5.0 out of 5 stars a splendid book in many ways
I read this book several years ago and absolutely loved it. Somehow I lost my copy then,like buses,found two copies at once. I will be reading it again soon.

Published on 3 Jun 2007 by K. Wade Flack

2.0 out of 5 stars so disappointed
Published 8 months ago by Artemisia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a splendid book in many ways, 3 Jun 2007
K. Wade Flack "TYNWALD BOOKS" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Splendour Falls (Paperback)

This book features King John and it slips from past into present effortlessly with such an impact that it is unforgettable. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys history, romance and thrillers.

This book has it all and my life is definitely the better for reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good author's tale., 15 April 2010
Mrs. J. CAMPION (Essex,England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Splendour Falls (Hardcover)
Just loved this story,nothing horrid,just good,old fashioned story-telling.Have read a few of her books and they all have the same quality.She has a really interesting way of writing-i recommend that you try one for yourselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Splendour Falls, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Splendour Falls (Hardcover)
Oh I am on a roll just now!! Have been so lucky to read and review some wonderful novels recently and this is no exception. Once again Ms Kearsley takes us on a journey back in time, this time to two different eras in vastly contrasting centuries. The present day is taken up with Emily on holiday in Chinon awaiting the arrival of her errant cousin who has yet to arrive. There she meets a group of holiday makers staying at her hotel and becomes swept along with their enthusiastic holiday plans until she suspects things arn't quite what they seem. The story revolves around the castle ( chateau) and it is there we hear of the tragic life of Queen Isabelle, child bride to King John. Also thrown into the mix is the story of another desperate romance during WW2 around the time of the occupation, between Isabelle, a serving maid and her German soldier lover.The historical facts are bang on target as ever and both time slip stories blend into the present day so smoothly, as is the skill of this author. But the thrill for me was the descriptive passages devoted to their surroundings which made this story so special. The Chateau, its secret tunnels and violent history are described in such detail you can almost imagine you are there with Queen Isabelle waiting for the morauding hordes who are heading her way for violence and destruction as she desperately prays for her Husband, King John to come to her aid, and alongside Isabelle, the little maid and her German lover, shivering in the tunnels awaiting their fate. I was completely carried away with this and I can't recommend it highly enough, another winner for a very talented author and another positive review for me!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved this one!, 17 Sep 2012
Mrs. Kathleen Norman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Splendour Falls, The (Paperback)
I do think that this one is very different from others by Susanna Kearsley--- less 'time slip' and rather more of a 'who done it' but I loved it anyway and MUST visit Chinon asap --it's beautifully described. If you love Mary Stewart novels do try this one...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by SK, 15 Jun 2013
Absorbing plot line, interesting location, great characters and very well written. Enjoyed it, the author obviously does her research meticulously.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Splendour Falls, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Splendour Falls, The (Paperback)
An interesting story set in France and as with her other books some interesting twists and turns. By the end of the book you want to visit the area to see the buildings etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars so disappointed, 18 Oct 2013
Artemisia (Abruzzi, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Splendour Falls, The (Paperback)
Most of the reviews I found were so favourable I thought I would much enjoy this book. One review even went so far as to say the book was reminiscent of Mary Stewart. So having read all of Mary Stewart's beautifully written and evocative novels,and not so terribly long ago either, I thought "whoopee"! At last! Instead the plot is slow-moving, somewhat confused, padded out with casual bits and pieces that might have been of interest if properly worked into the fabric of the story, and with just a vague echo once or twice of the famous Mary Stewart magic.

Set in France, at the beginning the book is not without interest. We are given to understand that the action is to revolve around a long lost "treasure" once belonging to Isabelle, queen consort of King John II Plantagenet, but we find ourselves embroiled in the tale of a pair of star-crossed lovers during WWII. We are also supposed to sense, with the heroine, a gentle ghostly presence, but as neither of the two Isabelles concerned died young in harrowing circumstances, this particular idea just doesn't work. Furthermore, the second story-line ends up by overshadowing the first: although the author does manage to gather up all or most of the threads in the end, the first and supposedly main story finishes in unseemly, meagre and unsatisfactory haste, leaving this reader at least feeling done out of a decent initial promise. And also, since when is a "treasure", the core of a "quest", and therefore worthy of the greatest respect, discovered as it were by chance in the silliest of places? Where are the obstacles to overcome, where's the mayhem, the suspense?

Pity, because the author is most certainly capable of a far higher standard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual Sory, 5 Jun 2013
A part historical and part detective story set in Chinon Castle in France , on the west coast . King john and his wife lived at the castle for a while and may have hidden diamonds there which the unusual characters in this book were looking for .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 23 May 2013
I didn't think I would like this story. Took me a few chapters but then I was hooked. Very good

4.0 out of 5 stars The Splendour Falls, 7 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book. There was a touch of mystery about it as well as history.
Very nice book .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Splendour Falls, The
Splendour Falls, The by Susanna Kearsley (Paperback - 30 April 2012)
5.93