5.0 out of 5 stars Another exhilarating ride with the weather...
THIN AIR is the 6th book in the Weather Warden series, soon to be followed by GALE FORCE on the 5th August.

Published on 20 July 2008 by Elizabeth

I've not finished it yet but so far it's been a bit of a disappointment compared to the preceding books which were excellent. I think there's too much padding based on catching a glimpse of her lost memories. This is unfortunate because I've thoroughly enjoyed the series up to the point before reading this particular book.

Three stars because there is...
Published on 24 Dec 2009 by Frances

5.0 out of 5 stars Another exhilarating ride with the weather..., 20 July 2008
Elizabeth (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews

I really enjoyed this book, and although yes it is set in a slightly different format from the previous 5 in the series, I found this refreshing rather than frustrating. I think it's good that Caine is willing to explore new structures and plots rather than sticking with whats worked for her so far. Many series get boring once the author has found out what works, and sticks to it!

THIN AIR follows directly on from FIRESTORM. Jo is naked and alone in the woods, without any memory of who she is or how she got there....when two gorgeous (but scary) men come looking for her, she is simultaneously drawn to them and confused by the powers that they wield.

I liked the no-memory angle: it gave Caine a chance to re-explain (briefly) certain aspects of Weather-Wardening to Jo, and thus the reader, again, almost reminding us of how the world that she has created works. I don't know about anyone else, but I've found that in the previous books they've been such page turners that I sometimes skip over the detailed weather-explaining bits, and so the paragraph or so where Lewis/David try to explain to Joanne just what she is, helped me to.
Also, we get interesting glimpses of other minor/major characters thoughts and memories from previous incidents that happened in the other books, and learn just what some people think of her, which is a different angle to say the least!

Jo's memories, and her entire history, have been ripped away by Ashan, and so she finds herself unwittingly trying to gain new ones by viewing other peoples. This gets her into trouble, and once again the wardens don't trust her and she is on her own, trying to save the world (or herself), only she has no idea how to do it or even that she has saved the world many times before...in other words, she's in deep s**t. As per usual! All the things that readers love are still here; her fiestiness, her stubborness to try and try agian even when she has no idea what to do or even if she can do it! There are plot twists and dangerous action bits, and even the usual love (or not?) triangle between her, lewis and david, so enough to keep anyone happy!

THIN AIR does end on a relative non-cliff hanger, compared to some we've been dealt with in previous books in the series, and yet I still can't wait for GALE FORCE to come out. I've read an extract and it's gona be good :)

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended urban fantasy, 17 Sep 2010
Thin Air is book 6 in the Weather Warden series & in some ways it is quite different to the previous books. Jo has completely lost her memory so she has no idea who she can trust and doesn't know her about her powers and how to use them. She's got to learn everything again from scratch and it's a steep learning curve. A lot of the book is focused on Jo trying to regain her memory & we get glimpses of events from previous books from other character's perspectives.

Joanne's interaction with the other characters is changed significantly due to her memory loss & I found I missed the ongoing chemistry with her & David although this does develop more towards the end of the book. We get to see what is happening with a lot of the characters we've known and either loved or hated in earlier books & I did find my opinion of some of them changed quite radically with the new knowledge we now have.

Although I wouldn't say this is my favorite book in the series I did find it interesting to see things from different viewpoints. There is still a fair amount of action but it isn't as fast paced as I've come to expect the books in this series to be. I wouldn't recommend reading this book if you haven't read any of the other Weather Warden books but if you are a fan of the series then I still think it is worthwile reading. Overall I think the ongoing story between the Wardens & the Djinn is developing well & it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 3 books and how the series will actually finish

5.0 out of 5 stars A daring change in fomat, 10 April 2010
This book provides a daring change in format from the previous Weather Warden series. Without giving away too much, the protagonist loses her memory completely, and this book serves as a fantastic re-introduction to the world creaed by Rachel Caine.
I have never read any other book where the author is willing to completely reset the main character and bring the reader through the highlights of the first few books again, without losing the pace of the main story arc.
Yet another Weather Warden book that you simply won't be able to put down!
Well done Rachel!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad but a bit too much padding unlike the preceding excellent books in this series., 24 Dec 2009

Three stars because there is sufficient interesting material in this book not to put me off reading the rest of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars not so bad, 14 Dec 2007
romreader "pawsperson" (Gosport, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I read this and feel that it is not as good as her previous books in this series. It feels like she was tying to tell how Joanne got her memory back, so she could get on and continue the series. Sort of a filler book (bit like a prologue and a lot longer). but i think you should read it if you know the series but start with any other 'weather warden' book if new to the series. I still think it should be read if following the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thin Air (Weather Warden), 3 Nov 2007
After reading the previous books in the series - you feel in touch with the way the character has developed, but in this book it seems that the author has used the loss of memory as a way to restart the series again.
The book lurches from poor plot choices and rehashes characters and enemy's from previous books without the previous plot twists that make the books so readable.
Overall a very poor choice when compared to the rest of the series - you are left with a sour taste in your mouth and unfortunately you would not be thinking of continuing the series - which is a shame because so far the books have been 5 star material.
Must do better with the next one !!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 10 Feb 2014
if you have read the morganville vampires you will also love these books even though they are not vampire related Rachel Caine is a great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Jan 2013
M. Thompson - See all my reviews
Even more insight in to the great characters in this series by Rachel Caine. A brilliant read thanks very much!

2.0 out of 5 stars not read yet, 12 Jan 2013
simple i have not read this book yet so i cannot give a review
there should be a longer space of time befgore you ask for a review

5.0 out of 5 stars Still loving this series, 8 July 2011
Book six of the Weather Warden series. Previous books are Ill Wind, Heat Stroke, Chill Factor, Windfall and Firestorm.

Joanne wakes up in a forest; cold, naked and with no memory, Lewis and David find her but she also has no clue who they are. As they try to work out how to get her memories back, Vanna (Alice) takes her away to Vegas where she promptly gets arrested and has to be bailed out. Unfortunately she gets bailed out by the last people on earth she'd want to bail her out, if only she could remember them. The key to getting her memory back is Ashan, but he's in hiding after being stripped of his Djinn-hood. At the same time she must save the world from the demon who is trying to take over her life.

The great thing with this story was Joanne's memory loss, because of course we know she who she shouldn't be trusting but she just won't listen no matter how much I tell her! Although she does get to meet and fall in love with David all over again which is a nice thing. And with a new power to boot! She's now a triple threat like Lewis, although she has no control over either Fire or Earth power since they're still new to her, but technically so is Weather since she can't remember ever learning it.

I love Rachel Caine's writing so much and what's bugging me so much is that this book is the last one available in UK covers so far. There's no news on the publisher's website as to when the next one is being released. So, since I refuse to buy the US cover and wreck my collection, I'm going to have to find another way to read the rest of the series. 'Cause I most definitely want to read the rest of the series!

As should you!

Thin Air (Weather Warden)
Thin Air (Weather Warden) by Rachel Caine (Paperback - 29 Sep 2011)
5.90