5.0 out of 5 stars Daylighters
Published 20 months ago by Amethyst Bookwyrm

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed
I am such a huge fan of this series, I was so excited to read Daylighters, but I really wasn't looking forward to the end of the series. The Morganville Vampires series is one of my favourite series, and so reading Daylighters was pretty bittersweet. And sadly, it wasn't my favourite story.

Morganville has been taken over by the Daylight Foundation, an...
Published 15 months ago by Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars Daylighters, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)
Morganville has changed since Claire and her friends left, as everyone seems happier and the vampires are nowhere to be seen. Now upon their arrival their group is separated, with the vampires Michael, Oliver, Myrnin and Jesse staked and taken and the humans arrested and bought to see the leader of the Daylight Foundation, Fallon. The Daylight groups aim is to free the humans from the fear and oppression of the vampires, and to bring salvation to both humans and the vampires. However, Claire and her friends know that they are not as moral as they seem, and have to try to break the vampires from a type of prison before the Daylighters make all vampires extinct.

Daylighters is the last book in the Morganville series and it is brilliant, as it has lots action and I never got bored. However, I did miss the different points of view from the previous books as I really liked seeing what others were thinking.

As this is the final book I can't help but look back as see how much the characters we first met in Glass Houses have changed and grown as people. Especially Claire, as she has developed into a strong, independent woman. This is really shown in Daylighters, as she has to deal with the grey area of doing what is right by trying to free the vampires, even though the humans feel safe and secure. Also, the other characters, particularly Shane and the rest of the Glass House, have developed as they are willing to stand up to the vampires and for what they believe in and I have loved getting to know them.

I am sad that this series has ended as I have really enjoyed reading them but at least it was a good ending and we got closure. I would recommend The Morganville series to anyone who likes YA paranormal books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morganville, 28 Dec. 2013
From the beginning of Glass House to end with this, was perfect. The end drew a natural grace to the quartet of friends. Best vampire books I've read in ages.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 27 Mar. 2014
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)

Morganville has been taken over by the Daylight Foundation, an organisation set of bring peace to those who have been terrorised by vampires. The vampires have been forced into an enclave, and the residents are feeling safe. The houses have had a make-over, people are no longer rushing home when they're out, and everyone is happy to have the vampires off the streets. This is the Morganville Claire comes home to, and she and her friends are split up humans and vampires - Claire, Shane and Eve, and Oliver, Myrnin, Jesse, and Michael. The Daylighters seem to think they can help the vampires as well as the humans, but there's something not quite right about head Daylighter, Fallon. Now Claire must do all she can to free her friends - but is that the right thing to do, when the humans are finally no longer scared?

As I said, I was so looking forward to this story, and the idea behind it was just awesome! Fallon was incredibly creepy with his normal, nice manner, having such bad ideas - for the good of the people! - and seeming to make sense. I loved Claire's moral dilemma with trying to work out what she should do. These are her friends and they are locked up. But these friends are vampires, and have caused so many problems for years. If she helps them to get out, she'll be condemning the humans back to a life of fear. Yet her friends have no freedom. What's the right thing to do?

There was a lot of potential for this story to get crazy dangerous, like other books in the series. I was waiting for it, eager for it... but it never really happened. There was tension all the way through, but things never seemed to get too bad. They headed in that direction, but then things seemed to conveniently work out. That really bugged me, so much. The way the story was going, you knew beforehand just how conveniently things were going to go before they happened. One of the things I loved most about this series was how unpredictable it was, but not so much with Daylighters. And there were several characters who just seemed to be left in the middle of things. Shane, Amelie, Myrnin - things happened with them, but we didn't find out until much later what the outcome of those things were.

Claire was on her own for most of this book, or skipping from being with one character to the next, and mostly everything that went right was her own doing (hurrah for character development and Claire finally being able to save others on her own, when she could barely save herself against Monica in Glass Houses - is that the point? She does it all in the final book?), and I really missed the other characters so much. It's the last book, and they weren't in it all that much. Monica got what I can only call a brief cameo. Monica. Michael was locked up, and Shane and Eve had their own things happening away from Claire. It was just weird. I really wanted to see my favourite four together kicking butt, and it never really happened.

All my issues are with this particular story though, not with the end of the series. Despite some rather awesome things that happened at the very end (which I would like to have seen in more detail!), it doesn't really feel like the end of the series. It didn't feel like a definitive ending, that there could never be another Morganville Vampires story. It's just the end of this story, and it felt very much like there could be more to come. Like it was decided there wouldn't be any more after this one, rather than making this specifically the very last book. But Caine says at the end of the book this is the very last one, so I find that kind of frustrating. I knew Daylighters would be the last book, but it doesn't feel like much of an end to me. There's no real closure for the series as a whole, I feel. Especially as I'm not going to see Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael again. I would have preferred a more closed door if there's no chance of there being more Morganville Vampires stories.

