thinking." In this warm, faith-based book, first published 1952, he teaches readers his approach to solving problems and accepting yourself. He advocates using the New Testament and prayer to attain peace, happiness, love and success. The catch is, you must be one of the faithful to take full advantage of Peale's Christian teachings. His classic bestseller is more than a warm, if slightly quaint, self-help book. It's a cultural icon, filled with old-time religion and practical examples. We recommend it as a touchstone in this genre. If you want to walk this path, Peale got here first. In fact, many of today's self-development bestsellers have their roots in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful reminder of positive thinking techniques, 17 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Although only 50 mins long ,the tape summarises the kepoints of the book which I feel must be read first. Useful for listening to in the car!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me to re-discover my faith, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Power Of Positive Thinking (Paperback)
I bought this book for three reasons. The first reason is because it featured in '50 self-help classics' by Tom Butler-Bowdon and having read many self-help books which all emphasise the importance of positive thinking, I was interested in reading one of the most famous and best-selling books on the topic.

The second reason is because I watched a documentary on the billionaire Donald Trump and discovered that Norman Vincent Peale was actually his preacher in New York!

The final reason which persuaded me to finally buy the book is when I watched another documentary, a BBC one, called 'the American Dream.' A priest gave an interview for the documentary explaining how the principles in the book had inspired him to achieve an olympic medal, I think it was for pole vaulting, but I cannot remember for sure!

In terms of the positive thinking aspects of the book, I did not really learn anything that was of any significant difference from what I had already learnt from other self-help books. The one way in which the book did help me however was by helping me to re-discover my faith.

The author of the book was a preacher and he often cites bible passages which he recommends that people memorise, passages such as: 'I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me' and 'according to your faith be it unto you.' I am usually very sceptical and reluctant to try out exercises such as these which are proposed in self-help books (which I suppose defeats the purpose of reading them!) but I gave it a shot and it has really helped me.

I use to go to church regularly but limited my worship to the church service. It wasn't until I read this book that I realised faith could be applied on a daily basis and to anything. I now use some of those recommended verses to empower my thinking and it has helped me not only in my studies but in my physical exercise too. I have definitely noticed an increase in performance and I feel less stressed. The book actually inspired me to buy a copy of the bible again after I gave my last one away. I had never really thought of the bible as a self-help book before but that's exactly what it is and there are some really great lessons and verses in there which can benefit anyone, regardless of their beliefs.

If you don't believe in God then this book probably isn't for you due to the heavy religious content but some people prefer to think of it as a 'power of the universe' or 'flow'. Either way positive thinking is a sound concept. Gandhi said 'if you can change your thoughts, you can change the world.' I use to be very negative and pessimistic but I have managed to re-condition my mind to thinking more optimistically through reading books like this and it has definitely changed my life for the better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Feb 2009
Mr. L. South (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
From the description of the book it wasn't clear exactly how the author planned to persuade you think more positively. After getting a few chapters in I was surprised that the book has religious overtones. Once I got to the point where religious mantras were being used I stopped listening. I'm not a religious person and have no interest in this sort of thing so I feel I've wasted a lot of money on this cd. If you are open to Christian teachings then I'm sure it's great but if not then do not buy this book.

ARRAY(0xad0de384)

The Power Of Positive Thinking
The Power Of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale (Paperback - 21 May 1990)
6.29