on 15 November 2009
This is a really interesting journey into prime numbers, Marcus du Sautoy always makes it interesting and with the aid of some superb CGIs, it is well presented. As a lover of mathematics with still only a basic grasp of most ideas, I found this quite easy to follow - yet stimulating! Despite the cost, it is well worth having in your collection...recommended viewing! Also worth getting is 'The Story of Maths', also by Marcus and available from Amazon.
on 3 February 2010
I really enjoyed this dvd, and bought it with the intention of reviewing it for my maths degree class. Marcus de Sortoy yet again delivers the maths in this DVD in an interesting and easy-to-understand way, with some really good imagery to help keep the viewers attention. it would have been accessible to any interested adult who understood what a prime number is, but was all the more interesting for me due to the course i a on. however, it also gave tantalising glimpses into areas of maths which i would now love to investigate! the dvd comes in the format of three episodes, which also enables viewing to be broken up into smaller chunks - a useful feature!
on 14 July 2010
This video tells the story of the Riemann hypthesis (all true zeroes of the Riemann Zeta function have real part 1/2). It starts with Erathosthenes' beautiful proof and goes on in the entire story. Then we go to Gauss with his guess as a 14-year old of the Li(n) limit for pi(n) (the number of primes smaller than n). The we come to Riemann with the "invention" of the complex zeta function and we go further with the other key players : Turing, Montgommery etc.. This viedo has far less detail than the book but it is far easier to digest too. It only takes two hours to watch the full video. For those in love with math a definitely recommended watch.
on 8 February 2014
I am a bit disappointed with this DVD as I wished to learn more about mathematics. To understand what was being presented one would need some advanced tuition not available to the ordinary person. What I did gain was more about the history of the great mathematicians. A pity, because I am in need of mental stimulation and this did not meet my need. If someone is sufficiently advanced in mathematics this would probably be very interesting to them.
on 2 June 2013
A little difficult to follow in places and some equations were not explained well (if at all). The 3rd episode was extremely short. The documentary makers could have spent alot more time on code breaking, WWII and the first computing. Bletchley Park and Alan Turing barely got more than mention. some of the interviews were abit laborious.
on 24 May 2013
3 25 minute episodes make 75 minutes not 90. 3 minutes is spent on recaps of previous episodes. The leitmotif is repeated continuously leaving about 30 minutes of info - that is interesting, but costs about 45p per minute.
on 4 April 2013
An excellent book and very interesting. I would certainly recommend this book as it is a very good read. A good buy.
on 23 February 2010
I enjoyed this video. I bought it after reading "music of the primes" which is the book of the same titleThe Music of the Primes: Why an Unsolved Problem in Mathematics Matters. Obviously the book contains more content but there are some nice graphics such as the Riemann Zeta function. It is expensive though so only 3 stars overall.
on 17 November 2015
Got this as a gift and not yet seen it myself but I have read the book which was fascinating.
on 17 September 2014