Overall, I'm kind of disappointed in this book. But there are all the others in the series that are awesome, and make up for this one. Just wish the series ended on a high rather than a low. Still worth a read if you like the series, despite the negatives - it still has all those awesome characters, after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great end to an amazing series, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)
So this is it, the end of Morganville. I cannot believe it's over, took me longer to get through the series than I planned (a whole month longer) but that wasn't due to the books, just my busy life and work getting in the way. I have really loved being a part of this world and feel like I could walk down the streets and talk to the characters as if I had been there for years. It feels like I have had to say goodbye to friends finishing this series, but I know I can always go back to visit.

So Claire and her friends return to Morganville after their brief stint in MIT. They've returned with an extra person too - Jesse the vampire we met in the previous book, which I was pleased about as I really liked her.But now they are back they are in for a shock- the Daylight foundation has taken over. All the vampires are being held in an 'enclave' although it sounds more like a sophisticated prison camp. The humans finally have the freedom they craved, but just what are the Daylighters going to do with the vamps. Whatever it is Claire knows it can't be good. Not wanting to choose sides she has to figure out what is right and what ultimately will bring about the most peaceful future.

I read most of this book this morning in one sitting and was totally hooked, it's a bit more moral than the rest, makes you think about what makes one persons life more valuable than another but the book isn't preachy or trying to tell you what to think, it just makes you stop and wander.

Having read this far, as I'm sure every Morganville fan will agree, it is impossible to choose a side. I love Claire, Shane and Eve, even Hannah Moses is cool and a mix of other background characters would be friendly neighbours. But then I also love Amelie, Myrnin, Oliver, and a host of other vamps. There is no way I could pick one side over the other.

The Daylighters are written perfectly, they really make my spine tingle and my hairs stand on end. Something about them just leaks a feeling of evil, bad intentions, but they can also charm you and make you think they may have a point. The sort of villain that appears as a friend, would pull you into a hug and then stab you in the back whilst still smiling at you. It's creepy - bravo Miss Caine, splendid writing!

I couldn't wait to find out how it would all end but I didn't want it to be over. I was however left with a feeling of 'completeness', like everything was right. It isn't completely wrapped up, there is some open ends, but they are so well built up that I can picture a future for them and know it's all ok. Enough is brought to a satisfying end that you are more filling in the gaps than writing your own ending which is how I like it.

This is a series I will always treasure and re-visit and thoroughly recommend to anyone. There is so much to experience and fall in love with that you will count yourself as an honorary Morgnaville resident and never want to leave.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect End to the series, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)
This is a book I have been waiting for since May. Yep, a whole 6 months since I read Fall of Night and NEEDED to know how this epic series was going to end.

I have to admit, whilst it was a bit anti climactic, there was no other way for this series to end. Caine was able to tie up every lose end which gave readers and fans of the series closure. I've seen more than one person saying it felt as if they were saying goodbye to good friends.

The characters were the biggest draw of the series for me. Shane, Claire, Eve, and Michael in particular. Considering these are YA books, these four characters never delt as if they'd been babied down for the intended audience. They swear, they make mistake, and they have sex. Nothing is gratuitous, it's all done with taste and give them that essential third dimension to make them realistic.

Daylighters picks up not long after the ending of Fall of night and our motley crew have returned to Morganville. Things are different as the vamps are no longer in charge. That's a good thing, right? You'd think so, but Claire and the gang are resolved to turn things around to save their friends and loved ones.

With the help of recurring characters, they fight the good fight, but will they succeed and survive? Well, i'm not going to spoil it for you.

Once again, Caine is able to suck you into a world that seems entirely plausible and makes the reader think a lot of "what ifs". This is the sign of a good book. if you feel like it could happen... somewhere, then instantly you feel as if you are part of the story.

As with all the other books in the series, I couldn't put it down until I knew what happened. A page turner from the very beginning, this is a series I will definitely read again now it's complete. I'm not quite ready to say goodbye.

