5.0 out of 5 stars A great follow up and bridge to the next book
I loved "Ill Wind", the first in this series, and immediately after finishing it bought the next 3 books in the series.

Published on 4 Jun. 2006 by Helen Hancox

3.0 out of 5 stars picks up right where Ill Wind left off
I really liked the second book in this pretty long series. In fact, I really got pulled into the story and got stressed out when the MC was being pulled in multiple directions. Basically, I really connected with the characters more in this book than in the previous. Joanne's a bad-ass, and I really like that.
That being said. I really REALLY wish the author would...
Published on 17 Sept. 2010 by Rebecca

5.0 out of 5 stars A great follow up and bridge to the next book, 4 Jun. 2006
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Heat Stroke, although a very good book (thus the 5 stars) didn't quite work as well for me - it felt rather like a linking book, with a far more `up in the air' ending. It was a relief to me to know that I had the third book already so could continue the story.

Caine's world is more interesting in this book as we start to learn what being a Djinn entails. Joanne is settling into her new life and existence as a Djinn and having to learn, very rapidly, how to control her new powers. We meet new characters, including the almost-deity Jonathan, as well as meeting again some of the previous characters like Paul and Lewis. Caine isn't afraid to kill off some of her characters (I'm not going to spoil it by saying who), although I keep being rather worried for David. We have so many hints at possible love-interest between Joanne and Lewis, Joanne and Paul, that you wonder when David's going to get the chop. Fortunately not in this book. You can spend a lot of time thinking about the interesting side issue as to whether Djinn have the same levels of morality as humans when they can be commanded to kill people, to rape people - perhaps this will be further explored in the next books.

The main `threat that involves Joanne saving the day' in this book I found a little confusing. Yes, the twinkly sparkly things were rather different than a dragon or evil despot, but I didn't really understand how it all worked. Perhaps reading the book again will help me to get it straight in my mind. Nevertheless, the middle section of the book dragged a little to me, as Joanne whizzes around the world and Djinn world finding things out and trying to solve problems with her huge power but very limited understanding of the situation. Once again, she comes across very much as a Stephanie Plum character (from Janet Evanovich's very funny crime novels) and I love her sassy nature. She's an excellent heroine.

The end of the book definitely improved, and we were left dangling on a precipice of an extremely serious situation that no doubt Joanne, David and Lewis will be doing their utmost to fix in the next book.

I did like this book, but I feel that it perhaps didn't have quite the immediacy of her first offering. The writing is great fun as always, well-paced and humorous in many places, and so it is worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heat Stroke, 22 Jan. 2007
Clare "Bookaholic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Joanne Baldwin has been accused of murder and is chased across the country and finally killed by a team hunting down rogue wardens. Joanne's funeral clears her of all charges but, as her human life ends so her life in the Djinnhood begins, she has to learn - and fast - her new powers as a Djinn. Joanne is then assigned to study with Patrick, the only successful human-to-djinn transformation

The wonderful David returns in this instalment and their relationship continues, this is a real action packed book even more so than Ill Wind. Joanne can create clothes just like that but, Joanne soon learns out that it will take more than a few clever tricks to become a Djinn, she must improve or end up dead!

David has an evil woman on his trail and Joanne ends up with a very randy teenager because Patrick betrays her and sends her to enslavement, the scenes where she has to wear a french maid outfit were so funny.

I found the start of this book a little slow at first but, once the action starts its all go, the ending leaves you hanging on wanting to know what happens next so it may be a good idea to have book three waiting in the wings.

Another brilliant book from this fantastic series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent second in series..., 14 Aug. 2011
DebB (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A lot's been written already, so I will simply add that this is a great book 2. It's a little slow to get going, but when it does, goodness, does it go! I was deaf to TV, hubby, telephone... the ending is only a break in the action, and book three is totally set up. I'll be getting it soon - the advantage to coming to these late in the day is that I can gulp my way through the first 9 books without having to wait for 'em to be written (I did that with the Sookie Stackhouse books - totally saturated over a week!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical series of books, 26 Sept. 2012
I love Rachel Caine books. They are a series I want to read. Just when I thought she couldn't get any better with the Morganville collection I discovered the Weather Wardens. Thank you for the excellent stories

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 10 Feb. 2014
if you have read the morganville vampires you will also love these books even though they are not vampire related Rachel Caine is a great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A STORMY TALE, 13 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
This is the second weather warden book featuring Joanne Baldwin and it's even better than the first. Now we know the main characters and we can follow them through another fast and twisty plot straight to the heart of the storm. Its not often an author kills off her main character in book one, but it works and works well. Prepare for the surprise at the end. I was lucky enough to read Book one and two together, unfortunately I've got to wait for book three. That's my only critisism.

5.0 out of 5 stars all Rachel Cain books, 3 Oct. 2010
L. Daltry "LD" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Stroke (Weather Warden) (Paperback)
What a thrill, from start to finish all her books carry you on a magical, wonderful, exciting ride. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel to Ill Wind, 18 Sept. 2004
Mark E. Cooper "Fantasybooks" (STANFORD-LE-HOPE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Heat Stroke is the second book in the Weather Warden series. Johanne and David are still on the run, but a message David receives changes their plans. No one knows where they are, so how did the message reach them? A Djinn brought it of course! Rahel is back, and she is being just as obscure as usual.

Read Ill Wind first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just makes you want more, 5 Feb. 2007
I loved the first book in this series, Ill Wind. While that book stood alone this is a book that launches a series. Now we know the characters are here for the long term we can really settle in.

Joanne is a great heroine and we have two delicious heroes in Daivd and Lewis. Both with supernatural powers - yum.

Great easy fun reading

3.0 out of 5 stars picks up right where Ill Wind left off, 17 Sept. 2010
That being said. I really REALLY wish the author would stop adding so much "weather". I know it's a series about a Weather Warden, but seriously. I went through a lot of meteorology classes, and the only one where we EVER discussed the mesosphere was the intro class, where we learned about all the layers. So, storms punching into the mesosphere, not so much. Every time I encountered "mesosphere" in the book, it just ruined it for me, and I had to pick up the pieces to start liking it again, which I was able to do.
Admittedly, it's fiction, and it shouldn't upset me so much, but it does. I still liked the books enough to get the third and fourth. And, I'm still addicted to the characters, magic, and really fun (if not completely stressful) plots. :)

Heat Stroke (Weather Warden)
Heat Stroke (Weather Warden) by Rachel Caine (Paperback - 23 Jun. 2008)