5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Spillane
Published on 16 Sep 2010 by Jewellguitars

3.0 out of 5 stars Micky Spillane novel
Three books in one cover by Micky Spillane. I enjoyed it but I doubt if I will read it again. I have all the Neville Shute books and the Dick Francis books which I go back to time and time again. This is not a book of that calibre.
Published on 7 Oct 2010 by RayB

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Spillane, 16 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Mike Hammer Omnibus: "I, the Jury", "My Gun is Quick", "Vengeance is Mine!" v. 1 (Paperback)
Having read the originals during the 1960's, I am really enjoying reading these again! A great idea to put them into an omnibus edition, for I would not have purchased them seperately because of price. Mike Hammer is the best of the original tough guy private eye genre and, while they appear a little dated now, they are still a thumping good read. They are a little thin on plot, but if you want that then go to Agatha Christie, but for a tough, fast paced thriller then these are typical Spillane. Realistic and of police procedural they are not, but for an industructable Private Eye who wins every fight and shootout, then Mike Hammer was, is, and always will be the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mickey Spillane: the Master of Hard-Boiled Crime Fiction, 2 Nov 2006
I recently discovered this collection of three Mike Hammer novels and was absolutely blown away. These are still as fresh as they would have been a couple of decades ago - the violence still had the power to make me wince and I was engrossed in the plots until the final, final twist.

Mike Hammer is also everything you expect and demand of a gumshoe private eye; ready to take some risks that the average cop shies away from and with quite an eye for the broads. Spillane still has a lot to teach crime writers of today. Now I'm off to get volume 2...

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look, 12 July 2012
Superb - better than I expected. Love the retro cover as it suits the contents.Classic Hammer novels in an easy to read format. Recommended if you like pulp fiction and detective stories of the old school

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 6 July 2013
Great read, great condition, if you like chandler, hamnet and ellroy you will love this! first rate fiction first rate

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Early stories from the master, 15 Jun 2011
Colin Mayo "Rooster Booster" (Hemel Hempstead) - See all my reviews
These are Spillane's early stories and they really pack a punch. To some extent what Spillane does follows a pattern but the stories are still gripping and real page turners. I've tried reading literally dozens of books - my wife always moans as I order loads of books on Amazon and don't finish them - I get half way through and I get bored and find the stories unrealistic/unconvincing/uninteresting - but not so with Spillane - I always know its a cover to cover job and I will be enthralled all the way through. I wish more modern authors paid attention to action and fast moving plots rather than nasal gazing and verbosity. Spillane, without doubt, is the master of this hard boiled fiction. If you want a good read pick up one of his books. They should be on the National Curriculum - maybe then more boys would read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I, Love it, 11 Jan 2010
Here is a collection of three of the best Mickey Spillane novels of the 40s and 50s and by God, they really are something to read. His main character and first-person narrator, Mike Hammer, is a truly unloveable man, a Neanderthal by modern standards, a crude, violent, self-righteous, sexist, right-wing, egotistical pig - and in Spillane's raw prose, honed in his years as a comic book writer, utterly compelling. I approached these novels with a sort of curious disdain but stayed the course, surprised and intrigued by Spillane's writing and narrative skills. His narrator speaks with the raw unpolished voice of the streets, and yet at the same time with wonderful clarity for the reader is never in the slightest doubt about whatever point, however nuanced, that Mr Hammer wants to get across. That's not easy for a writer to do. The stories move along swiftly and of course violently, and as repulsive as Mike Hammer might be to modern sensibilities, he is certainly entertaining to listen to, and a wonderful antidote to all the wearisome political correctness that's around these days.

As Mickey Spillane used to say to the literary critics who disparaged and deplored his high octane sex and violence and the thuggish Mike Hammer, if the public likes you, you're good. The public always liked him - and Mike. Read and see why.

5.0 out of 5 stars volume 1 fine in good condition and very satisfied but still no ..., 15 Nov 2014
volume 1 fine in good condition and very satisfied but still no sign of volume 2 so news of same would be very nice thankyou

3.0 out of 5 stars Micky Spillane novel, 7 Oct 2010