5.0 out of 5 stars Great for someone returning to study after a long break
It's over 20 years since I did any sort of formal study - and that was in the sciences. So having decided to take the plunge into a full Open University arts module in February 2014 I thought this might be the ideal purchase. And so far it has been a huge help.
Published 7 months ago by weeman56

3.0 out of 5 stars The Arts Good Study Guide - fit for purpose?
Published on 7 Oct 2009 by C. J. Pascall

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for someone returning to study after a long break, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
There is a wealth of information on every aspect of study. I have found the chapters on reading, note-taking and writing particularly useful but there is valuable advice in every chapter. The practical exercises have also been most helpful. But as the authors say in their preface: "It is not a source of quick fixes and instant remedies. It assumes a willingness to invest time in working on exercises and reflecting on them."
For me it has been an very worthwhile purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference Guide, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
I purchased this book as it was recommended by one of the tutors from The Open University. After reading the reviews on Amazon, I decided to buy my own rather than borrow one as I prefer to have one at hand when I want to refer back to it and I can mark pages that I find most useful.
Whether you decide to purchase or borrow one, it is definitely one to have while studying within this specific area of The Open University.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who need little or a lot of help, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
All in all this a fantastic resource for anybody undertaking study of an Arts subject. The book can be read through from cover to cover or dipped in and out of as needed. It is clearly laid out with hints and tips highlighted and each subject well indexed. Guides on essay writing, study skills, note taking, intelligent reading and numerous other subjects not least of which using technology to assist your studies. This guide covers it all. Written in simple easy to understand language this book will be a continual support for the beginner student or an experienced hand. You'll find yourself referring to it time and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 12 April 2010
Ian Bradbury (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
I have just started my first course at the OU (L185)and bought this book to use alongside my course material. I found it extremely useful in that it gave me lots of help that mirrored the course but put in an entirely different way, giving an overall more in-depth understanding of subject and the skills I will need.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is starting out in university education and it probably has something for those who are already there.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent workbook, 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
I'm doing the Open University humanities and this is an excellent guide to studying and writing essays, written clearly and with lots of examples, highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide for students, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
This book is great for English Literature students. It gives you some really good tips on essay writing, reading techniques and general tips for revision etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Constant companion, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
This has lots of information which I have found very useful. It is one if those books that one can dip in and out if to find information, or just browse to pick up snippets. I shall be using this throughout the course

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preparation for any course, 14 Oct 2013
Ms. J. A. Russell "Jan R" (Birmingham. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
The advice in here will help any student. It's worth reading it through before your course begins but you will keep dipping into it throughout your studies. Will help with any course Arts or otherwise because most of the information is pretty universal.

5.0 out of 5 stars the arts good study guide, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
this book is helping me to complete,hopefully,a degree course in the open university. It covers a lot of ground and is very informative,I would reccomend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Arts Good Study Guide - fit for purpose?, 7 Oct 2009
C. J. Pascall "Crispybacon" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Arts Good Study Guide (Paperback)
This guide is full of good intentions and, if one breaches the "boredom threshold", has much to commend it in terms of practical guidance for both new and continuing students - even "mature students" such as I (aged 66 and trying for my second OU degree; the first in Mathematics some 10 years ago.) Do not try to read the guide from "cover to cover" as a novel but be very selective, matching your reading to your current needs. Unless you have spare cash (and who has these days?)I would suggest you invest elsewhere (borrow a copy by all means!)as I would rate this book as useful but of dubious "value for money". Chrispybacon.

The Arts Good Study Guide
The Arts Good Study Guide by Andrew Northledge (Paperback - 18 Feb 2008)
14.99