5.0 out of 5 stars Literate, amusing and completely captivating
First Sentence: My dear Eliza, I must begin another letter to you, although it is not six hours since I sent my last.

Catherine Kent is engaged to Richard Montague. During a special ball at Betsfield Hall, Richard reacts strongly to a red-headed man and then disappears.

Catherine's father sends for his spinster sister, Miss Dido Kent. The same day...
Published on 6 Aug 2008 by L. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly OK
I enjoyed this cosy murder mystery - the characters were interesting, the period details convincing and the plot well constructed. The touches of humour were particularly well done, I thought. It just lacked that extra something that would make me rush back to it. I was able to put it aside for a few days quite easily.
Published on 11 Mar 2010 by Reader 11

4.0 out of 5 stars A country house mystery in early 1800's England., 3 April 2010
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book was originally titled "A Moment of Silence".

What a happy circumstance it was for me to discover this lovely novel. I really enjoy reading period mysteries and this one fits into the niche of "gentlewoman sleuth". And as if that wasn't enough of a challenge for the author to take on, she also makes a large portion of the story take the form of letters from our gentle detective to her sister. Any reader who enjoys the atmosphere of upper society England in the early 1800's will find this book well written and a quite good challenge for solving. If you are a stickler for exact correctness in period detail, you may find some examples of historical errors. I wouldn't know, I was too interested in enjoying the writing talents of this author to worry about those issues. For me, the mystery and the relationships between the characters will always come first.

The plot is that Miss Dido Kent (a spinster in her 30's - not too clear about her exact age) has traveled to Bellfield Hall to support her niece Catherine during a very trying time for her. It seems that Catherine and the future heir to Bellfield, Richard Montague, had no sooner announced their engagement at the ball than something occurred which caused Richard to privately break the engagement and leave the area. Very soon thereafter the body of a murdered woman was found in the shrubbery and Dido discovered that she has a very curious nature and so set about trying to solve the mystery.

I read so many mysteries that I honestly enjoy finding one where the author is able to wave a clue directly under my nose and have me miss it. Was I correct about who had committed the crime? Yes. Was I able to ferret out the other huge mystery which was the catalyst that set every other happening in motion? Absolutely not. What fun that was.

There is another book in this series, Gentleman of Fortune, A, which I already have. I can only hope that book is as good as this one was. Hopefully Ms Dean will continue to write more of the Dido Kent Mystery series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Moment of Silence (Paperback)
I enjoyed this murder mystery a good plot with great characters. I will be reading more of Anna Dean's books

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 7 Mar 2014
Dawn Talbot (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Well written (using letters to move the story along is a good touch)with a good plot,a realistic historical setting and a good mix of characters.Dido is an unusual but likeable detective and I will be reading more of Anna Dean's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars a moment of silence, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Moment of Silence (Paperback)
very satisfied withquick delivery looking forward to reading it .anne dean is new to me as i have'nt red any of er books

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively Good, 19 July 2013
This review is from: A Moment of Silence (Paperback)
A Moment of Silence is not art and it's not literature and it's not a history lesson. Turn away now, purists, and dwell amid the one-star reviews at the bottom of this page.

Now for the rest of us, settle down and enjoy this artfully constructed, cleverly paced and wittily written little gem. This is just the right length to make you finish it wanting more. The characters pretty much all leap off the page. And it has just the right degree of deviousness to the mystery, with our heroine, Miss Kent, mostly one step ahead of the reader but just occasionally, and quite deliberately I'm sure, one step behind.

I will look out for Anna Dean's Miss Dido Kent books from now on and they will add just the right amount of leavening to my literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very jolly, 11 July 2013
This is not great literature or even particularly exciting literature. And frankly, I can't now even remember the plot. But I bought it for holiday reading, enjoyed it at the time and it was very entertaining. I would probably buy another, if it was cheap, for a future holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars History meets Who Done It, 7 July 2013
F. Underhill (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Moment of Silence (Paperback)
If you are a fan of murder mysteries and historical fiction then you will love this book. The way it is written is extremely clever, particularly the way it weaves the letters written by Dino Kent to her sister into the main plot. The author has taken a great deal of trouble to ensure that the language used is in context to the period that the book is set in. The plot has enough twists and turns to ensure the reader is kept guessing. I enjoyed this book so much that as soon as I finished reading it I went onto Amazon and purchased the other 3 Dido Kent books!!

5.0 out of 5 stars First in a great series, 6 July 2013
Meet Dido Kent in this first instalment in a delightful Regency detective series. Witty, intelligent and free-thinking, she pushes the limits placed upon genteel ladies of the time. You will not be disappointed in character, plot or writing style in this most enjoyable novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Style,wit and mystery, 10 Jun 2013
A beautifully crafted narrative, believable characters and the style of writing to match their world. Good enough to read in one sitting...

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 24 April 2013
V. Bakewell (Coventry UK) - See all my reviews
got this for my kindle after borrowing it from my local library. a good read and enjoyable setting. a different who done it

A Moment of Silence
A Moment of Silence by Anna Dean (Paperback - 11 May 2009)
5.59