5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for people new to study
Published on 21 Aug. 2006 by Ms. C. M. Bass

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs improvement
I felt that there was too much to read and not enough diagrams and tasks and the layout could have been designed more creatively to keep the reader's comcemtraton more.
Published on 12 Oct. 2008 by uzma2118

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for people new to study, 21 Aug. 2006
Ms. C. M. Bass (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
I ordered this book as part of a Geosciences degree though the OU that I am currently about to start. My degree will involve quite an advanced level of maths. As I have never been particulary good at maths, I thought that this book may prepare me. Having worked though the maths section at the back of the book, I have gained great confidence in maths and felt I learnt more from the book than I ever learnt at school or college. It is well explained and very easy to follow. The questions that it sets enables you to practice and test what you have learnt. It gives a broad understanding of all the main mathimatical areas e.g. possitve and negative numbers, fractions, graphs, powers, square roots and algebra. This is a must read for any student wanting to study a maths based subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tips on note taking!, 10 Jan. 2001
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
I sent this as part of a birthday present to one of my nieces who will go to University in 2001. She writes: "Thank you very much for the fantastic book you sent me. The book has already proved very useful - I started to read the sections on revision skills and how to read and make notes effectively as I have A-level module exams soon. The approach it suggested to note-making made me think about what I was doing and I decided I could be using my time better. As a result, I tried a different method of making my notes and because I had to think to make them, I found I knew them without having to sit and consciously learn them. For the first time in the whole of my A-level course, I now understand capacitors and have found I am able to answer questions on them correctly! If the rest of the book proves as useful as these two sections, my life will be a lot easier!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its science, maths and essays rolled into one!, 17 May 2009
The Grifster (Warrington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
I found this book really helpful as a mature student going back to studying.The mathematics guide was really helpful as I started off studying G.C.S.E. maths. The chapter on assignments helped with essay writing as a beginner and gave me the motivation to manage coursework during the access course I had undertaken right up to my degree. There's also a great chapter about observing and experimenting which helped a great deal during human physiology G.C.S.E. and let me explore how to write and think about science assignment during the access course. I also found that I could discuss with my teenage sons how to write up experiments in class and where they could gain extra marks. Plus the chapter about note writing gave me little hints during my degree course in order to organise and learn new ways to write notes down quickly and understand what it meant!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!!, 5 May 2011
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
Honestly, one of the best books I've ever read.
This book is sooo damn helpful it's unreal. Just really makes you realise how easy and fun studying can be. Even if your not doing science, the first 3 chapters of this book is for everyone. Really makes me think if I had this doing my GCSE's then I would have nailed them all! (Bar welsh) !! I bought this as a preparation for Exploring Science S104 with the Open University, and it's really helped. A 5 year old could learn from this as it's written very well! Awesome book, won't ever get rid of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for returners to education after a long break, 6 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
I hadn't studied for years and was very worried about how I would cope. This book showed me not only a reminder how to study but to study so much better than when I was at school. I'd found school hard work if I'd had read this book I'm sure I would have coped much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs improvement, 12 Oct. 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful for biology students, 14 Jan. 2013
M. Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
I bought this before doing an open university biology module. It seems to be a lot more useful for physics and chemistry and doesn't seem to have very much of any use for me. The other good study guides, - for social sciences and the humanities are much better than this one. A bit of a disappointment for my needs :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant book!, 14 Nov. 2006
Ms. J. Lueders (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
This book transformed things for me, i am so grateful to have come across it, its a very helpful book - especially if you haven't been studying for a while. This book helped me organise and structure my time so well. I highly highly recommend this book. Life saver!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Preparation for Science study., 19 April 2011
J de Klerk (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
This book is a must read (study) for students to prepare themselves for study at university level. This book, if used correctly, will help the student to study more effectively. The book is not a handbook on a specific scientific course but is a guide on how to study the sciences more effectively and be able to do assignments/ essays in a structured way. It also have a maths help section to brush up on maths skills if needed.
The book can be used in preparing for study before the start of a course and then as a reference during the course. I would recommend it to any student that are thinking of studying sciences. Mature students that have not studied for some time should study this book before commencing their studies and it will also help them to get their maths up to speed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful aid, 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Sciences Good Study Guide (Paperback)
Recommended by Open University for study. Useful chapters and reference guide. I expect I will find it useful when preping for exams and writing marked assignements. Gave useful advice on writing notes on study material.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Sciences Good Study Guide
The Sciences Good Study Guide by Alice Peasgood (Paperback - 1 Dec. 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01