5.0 out of 5 stars So sad to see this series go, but what a FANTASTIC finale!!! :D, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)
I literally spent the entire day reading the book and I found the ending bittersweet. I didn't want to let go,Rachel Caine's fabulous writing got me through pretty boring breaks when I was studying at college, and entertained me when I had nothing to do, and I never once grew tired of this series. I say this so much but it's the truth; if Rachel Caine made a film adaptation of Morganville BEFORE Twilight sucked the life out of the 'vamp' side of films, I'm positive Twilight would be non-existent! The Morganville Vampires were really dangerous, not always ornamented (e.g. sparkling lol - nope, they burned and blistered horribly in sunlight)to make the humans swoon, they were classy, truly old fashioned - I loved how she incorporated real history...And most of all, Rachel Caine never played it safe with the scenarios in the book, and never once failed to make me feel so many emotions at once - happy, sad, tearful, angered...And the characters - Gosh I love them all. With some I enjoyed to hate them :D (I apologize to Twilight fans for bashing at it, but Morganville is something else...Something too awesome for words!)Gah! This series truly was amazing! :'( At least we have the Web Series to look forward to!!! I won't say too much about Daylighters because I don't want to spoil the experience by giving away details but you MUST read it :) One last thing, the greatest thing about the series is the fact that because it doesn't bore me, I have no problem reading it from the beginning - you may pick up on parts that you couldn't remember reading and be surprised (like when Myrnin was ill and called Claire an offensive name...) Morganville & it's residents, I salute you. :) <3

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series but the ending was disappointing, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)
So everyone arrives back in Morganville only to be arrested and get split up. They discover the Daylight Foundation has taken over Morganville and ousted the vamps from their post as rulers. Everyone seems happier and Morganville is suddenly safer but Claire, Eve and Shane realise that it's not all it seems and that maybe it WAS better with the vamps in control rather than the weird Daylighters. They find out that the guy in charge has a "cure" for vampirism and is looking for volunteers, but nothing is ever as it seems, is it?

This book saddens me because it's the last book in an amazing series, it also saddens me that the cheesy ending really ruined the book for me. I kinda wish I could go back in time and tell me to just finish a bit earlier and leave on a high.

I don't think I'm going to be able to do a spoiler free review so I'm not going to try. The following section will contain spoilers, you can highlight to read if you don't mind.

SPOILERS REMOVED FOR AMAZON REVIEW

The story itself is just as interesting as the rest of the series, it really is just the ending that lets it down. Despite that, I will still recommend the Morganville series to others - it's a great series with lots of ups and downs and some great characters, plus it's getting made into a TV show thanks to the fans (myself included). I love the series and it's sad to see it end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it as always, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)
I am a MASSIVE fan of the Morganville series and I have to say I am sad that it has come to an end. The whole series is based around 4 teenagers aged around 18 and a whole town run by vampires which is a magnet for trouble. The 4 teenagers Claire Michael, Eve and Shane are always in the middle of the storm. This book I would say is a classic read for the teenagers but is also a good read for adults who enjoy the fictional world of vampires ghosts and magic. I am 30 and I read all 15 books and loved everyone of them. As always Rachel Caine had me bursting with suspense as I was flipping pages and I was almost crying as the story unfolded to what could have been a very tragic end for all vampires of Morganville and especially for lovers Michael and Eve and Shane and Claire. It had lots of twists and turns to all the main characters paths that was all laid out to end in death but as you all know it takes a lot to bring down Claire, Eve, Michael, Shane, Oliver, Hanna, Amelie and Myrnin but at what cost this time? It's a good end to the series but I would have liked it to end a little differently as it seemed a bit open? But I loved just the same as the others. So it's 10/10 from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Ending, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)
I must say that I feel a little sad that this great series came to an end. Great to get to know the characters through each book. Loved Myrnin. Shane definitely grew on me too. It will be good if there was another one to follow up, now that they are all grown up and settled. Myrnin seems to have met his match too.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHOA! A-MAZ-ING!, 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) (Paperback)
This is series has been killing me for ages!
It has a captivating beginning and compelling storyline, I love the characters and the relationships displayed.
This final book was just as amazing and i tore through it! - Fast delivery and best price found.
It came in good condition too . . . I'm sad the series had ended but privileged to have gone through it with the characters.
Claire Bear is a smart, strong, young women now and is in no way the same scared little girl she used to be!
I'm glad that things work out for her but I wish we could see if any of the characters have children in the end!
I would love to know how Myrnin gets on and if he still pines for Claire! I want Eve and Michael to have their own house with their own children and for Miranda to permanently live with her 'sort-of adoptive Mother' . . .
But it's up to our imagination now<3 Perfect ending for a perfect series! X

Daylighters (Morganville Vampires)
Daylighters (Morganville Vampires) by Rachel Caine (Paperback - 5 Nov. 2013)