Format: PaperbackChange

So anyone who has read any of my previous Morganville reviews will know I love this series and Rachel Caine. I love anything that woman writes and refuse to believe there is anything bad to say about her books. You might think this would make writing the review easier but it's a lot harder since I feel like I just gush over her and her works.

For any who don't know, Morganville is a town in Texas that is run by vampires. Everyone, except for the Uni students, know about the vampires and live by certain rules etc. to keep themselves alive. Claire Danvers is one of those students but she finds out about the hidden background of Morganville and eventually starts working for the founder, Amelie. Throughout the books Claire deals with a lot: bullying, moving into a house with strangers, finding out vampires exist, learning how to live in Morganville, falling in love, almost dying, actually dying, saving the town, saving herself and her friends as well as other little trivial things. Black Dawn is the most recent in the series and we find out more about the even-more-baddy-than-vampire draug that were introduced in Last Breath.

So, like I said above, there are no bad things to say about Black Dawn. All Morganville fans will want to read this, it brings up some interesting ideas for future books and any non Morganville fans, I highly recommend you start the series with Glass Houses and work through it from there. For UKers there's a gorgeous Morganville Omnibus available that includes the first 3 books: Glass Houses, The Dead Girl's Dance and Midnight Alley.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2012
As with the last book, we continue on in the fashion of alternate narratives which let us delve further into the lives of our favourite Morganites.

Previously we have learned that there is an enemy that even the Vampires fear and that the fight is just beginning. The Draug are getting stronger with Magnus feeding them more Vampires and humans, allowing them to gain more strength and power is not a thought worth thinking about and it becomes clear that there is a lot more than just Morganville at stake if the Draug win.

With this in mind, the battle commenses and we see Micheal, Eve, Claire, Shane, Myrin, Amelie and Oliver fight for their life and Morganville in a series of attacks on the Draug. Some of which are successful and other which aren't so much, and some where we are left reeling at the possibility of loosing one of our most favourite characters...

And as usual in true Morganiville style, which this is all going on we have 'normal' problems to contend with like Micheal and Eve and will they ever get married, and even Monica's troubles when she too, feels the brunt of the fight in a sad way which see's us finally break into the minds of Hannah and her brother and the depths of their feelings they once had...

With battle and war comes death and Morganville is not immune, this is the biggest fight left and there are more than just the casualty of death, which we see played out in some engrossing breaks from reality with Shane, stylistically written like always by Caine, we see his biggest fears come to light and the most empathy and sympathy we have ever felt for him not to mention love.

The battle of course comes to a head and while the finality of the battle brings to light a number of things, it's clear that Morganville is never going to be the same and I am itching so much to see what Caine has in store for us in her next installment...

"Bitter Blood"; rumored to be the next installment will hopefully be available soon.

on 9 September 2012
I kinda liked the plot, but Rachel Caine has in her later Morganville books for no good reason started using first-person narratives for many major characters. And in Black Dawn she seems to think that she has to tell the story for EVERY character from the first-person perspective. Claire she still uses a 3rd-person narrative for (thankfully, even if it's inconsistent). I don't need to know what Amelie and Oliver are thinking. It takes away from their mysticism, and frankly Rachel Caine doesn't seem to be able to make them interesting at all from their first-person perspective. What was cool about Amelie and Oliver was that they were a bit mystic. Now, hearing their thoughts, they seem just.. ordinary. It ruins things for me. So I probably won't buy the next Morganville book. Too bad, this series had great potential. I'm sad to see it being ruined by the author.
on 5 May 2012
Another stunning and exciting read in the morganville adventures. Had me enthrawled from start to finish and could not put it down. 5 hours later when finished was gutted that it had ended. Ready for the next one hurry up cant wait for the next installment. A must read for all fans as this book will not disappoint and even though it is the 12th installment does not loose any of it's carisma or excitement.
on 8 June 2012
if your a fan of the previous Morganville books, BUY THIS BOOK. It's the perfect follow up to the previous books. Caine writes in a way that makes you fall in love with the characters (specifically Shane, in my case.....). But honestly, if you've read the previous books, buy this one, and if you haven't read any of the series yet, you're missing out, buy 'The Glass House' and get reading. The books are good for a more adult-than-twilight style read, but not quite the adult style story of a series such as True Blood. Highly Reccomended. Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires)
on 11 August 2012

I have been in love with this world and these characters since book one, where each book left me desperate for more. Considering how amazing I already thought this series was, you'll know have some idea just how good Black Dawn is by me saying this is the best book in the series so far!

