Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now

Fall of Night: Morganville Vampires Book 14
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£5.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 May 2013
Stayed up until 3 am finishing this book and it was well worth it. Even after 14 books this still remains my favourite series. After the cliffhanger ending I'm counting down the days until the next book
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been following The Morganville Vampires for quite some time. Given that there are 14 books in the series so far you'd be forgiven for thinking that they would be getting boring, or the whole premise of the books would be getting old. Far from it. Somehow Caine has managed to keep the story alive and keep the characters from getting stagnant. And surprising her readers!

I have always enjoyed the previous books in the series, I have laughed and cried with the characters. In so many ways these people feel like real friends.. I am invested in their well-being and happiness, and as much as I know it's a little crazy I have real life reactions to certain aspects of the story.. like last night; I was sitting up late reading and I realised it was getting ever closer to 1am and I had to be up early to get the kids ready for school so I agreed (with myself) that I would read to the end of THIS chapter and then go to bed. Well then Claire did something that was so unlike Claire and the chapter ended. Just like that. For a second I was in shock and then I was really angry because the thing that she did was so horrible and it affected one of my most favourite characters ever.... Myrnin. I actually slammed my book down on the sofa and ranted... (my husband already knows I'm crazy so it doesn't matter that he was witness to this)... How dare she do that! How on earth could she do that? A small part of me rationalised that she did what she did for a very good reason.... the rest of me wanted to punch her in the face! (I promise I'm not usually the violent type but I think I was channelling Shane).

I thought I may have been down with the shouting at the book once I moved past the next chapter but the ending sucker punched me. I shouted at the book again, for the way the book ended and for the fact that I need to wait until November for the very last instalment in the series. As an author, if you elicit this kind of reaction from a constant reader, then you have written your story and your characters well. Or rather, bloody brilliantly.

Before I finish up my review I need to just tell you about Myrnin... he may well be my most favourite of Vampires ever! He has so many quirky qualities I couldn't even begin to list them. If you've read the series you will know what I mean.. From the clothes that he wears, to his vampire bunny slippers (I totally want a pair of my own), to his relationship with Claire. I don't know of ANY character who has made me laugh as much as he has. So I'm including a small quote from a part of the book that made me laugh out loud whilst reading last night.

Oliver says to Myrnin "And you look as weak as a kitten."

"Do I?" Myrnin asked, and smiled slowly. It had a sharp edge of lunacy to it. He made a purring sound low in his throat. "Do try and pet me then. You can report back how sharp my claws might be, once your throat grows back."

I know some people are already dreading reading the last in the series because then it will be over... I look forward to reading the whole series back to back and fully immersing myself in Morganville and her characters. Again and again.
on 5 June 2013
Claire has decided to move out of Morganville and go to her dream school MIT; however, it is hard to leave her friends (even Myrnin) but especially her boyfriend, Shane, as things are a bit uncertain since he did not trust her in the last book. She is enrolled in a special advanced program with an ex-Morganville resident Irene Anderson, and together they work on VLAD, a machine which is meant to cancel out a vampire's abilities. At the same time Shane has travelled to MIT to look out for and be close to Claire, but he does not want to interfere and endanger their rocky relationship. However, after things start to go wrong such as stalkers, mysterious government agents and VLAD not working the way she designed, Claire begins to think that leaving Morganville will be the most dangerous and last mistake she will ever make.

Fall of Night is the penultimate book in the Morganville Vampires series and it is back on form since Bitter Blood with everything I have grown to love from Morganville books (apart from Morganville as, strangely, I did miss it a bit).

I really like Claire and Shane in this book, as they learn about both themselves and each other, and it shows what a strong yet complicated relationship they have. I also liked the new characters introduced in this book but especially Jesse as I think she will have an important role to in the next book. That being said the usual characters where not in this book as much as I would have wanted as we did not see people such as Monica and Amelie, and even Eve, Michael and Myrnin were not in as much I would have liked and I really missed them.

Despite this I really loved Fall of Night and cannot wait to see how Caine ends this series in Daylighters. I would recommend the Morganville series to fans of Vampire Academy, The Mortal Instruments and The Drake Chronicles.

P.S. Thanks Rachel Caine for signing my copy of Fall of Night!
on 29 June 2013
Fall of Night, Fall of Night.. not quite as bad as Bite Club, but no where near as good as Bitter Blood. In fact, this is a Morganville novel of two parts. The part where Claire is alone in this new town, and the part where everybody suddenly appears. The first part was just kind of boring.. sorry, but Morganville without Myrnin and Eve et al just isn't the same. But then the second part woke up and we have a Morganville book that is once again fast paced and unpredictable and that made up a bit for the first half.

The thing I love most about the Morganville books is how easy to read they are. No matter what mood you're in, how tired you are, they are easy, fun reads that are readable where many other books aren't at certain times and I will always love them for this.

