Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 October 2009
The Good Study Guide

Reading parts of this book at certain intervals of my study has greatly inhanced my studying. It is a very staight forward read and puts complicated issuses in simple and understandable format.

When I first started the OU did not know how to write an essay and found it very hard to write anything. Now reading though The Good Study Guide I am starting to grasp what is required in writing a good essay, I am also learning how to manage my studies. This book has great ideas on all aspects of studying.

I recommend this book to all student
on 31 October 2010
Does what it says, literally!

Loads of helpfull tit bits, I've been away from study for over 20years, and am dipping in and out this book constantly for help(slowing down a bit though)

Worth purchaseing, especially if you have no idea and needing direction
on 11 October 2011
Got this recently as a returner to study. Very clear layout and easy to read. Great to dip into the various chapters as and when needed. Some great tips on taking notes etc, you think you know how and then he comes up with something you hadn't thought of! A good book to keep on the bookshelf as you never know when you or a family member will need it!
If you left school with no qualifications and are an access student, distance learner, and mature student - then this book is for you.

Someone said in a previous review "do yourself a favour and buy the Study Skills, Essay Writing for University: The Essential Guide for Writing First Class Essays in Under 24 Hours".

I think that is unfair to say, as they are completely different books. As the title says "Study Skills, Essay Writing for University: The Essential Guide for Writing First Class Essays in Under 24 Hours", is more focused towards all the skills involving writing a good Essay - I think this book is the next level up, after you've learned the basics.

What about students who don't know how to manage there time effectively, use a word processor, or take basic notes properly, let alone 'gutting a book' to find the thesis, and knowing how to structure an Essay in 24 hours?

Why run before you can crawl?

Remember: You need to learn how take basic notes, and learn what a thesis is, before learning how to write an Essay!

The Good Study Guide on the other hand, is a basic guide to studies - it's like your own personal tutor, with plenty of activities to do from start to finish. The activities help you get used to studying at higher education level

If you need a book to help you learn basic skills, then I advise anyone to buy this book.
on 24 June 2012
The Good Study Guide. I purchased this at the start of my OU course from Amazon.
Anyone buying this try to appreciate what it is saying. At the start of my course I felt this was extra reading I could do without. . . Wrong! It is a great help, you don't use it as any other book. . pick sections relating to your assignment it is a help! I only realised how good it was half way through my course. . .don't make my mistake use it and read it.
on 11 October 2011
Would recommend for any student, has saved me alot of time with note taking and reading techniques. I feel confident with producing essays as i feel i have a better understanding of structure as well as which content to use. Great study guide :-)
on 12 February 2011
A must for any student, dont do what I did and leave it until I was well into my course before purchasing - I wish I had bought it sooner! It really was helpful and easy to read.
on 7 October 2011
I can tell by just randomly flicking through this book that it's chock full of great information, I've read random pages and realised that studying needn't be hard with this book in my arsenal. It's easy to use and you have a choice on how to use it; you can read from page to page, read the hints and tips or look at the summaries which are all clearly labelled for easier accessibility , this allows you to decide in how much depth you want to get into. Well recommended.
on 22 October 2011
Fantastic book,easy to read, good value for money, great help with my studies. I would recommend it to anyone who is undertaling a study course.
on 12 February 2010
Just started reading this book as part of an OU course but find it very easy to access and comprehend. Excellent value.