I have said many times that Rachel Caine is a genius, but she steps it up a notch in Black Dawn. The action in this book is relentless! Seriously, it doesn't stop! Now, readers of The Morganville Vampires series might be thinking that every book is action packed, and you would be right. But the difference with Black Dawn is that the whole novel spans two days. Two days! Previous books in the series span several days, and though action packed, within the time that goes by in the story, it could be a day or two between the big, exciting action scenes. With Black Dawn, it's a matter of hours. Sometimes minutes.

Because of this, and the horrendous draug, Black Dawn comes close to being what I would consider a mild horror. I was seriously freaked out pretty much all the way through. It is literally a battle against time, because the draug will stop at nothing to get what they want - the vampires, and then the town. With no idea how to stop the draug that can seemingly appear out of nowhere, but needing to try, our awesome characters - and us as readers - are at our wits end. The synopsis above says that the future looks bleak, and it's spot on. How do you kill that which has never been killed before? Death looks inevitable, but those who are left in Morganville won't go down without a fight.

With this in mind, Black Dawn is really the most demoralising book in the series, and the constant rain that brought the draug to Morganville doesn't help matters. The mood is of general dejection, but our four main characters have issues of their own. At the end of Last Breath, after being rescued from the draug, due to extreme weakness and hunger, Michael attacked Eve without thinking. He could have killed her. So those two have some major, major issues to sort out - if they can. I have never seen seen Eve or Michael as despondent as they are in this book. Claire and Shane also have problems of their own; after a mission goes terribly wrong, Shane is left haunted psychologically, and has problems disentangling dreams from reality. He is confused and desperately scared of his own mind and at times can barely function. He is completely lost, and Claire doesn't know how to bring him back. It's devastating to watch. Although it's fiction, we've had eleven books to get to know and love these characters, and we now know these people inside out. To see Shane, the tough, sarcastic, funny guy to fall apart and lose his grip like he does, it's so unbelievably upsetting, and like Claire, you're desperate for him to find a way back.

Black Dawn is told through multiple perspectives, as Last Breath was, but with more people narrating the story than you would expect - some of the narrators being characters you'd least expect. But it's absolutely necessary. Not everyone can be together at the same time when things are as bad as they are, so when people split up, to know what's going on where, we follow different characters. It's also massively important because there are so many people going through major emotional turmoil, and it shows us exactly what's going on in their heads. Claire is still the main narrator (in third person, while everyone else's is in first), but it is amazing to have all these other points of view too. In some cases, it's brilliant, because we get to see the intentions of surprising people, long before anyone else is clued in to what's happening. Trouble is coming.