At the end of Bitter Blood, Amelie releases Claire, allowing her to leave Morganville to seek out more at MIT. Oliver is exiled for the part he played in her potential downfall, despite him being under the control of Naomi at the time, and Shane is most definitely in Claire's bad books after seriously believing that she would cheat on him with Michael. I was pretty excited to see where all of this would lead in Fall of Night and I was under the impression that Shane would be going with Claire. I was wrong. She decided that she needed some space to get over the hurt he did her and somewhat teach him a lesson that she wasn't so weak as to just forgive him. I thought she was being a little bit stubborn but at the very least, she stood her ground. Good girl. Still, I found her whiny and ridiculous, more so than usual.

There's a whole host of new characters. Claire is to be roomates with her old best friend from high school, Liz. Though the moment we meet her, something is wrong. She's high maintenance and thus very difficult to be around for Claire, especially as she is trying to be something she evidently isn't, and seems to be very up and down with her moods. Claire can tell something has happened to this girl in the time Claire was in Morganville, and this guy stalking her isn't helping matters. There's the professor lady Claire's to be working with who was once an assistant of Myrnin's also. She seems pretty trustworthy, which let's face it, doesn't mean a thing in a Morganville book. Then there's Jesse and Pete who are an awesome pair of characters, who help professor lady and work in the same bar Shane does. Yeah, that's right. Shane ignored Claire's wishes and followed her to keep an eye on her. Kind of sweet, also kind of wrong. I'm still not sure what I think of this.

We start hearing talk about the Daylight Foundation, who I'm unsure about. Sure they are the ultimate bad guy for the vampires, but I don't think they'll be any where near as interesting as Bishop or the Draug in my honest opinion, though they're pretty ruthless.. which is in their favour as a bunch of scary bad guys. At the end of the day, this is the last Morganville book before the grand finale and even if it's not the best instalment so far, you absolutely must read it before Daylighters, which is going to be all kinds of epic if that massive cliffhanger at the end of Fall of Night reveals anything. Oh and what was with that vicious dog bite of Shane's? It's referred to throughout the book but nothing is ever really revealed about it. Is he a were-dog now? Some kind of super vamp killer? Was it just a rapid dog? What? I felt that storyline just kind of floundered, and sure, if it's going to be looked at later on but it needed something a little more in this book for all of the build it got.

As I said on Goodreads when I finished reading Fall of Night, and I quote, "Hmm. The first half wasn't as good as usual but then it all started happening and it got pretty intense and.. blam. I just. CLIFFHANGER. Gah."
on 15 September 2014
I couldn't get bored with this series if I tried. The characters living in the Glass house are absolutely superb. Shane and Michael are different in lots of ways but both lovable. Claire and Eve are such brilliant characters too. As for Myrnin, I love everything about him, from being impredictable to his dress sense.

Claire managed to get out of Morganville to achieve her dream of studying at MIT even though she is going to miss all those she was closed to, despite their relationships being fragile after what happened in the last book. Unbeknown to her Shane followed.

How wrong was Claire, when she though that everything will be more "normal" here but yet again trouble followed her. A very interesting read with totally unexpected sequence of events.

Would totally recommend to Morganville fans but then again, anyone who has read don't need any recommendations but if you haven't read this series and like YA with Vampires with a difference, this is really worth a try.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm so close to the end and I am excited, nervous, happy and sad all at once. I just can't believe it's all going to end.

So book 14 is finished and I just don't know what to feel, that was one heck of a book. Just woah!!! OK, I have to catch my breath.

Right here goes, I was a bit nervous about this book, we have entured outside Morganville before - once and it was a great story, but this time it was just Claire and it felt kind of final, at least before it was the group and we knew they would go back. So I didn't know what to expect and if I would like Claire outside of Morganville. Turns out I shouldn't have worried, and I should know to trust Caine by now because this book was totally awesome, in fact I think it's one of my favourites in the series. Yeah I missed the whole feeling and setting of Morganville but this created so many new and awesome opportunities and some great new characters too. I really liked Jesse and Pete they were like Eve and Michael in attitude but again not a substitute for the real things but still kick butt.

It was interesting to see how Claire reacted in a new place - she got used to being rather important in Morganville but now she's just one of many in a big place and I liked to see her vulnerable side back - it was slightly reminiscent of the Claire from the early books, but you could still see how much she had grown and developed.

Shane is just amazing, a total douche at times but totally well meaning and he really has grown through the series and it's great to see so many different sides to him.

I really liked how Caine mixed the two worlds together and brought the whole storyline round, I didn't guess at any of what she planned and it was very exciting to read. Seeing everything come together and in such an explosive way.

I seriously can't even form a sensible review here I'm just blown away. If you haven't read this series yet I highly recommend it, you seriously have to do it. Grab book 1 (because this has to be done in order!) and get reading.
on 4 August 2013
As I love the Morganville Vampires series, it will be no surprise to hear I was so excited to read Fall of Night! And no surprise that I loved it!

It's so awesome to have a book set outside Morganville. It's strange, because although Morganville is full of vampires, residents know this, and, sure, there may be trouble sometimes, but everyone knows how things work. Outside of Morganville... you don't know how things work. How safe is "safe"? By not knowing the area, even without vampires, the fact that you know they exist makes you weary in unknown places. Better the devil you know, right? So Claire gets to Cambridge to attend MIT, and has trouble shaking Morganville off. It doesn't help that she's there without her friends. Or that Professor Anderson is a former Morganville resident, and keeps her on her toes.

