on 12 May 2012
Very thin - not good value. I've since discovered that if you're an OU student you can download the PDF version for free from the Study Skills part of the OU web site. However, for someone new to writing assignments, the content is useful.
on 30 April 2010
Im returning to study after twelve years so to refresh myself on whats needed and how to do assignments i ordered this book. Its a concise guide to preparing assignments and some points were indeed very helpful and made to world of study a little less scary!
on 3 September 2010
This guide is good, but it is short. I study with the Open University who wrote the book and it was helpful to know the layout and structure expected but I am not sure if all Universities are the same so I am not sure how useful it would be to someone studying elsewhere.
on 13 October 2013
I think I may have expected too much of this book, I was hoping for a little more insight into academic writing. Most of the content is just plain common sense such as 'read the question properly' and 'break your writing up into paragraphs'.

If your standard of written English is already good and you take the time to read the blurb at the beginning of assessments, this book is just a waste of money.
on 28 December 2013
32 pages of common sense, nothing in it that I have not been told before, if you are thinking about buying this, save your money and avoid it
on 31 December 2013
as per any Open university book it is full of information and good advice, much of it gleaned from and tested by OU students,
on 24 October 2013
Was a great help in showing how to set out an essay and help get maximum marks for the work done
on 14 October 2012
This book aims to help students preparing for Open University students although I found it very useful for courses in other diciplines as most of the info is generic and not specific to a particular feild of study. well worth a read whatever your discipline is.
on 24 December 2011
Excellent addition to my stduying library. Full fo useful facts, hints and tips. Has made my return to formal study much easier. I found it very useful when preparing my firts assignment for the OU.Preparing Assignments
on 28 November 2012
The book is full of useful information. It's just a shame that some tutors haven't read it first. It's easy to follow and the methods should help with writing a purposeful assignment.