Black Dawn is just brilliant, and scary. Things have changed massively, for everyone. Morganville will no longer be as it has been, people have changed, life is more difficult - and not everyone will make it out alive. Black Dawn is a pivotal book in the series, and it's absolutely fantastic! I am so excited to read the thirteenth book in the series, Bitter Blood, which is out in November.
on 24 June 2012
when I first began to read this series ithought that I had purchased the full set and book 11 seemed to confirm this with the ending.
The story follows the lives of 6 main characters who live in a house in a town run by vampires.The owner of the house had been killes by a vampire trying to make him on of them, however he didn`t have the full knowledge to complete the transition. The house had belonged to his parents and seemed to have powers which prevented him from leaving the house so that he could live as a human during the evening but was a ghost during the day.The house,however belonged to the founder of Morganville,a vampire herself who controlled all the vampires. Michael,the ghost was 18 years old and lived with 2 of his friends from high school Shane and Eve. Claire joins when she attends college as a early student due to her academic achievements but was bulliewd by the mayors daughter who pushed her down stairs when Claire had embarrassed her in front of her friends.Later on in the series Michael has to become a full vampire so he can go outside of the house to help his friends out of trouble.Shane finds it difficult to accept him at first but Eve who is his girlfriend has no qualms neither has Claire, who because of her scientific knowledge has to start working fir the vampires.
I am pleased to say that I am glad the series has finished as I thoroughly enjoyed book 12 and look forward to the reading more and finding out what happens to Shane and Claire. Fantastic series to follow the Twilight books.
on 8 June 2012
I suppose I'd half forgotten what had happened to Amelie at the end of Last Breath as that seemed to be the only thing that wasn't repeated to us over and over again, which is actually something that really bugged me. We're given this nice little "previously in Morganville" chunk of text that catches us up to where we were and then it's also incorporated quite strongly into the story itself as well. Reminding us of everything that has happened. One or the other would do just fine! Still, despite it taking a little bit to pick up, after the first chapter or so it jumps right back into the Morganville we fell in love with and doesn't once start to drag.

In Black Dawn, Caine keeps to the multiple perspectives she used in Last Breath and I have to say that she has really got a hang of these. Though I get bored of multi-perspective stories as there are so many around, it's great to see different parts of the series and inside character's heads that we otherwise don't usually get to. I just hope we never get to see Myrnin's perspective because I really don't think that would work so well. He works best as a conundrum. Speaking of, he is as great as ever. I definitely laughed out loud a few times at his one liners and I will not spoil them for you. They're ace. But he is still a very deep character and I cannot stress how much I adore him.

As for the other characters, yet again we see more progression. Claire and Shane have really started to give me a warm glow when I read about them. They are so in love and the lack of angst is so refreshing. Michael and Eve, on the other hand, have quite a lot of problems in Black Dawn, particularly after the events in Last Breath. Michael is becoming more of a vampire every day and Eve has been hurt quite badly, as such, she becomes strong. Not just the faux badass that she has been all along but properly strong. And Amelie is dying. Worse, she's changing and not for the better.

Black Dawn is, in my honest opinion, the best yet. At some point I just stopped taking notes while reading because I was too engrossed to remember I needed to jot things down. If you read this review despite the warning of spoilers and aren't entirely up to date with the series, I seriously recommend you pick the series back up because it gets so good.
on 26 May 2012
OMG, the new book is out, the new book is out!!!!!!!! Arrrrgggghhhhh. YAY!
Rachel Caine is a total legend and I highly anticipate every new release. Desperate to get my hands on it. As I said in my 'Stacking the Shelves' video, I had to wait to receive this as I per-ordered it from the publisher with a deal that meant Rachel would sign it for me - so totally worth the wait, I have a personalized copy! :D
Anyway, I started to read this and have to admit, I had no idea what was going on. I was 99.9% certain that I had read book 11 but for some reason it hadn't stuck. I was drawing a blank so I took a quick break and grabbed the previous book and had a flip through. I read the odd paragraph every 40 pages or so and within minutes it had all come rushing back and made perfect sense. I knew it was in my brain somewhere, just got buried beneath other stuff. Now happy I knew what was going on, I carried on and boy was I back.
Every time I pick up these books it's like being greeted by old friends, no judgement for your absence just a big welcome back and come along for the ride.
I always find Rachel's books very easy to read, they just flow so well and are so awesome that I get swept up into the whole Epicness.
I did stop about a third of the way in so I could start reading a book for my London visit last week, and then I didn't feel like reading when I was ill in the week so I had quite a break in the middle and I was itching to get back into it. It was like talking to a friend then having the phone cut off, I was desperate to get back into it. Finally today I had my chance and I powered through the rest. It was sooo good. I was crying, laughing, gasping, gripping the chair in anticipation. Pages packed full of excitement, action, sarcasm, relationships and crazyness. Just brilliant.
Myrnin is back in this book more and plays a bigger role to which all i can say is YES! I love Myrnin - he is the best. Just so Epic.
Claire and Shane plays quite a vital part in the story of this one too and I love them together and they have some purely breath-taking, mouth dropping moments in this one.
Miss Caine you have done it again. But can I please have the next one now! :D
on 25 May 2012
When a tide of ferocious draug, the vampire's deadliest enemy, floods Morganville, its eclectic mix of residents must fight to save their town from devastation.