Despite the fact that Claire's on her own, Fall of Night is another dual narrative, told from Shane's point of view. Seeing them both struggle with being apart, on top of them both having to deal with Claire's feelings of disappoint over Shane's lack of trust in Bitter Blood in hard. Neither of them are really all that happy, but Claire feels their relationship needs this time apart, time to sort out where their heads are, in order for them to survive as a couple.

Fall of Night is another action packed novel full of danger, it's just with this one, you never know where the danger is coming from! When Claire's roommate is abducted, and they later discover that VLAD has been stolen from Dr. Anderson's lab, all hell breaks loose. Two separate or related incidents? And which to deal with first? I can't really say much more than that without giving the story away but it's just as awesome as all the previous books!

And the ending! Oh my god! So looking forward to Daylighters to see how that pans out, yet I can wait a really long time for it, because I know once I've read it, that will be it. There's not much else to say, really. The book is amazing, Rachel Caine is amazing, the series is amazing - and I don't want it to end!
on 26 May 2013
Claire travels to MIT, moving in with her old BFF Liz, and leaving behind all of her friends and her boyfriend, Shane. At least, so she thinks.
The drama from Morganville basically travels right with her in the end, along with her closest friends. I was worried about this book not taking place in Morganville - on one hand, I thought it could be a refreshing change, to have different people, but on the other I thought it sounded really boring. MIT is not the most exciting setting for a vampire adventure story.
But actually the book's really good, if a little short. Still not as good as my personal favourites (which are probably Bite Club and Ghost Town) but it set up a new storyline for this book and the last one, while incorporating the old characters whose stories matter.
One of the things that disappointed me a little was the relationship between Myrnin and Claire. I thought Rachel Cane could have made that a little more interesting, as I think it's one of the most entertaining aspects of the books. Although I do like the pairing of Shane and Claire, and there was a lot in FoN with those two.
I'm really looking forward to the last book (Daylighters) and am hoping it sends the series off spectacularly, as it deserves. This book ends with Claire's arrival back in Morganville, so Daylighters should be set there. Definitely recommend this to fans of the series, there's less politics than the last one and no Draug, but a lot of action and interesting changes in characters. Some cool new characters, too.
on 20 May 2013
I can't believe we're approaching the end of this series and I for one am going to miss the residents of Morganville... Yes, all of them. But we're not quite there yet.

In book 14, Fall of Night, Claire has decided to get out of town in order to re-address her life and figure out what it is that she really wants. This sees her attending MIT and living in Cambridge away from all of her friends, including boyfriend Shane. Or so she thinks. She moves in with her old BFF from high school and begins a life away from the dangers of Morganville where she hopes to just have a bit of normalcy while she gets on with her studies and figures things out.

Oh no... Never going to happen. After all, this is Claire Danvers were talking about here.

Things soon start to get weird and unexplained events begin to unfold around her leaving her to question who she can actually trust and feeling more alone than ever.

I really enjoyed this instalment of the Morganville Vampires and I think that Rachel Caine has done a great job of taking us out of the normal surroundings of Morganville, and away from some of they key characters from previous books. I personally found it quite refreshing to be in another environment especially as we got to meet some new characters. One I particularly liked was Jesse who was pretty badass from the moment she first appeared and I hope we see a lot more of her in the next book.

This is another great story from Rachel Caine. There was plenty of action, adventure, some surprises and what a great cliffhanger to leave us with! Certainly has me excited for the final book Daylighters. If you're a fan of the Morganville Vampires then you will no doubt really enjoy this instalment. If you haven't read them yet and fancy reading a series with a unique take on the Vampire genre, with some very loveable characters (I wish I was part of Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael's gang!) then I highly recommend them to readers of any age. I'm a thirty-something who loves this Teen/YA book series so... don't ever think you're too old for this genre!

Read my full review at mybooksnthings.com
on 5 May 2013
I pre-ordered this last year and when it finally came(I did I little happy snoopy dance)I started reading right away and I can't even believe how amazing it was. It was abit slow at first but just kept getting better and better.

The book is from Claire and Shane's point of view, I did miss myrnin, michael and eve(even thought she can be a bitch at times) in the beginning but they soon come to Claire. There's some new characters but I didn't like them much. The 'bff' Liz is annoying and it wouldn't have been a huge loss if she'd been killed off. And Jesse is making eyes at myrnin (abit jealous) and he's loving it which is probably a good thing cos maybe he can get over what he feels for Claire. annoying how nobody seems to trust Claire when it counts the most, but they are only human I guess. At the end of the book I kept thinking what is Rachel caine doing to the characters I love, cos she really puts them through the wringer.

I really wish daylighters wasn't the last book because I could read about them forever. anyway if you didn't already guess, I really recommend fall of night and the whole series. and don't let the fact its a young adult book about vampires(and so much more) put you off its one of the great ones. It ends on a cliffhanger and the wait for daylighters is going to kill me and I'm sure I'll be crying me eyes out when it all ends.