Chaos has taken over the quiet college town of Morganville as the threat of the draug rapidly spreads with the help of the city's water system. Whilst most of the locals have already fled, student Claire Danvers and her friends Shane, Eve and Michael choose to stay and fight.

Things may take a turn for the worse when vampire Amelie, the town's founder, is infected by the master draug's bite. Unless Claire and her friends can find an antidote to save Amelie and overcome the draug, Morganville's future looks bleak...
Black Dawn starts of right where Last Breath leaves off. Although it is a whole new book Rachel Caine replicates the writing technique that she used in the previous books but it still manages to surprise me.

In Bite Club we saw quite a lot of the book varies from Claire and Shane's point of view which was followed by Last Breath where it varied between many of the main characters. This is what Rachel Caine continues to do in Black Dawn. We see more of Michael and you find out about his true feelings for Eve which Rachel could not have portrayed if she just used Claire so I think it was a really good idea to explore this. Also after majorly unexpected events with Shane, the story wouldn't have been the same without following the events through Shane's mind. I have to admit, normally I hate stories with varying viewpoints but Rachel Caine definitely pulled it off to the point when I liked it and thought it was really good. She managed to develop and create the characters to an extent that I felt like they were actually real and I was there listening to what they had to say.

The characters in the novel take on a new enemy together, with the absence of Amelie and not being able to meet her because of her fatal condition, Claire, Shane, Michael and Eve must strive to fight this ancient enemy, with the help from some fellow vampires, even if it means some losses and sacrifices have to be made on the way. Although we don't get to see much of Monica in this novel, the fraction of the story that she is present, you get more of an insight into her than you have ever before in any of the previous eleven books. She has her own troubles, dangers and challenges to face and you begin to see a new Monica for a slight second before her old self envelops and hides the insecurities over again. We also see more of Richard Morrell and Hannah too with viewpoints from each of these characters exploring their thoughts, feelings and actions. Claire, as in the previous books is the same vulnerable and innocent underneath but has a big front and continues to develop confidence and has up to now become a very strong and brave character. I liked her from the start and now I feel she is an extremely well-developed and chosen protagonist for this series. Along with Eve with some complications threatening her relationship with Michael as we saw in Last Breath she is able to develop into a strong, independent, brave and capable young woman which is very much different to the one we got introduced to in Glass Houses. Although we do not see any of Jason in the beginning of the novel her is a very important catalyst and controls the outcome and change of very important events to this whole novel We see the return of Naomi, Amelie's sister and Rachel expands on her and we find much more about her as a person but more of that in the book otherwise I'd be spoiling it! You'd be glad to hear that Myrnin's back, you've got to love the guy but he does have an influence into a series of events affecting our four favourite roommates.

The storyline progresses a lot, I was a bit weary thinking I had had enough of the draug in Last Breath but Rachel Caine proved me wrong as she built up on the draug exploring more of their traits and abilities. My favourite about these novels that through every book, nothing seems to stay the same (well maybe Monica Morrell is an exception!) and new ideas and events are included, making the reader unable to predict what happens next. Every page is engrossed with comedy, happiness, sadness, action, adventure and romance keeping the reader well-entertained and eager to just read the whole thing as quickly as possible! - although I do seem to hate that as well because it means I have no new material to read and have to wait a while for the next book but the wait is definitely worth it!
An extremely well-written novel, full of adventure, excitement and action like you've never seen before. The writing-style is exceptionally pleasurable and continues to impress and surprise me in every book published by Rachel Caine. I am unquestionably waiting for Bitter Blood which you can probably tell form the review!

Recommendation : Definitely recommend to everyone but most definitely fans of Twilight, The Vampire Dairies, Vampire Academy, Soul Screamers Series and True Blood.